AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing out in planted tank... again :P

Registered Member

Default Re: Growing out in planted tank... again :P

Can you tell me what LED lights you have over your tanks. I've got a 75 gallon tank with plants but I'm afraid
    of algee due to lights that are to strong.

PeeWee, any updated pics on your reds?

Trose, right now just temporarily using:
    1. Strip of LEDs from Lowes (literally have a sticky side so I stuck them under bottom of my lid). They aren't strong enough for great growth... but cheap for temp solution.
    2. Added 15" LED aquarium strip from old, small tank in order to get a little extra help for growth in mean time.

T5s were the best for me when I used to use them (a white bulb and a pink). But too hot and not as energy efficient as LEDs. I had a custom LED strip made around 2012-13 and it has now gone out at portions (and OEM is no more). A little red light with white makes my plants fatter. Blue with white made them long & skinny (and made brown based red discus look dark). Check out page 13 of old thread (post#186)... I have a good comparison visual you might like (hell, I even forgot about it)
    Last edited by pastry; 06-09-2020 at 08:29 PM.
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    PeeWee, any updated pics on your reds?

Trose, right now just temporarily using:
    1. Strip of LEDs from Lowes (literally have a sticky side so I stuck them under bottom of my lid). They aren't strong enough for great growth... but cheap for temp solution.
    2. Added 15" LED aquarium strip from old, small tank in order to get a little extra help for growth in mean time.

T5s were the best for me when I used to use them (a white bulb and a pink). But too hot and not as energy efficient as LEDs. I had a custom LED strip made around 2012-13 and it has now gone out at portions (and OEM is no more). A little red light with white makes my plants fatter. Blue with white made them long & skinny (and made brown based red discus look dark). Check out page 13 of old thread (post#186)... I have a good comparison visual you might like (hell, I even forgot about it)
    I asked my son to take photos but so far no luck.

Real Name
    Tom

Well I’ve got a pic of my red . 05ECACA6-8417-42DA-BA26-BD25C0C5BDBF.jpg any idea if male or female. Comin at ya at 10:47 peewee .

I'll take a swag! Girl! (But I'm usually wrong! ) Either way, "wow" on the red factor. How old is it? Curious
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Tom

I bought it nov last year from uncle sams. Bought it at 5” and it grew an inch. Bought it with a green that is brown8E5ED915-762F-4F29-988B-9D042504DD02.jpg the red is a funny fish. Healthy but if there’s a water problem this fish turns black and gets pimples all over it. 2 water changes and there gone. Black and pimply it still goes after food with out a problem. Just strange.
    And is this too a female? I got a feeling I’ve got 13 females in my125 and that can’t be good
    Last edited by Iminit; 06-09-2020 at 11:30 PM.

Tom, I'm not even sure if first one is female. My gut says they're both female... but my gut also made me think, "Is that the same fish? Just different lighting?" VERY similar shape, eye body ratio, etc.

Totally a believer that NO ONE can tell 100% unless witnessing spawning (and seeing eggs come out of only one). While a better bet, still don't go off size, colors, pointed dorsal & anal fins, who's more aggressive, that dumb drawing I've seen on intersecting lines on/outside of tail from casual & dorsal fins' back-half... even during spawning, if you think the female has the more blunt, larger tube but don't watch eggs come out, then you could still be wrong... because some males are hung like Ron Jeremy

Funny you mentioned Uncle Sam's sending green that's brown... had same experience but didn't argue since still liked the fish.
    -Elliot

20200612_185034.jpg
    Here they go. Male miiiiight have had a few "non-blanks"... we'll see. Spawned approx 22 hours ago. I'm thinking one or two more spawns before he fertilizes at least a third/half buuuut... I'm not interfering. If there are even 1 or 2 wiggles, I'm leaving them alone.

I do think they'll be strong enough parents to raise some fry.

20200612_184928.jpg
    -Elliot

Yeah, probably going to be all white again.
    20200613_180427.jpg

Once the Male stops shooting blanks, I'm willing to bet this pair raises little ones to maturity without intervention
    -Elliot

Yeah... male shot blanks again. No sign of ANY fertilized. He was even better this time of sharing fanning duties and "fire watch" though. I'll take that.

I'm going to go ahead and go into periodic update mode unless anything worthwhile happens in the tank. I still plan to improve Aquascape but will probably stick to once a week or once every other week updates on growth.
    -Elliot

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Bugger mate, hope for the joy next time!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Well I’ve got a pic of my red . 05ECACA6-8417-42DA-BA26-BD25C0C5BDBF.jpg any idea if male or female. Comin at ya at 10:47 peewee .
    suspect male, Tom. The other female. That is my giess and I am sticking with it.

Haven't forgotten about this thread but big time busy with my regular job plus burning midnight oil standing up my own company (didn't plan on that but a supporter in the past came back and basically reignited that effort). All 6 Alenquers (the tiny ones... bad parentingon my part) died but the 5 young ones from <bleep> are doing quite well. The older 4 are fine. The RR and Alenquer cross finally had a spawn with fertile eggs. Only about 30 wigglers. I think within the next 2 or 3 spawns they'll raise a few. Saw a few free swimmers eating off of parents one of the mornings but unless there are about 100 then none will make it. The past pairs to be successful in the community tank usually had 100-150 free swimmers, 20-30 would make it to 3 weeks, then a few beyond 6-9 weeks since I don't put effort into them. I think I might try netting out 6-8 if it happens with this pair and put them in my son's 26 gallon to help them... we'll see... I have to kill his fish first though... lol... kidding... (maybe)
    -Elliot

20200720_011220.jpg

Suuuuure, Mac... this isn't a Pigeon blood (I don't claim to be the sharpest tool in the shed... but I didn't get into discus yesterday, schmuck)

Below are updated pics. Plant growth sucks. I just added stronger lighting like I used to have (on timer... lights on these photos are weak LEDs for evening). Still need to get "sexier" driftwood. I don't like the current scape.

20200720_011433.jpg

20200720_010713.jpg

20200720_010513.jpg

20200720_010505.jpg

20200720_010712.jpg

20200720_010518.jpg
    -Elliot

Registered Member

I like yout tank as it is, Elliot.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast