AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing out in planted tank... again :P

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Growing out in planted tank... again :P

Elliot if interested I have some westeria and hygro I could send your way. Both fast growing and growing good in discus tank. Westeria needs light so put it higher up in the tank. Will put up pics if you’d like. Also is it the same fish in pics 4 and 5 and are those from Mac. Also how big are they now? Look to have doubled in size.

PeeWee, thanks! I love how my past aquascapes had tons of plants and some cooler driftwood though. I just haven't found the next "perfect-to-pastry piece"

Hey Tom! I might take you up on that! Once I get new lights then I'm sure all of my java fern, anubias, and swords will start reproducing out of control again. I'll send some if you want!
    Pic 4 is a male RR... my current "dad"
    Pic 5 is one of my 3Rs... soooooo red! But still a brown-based red which is my jam.

Here are some previous scapes I've had:

20150322_095111.jpg

20200720_175351.jpg

20180217 (1) (1) (1) (1) (1) (1) (1) (1) (1).jpg
    -Elliot

Ugghhh... tank is still ugly compared to what I want. Still need to get different DW. Also added additional old lighting to get the plants to rebound. Embarrassed to post this tank layout but I promised the truth...

20200824_010915.jpg
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Tom

Hey Elliot it seems the red and brown I put up earlier have mated. Have eggs as of yesterday but seems like fungus today. Looks like peewee called it. The red I think is the male. Will see what happens. As to my bare bottom tank I gave up on it.477BCB87-BD49-42AB-867D-F6AE4FA5C240.jpg I moved them into the 75 .

Registered Member

Play with it a bit, Elliott. The tank looks good I think. The fish will be happy if you make it look like their Amazon home

Thanks PeeWee! Still, I want my plants back! I love the contrast of the bright green against the discus. He'll get back to normal since I added a few old like that I had previously taken out. Just going to take time. I just have to stop watching the pot of water and waiting for it to start boiling!
    Last edited by pastry; 08-25-2020 at 12:17 AM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Hey Elliot it seems the red and brown I put up earlier have mated. Have eggs as of yesterday but seems like fungus today. Looks like peewee called it. The red I think is the male. Will see what happens. As to my bare bottom tank I gave up on it.477BCB87-BD49-42AB-867D-F6AE4FA5C240.jpg I moved them into the 75 .
    You moved the suspected pair to a 25, Tom? See what happens for a few weeks. If nothing them maybe leave the female and then exchange males.

Tom, in my community tank usually only a few eggs whatever turn white. But the current City water company that took over a few years ago has done something to the water. I currently have a beautiful pair spawning and after many tries they still can't get Beyond about 30 hatchlings out of about 250 eggs. My tank of course isn't designed to be clean, but holy crap what a difference.

I like PeeWee's advice plus your decision. And I'm going to say it before someone else does, yes, your Discus are on the small size and possibly stunted but they can still reproduce successfully. My first ever pair to raise little ones in a community tank with a ton of tank mates were 2
    Stunted lfs discus (with attitudes!). Have fun and keep us posted, boss!
    -Elliot

I'm going to stop this thread. The new water company has messed with the tap so much that I can't keep doing my method of using straight from tap pWCs anymore but I'm not setting up an aging process since we're moving soon.

Just lost beautiful female without warning. I can't even figure it out.

I'll start a 3rd one of these once we move. Still staying nearby (same water source) but I'm immediately setting up 2 water aging barrels, switching from canister to sump (building a whole new cabinet & canopy), and starting over with a new crew of discus. I'll move the current ones to another tank.

Ugghhhh... so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But yet another sign I need to change my scheme of maneuver
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Good luck with the move and the new system, thanks for sharing your story.

Thanks Dave!
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Good job all around, Elliott, looking forward to seeing your new post from your new home.

Thanks PeeWee! I can't wait to re-cock the whole set-up. I'll still be a dumbass and take some risks (local sand, find my own DW, etc) but I don't have a choice anymore on using tap without aging. The cabinet I make will be flanked by tall, wide, matching pillars that will hide an aging barrel in each. I'm going to plumb the shhhhh
    .. out of it! Plus sump within cabinet. The whole idea will be, "Work hard upfront... to be lazy "
    -Elliot

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Elliot, sorry to hear about your current situation but love the plan moving forward. You definitely need to do a build thread on that stand. Sounds very interesting
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Sooo... I know I said I am ending this thread, because of the previously mentioned situation with water and getting ready to move, but... I bought a few more discus & moved around Aquascape again

"Why?"

It was a combination of 3 things:
    (1) wife said, " I really like it when you shape it up the way you want it because people immediately get hypnotized by it and of course that could always help with getting a good price on the house since it's been so cool in the past..." ( she later regretted saying that... )
    (2) impatience
    (3) beer, wine, & fireball

With the current water situation I should not have purchased them. However, it was someone local who I never tried before but the Price was Right and I am definitely impressed with what they gave me. I might just have to make a temporary aging water process while at the current house. I also need to add a little bit more driftwood.

I'll take a few pics with camera in a few hours.
    -Elliot

I will try getting some much better pictures with my actual camera instead of my phone camera on this next coming weekend if able. Until then,...

e1.jpg

e2.jpg

e3.jpg

e4.jpg

e5.jpg

e6.jpg
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 09-16-2020 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Fixed pics
    -Elliot

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast