AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing out in planted tank... again :P

Default Re: Growing out in planted tank... again :P

-Elliot

What the heck!!!!!! I tried a quarter turn so the pics would be rightside up... now they're quarter turned!?!?!?!?
    -Elliot

-Elliot

I give up... one is sideways and one isn't? Ugghhh
    -Elliot

-Elliot

Last edited by pastry; 10-31-2021 at 12:07 AM.
    -Elliot

Myrtle Beach Discus had 3 I couldn't resist
    20211105_230710.jpg
    20211105_230631.jpg
    20211105_230546.jpg
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Tom

Nice!! Must learn resistance!!!. Good luck! Must ask what type of camera are you using?

Hey Tom! Just using my phone (Samsung). Unfortunately, most of my posted pics come out sideways!
    -Elliot

Any Catholics or prior-Catholics (like me... raised but not "classified" anything anymore) in the house? Because, "Forgive me, Father,... for I have sinned." I hated confession by the way... yet somehow ended up painfully honest on anything (sooner or later ... but "later" on this one).

Sooooo... if you don't know already, I've ALWAYS admitted that, although I believe in the discus keeping best practices preached here, I regularly disregard a handful of cardinal rules (e.g., I often don't quarantine new fish, I have substrate & dw & plants, I only do 2 65% WCs a week.... even if juvies). Anyhow, in Feb 2020 I ordered 2 new discus and put them straight into my tank. A week later, one of them started hanging high in a corner (never a good sign) and had wierd poo (never the same poo... but a menu of poo). Since the, I would see some discus do just fine, but others wither away. So I'd add more... some new ones would wither soon after... and one or 2 "original discus" would do so as well.

What I'm getting to is:
    -I was too proud to speak up
    -I also didn't speak up because... those were from Kenny... who many of us still cherish. No way would I bring up... even if he were still with us, it wasn't his fault... all my fault for not following QT measures (I can't prove that fish was even the cause to any of it ... but even if so, I'd give anything to buy more from Kenny & harass his awesome arse)
    -I've never experienced this rate of decline
    -I think it's time to come clean because I've watched some of my favorite discus all of a sudden take a turn that shouldn't have occurred (regardless of my non-bb and WC regime)

I know, there's a disease section with Questions to answer, but I'm telling you right now that I'm going to do a metro treatment.... and not using a hospital tank (treating THE actual tank so I don't make fish better but then place back into tank.)

I've seen the recent metro thread, but dear God, I'm still seeing different mg's per 10 gallons. Regardless, would I be fine doing the highest dose I've read (500mg/10g)? And can I use crushed up pill versions from chewy.com since it's cheapest for me due to 150 gallon tank plus 30 gallon sump? I am very anti-meds with aquariums so trust me... this feels like confession... but I'd love any input and I know in the end, no matter what, it's on me
    Last edited by pastry; 12-22-2021 at 11:50 PM.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Tom

Well before you treat put up pictures! Let’s see what your fish have. Is it just strange poo or are they dark in color? I too am not a fan of meds. Next open up a thread like this in the disease section. More people will see it there. The disease pros are there. They helped me earlier in the year. I too started with metro and quickly realized it was the wrong med. sorry your havin problems but hopefully it can all be solved. Next get a qt tank!! It is best for you and your fish. Qt everything. For me nothing goes in any of my tanks without qt for a month.

Real Name
    Francis

IMO best place to buy metronidazole is at Jehmco 100 gm for $15, I seen people people dosing at 1 gm per 10 gallons with good results.

https://www.jehmco.com/html/medications.html
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Tom, I might... but still going to move fwd with metro (I know... nice again I'm not doing the smartest thing which is to properly answer the Q's in the disease section... but I've been combing through threads there for a good bit of time and made up my mind on metro... but after analyzing it all, the conclusion I drew was "You can't overdose, but you can certainly under dose or short dose (duration). The strange poo was only occurring with that specific discus (no worm coming out like I've run into in the past and was an easy to identify and treat). It really did have a ton of variations... fat dark turds shaped like a fat sideways snake eye, long semi clear skinny turd/string, whitish crap, etc. It didn't eat for a long time, then all of a sudden was "part of the gang", feisty, and feasting on food (yet never gained much weight, nor growth). It didn't even die until about 3 months ago when it reversed back to before. Meanwhile, no rythm nor rhyme, young healthy adults would (not at same time) start withering away within approx 10-15 days. I've always been a sub-par discus keeper but a consistent one with routine and I've never experienced this. It doesn't affect all at once (but only discus). I had a pair in the middle of a spawning cycle and totally acting healthy until one day, the dad had zero interest in anything and slowly deteriorated over 12-14 days.

Francis, I love the hell out of you for that info
    -Elliot

Just a few picture updates but really wanted to test a new start of compression app and see how the results are when posting on here.

20211220_223758.jpg

20211213_215940.jpg

20211220_224103.jpg

20211213_215910.jpg

20211106_002224.jpg
    -Elliot

YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!... my pictures are right side up!
    -Elliot

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast