AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how many fish tanks do you have?

Default Re: how many fish tanks do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    I started with 2, I made them myself. Then 5, 4 for discus breeding and 1 saltwater. Marriage ended it all but I did manage to sneak a small community tank into the baby's room. To this day Little Ricky tell's me how much he enjoyed watching the fish as he lay in bed as he was going to sleep. Then none. But now 2. One for the general population of discus and 1 breeding tank. I would have more but it was a battle just getting the breeding tank. When LR finishes his study and moves out I suspect I will be able to expand my empire unabated.
    LMAO... I "set one up in kids room... for the kids <wink wink>". So yeah, I have 2

150 gallon show tank
    26 gallon "for the kids" tank

Also have a 30 gallon in my wife's class room... but she stinks a WCs so (it's still good looking though) so if I have fish I don't want, I send them with her to school

Yeah, marriage has constricted my hobby. But moving soon as we find bigger house and planning to have new show tank (current 150 will be BB and out of site), 2-3 30 gallons, and (Elliot's dumb idea) an outside pond for throwing any fry into if I run out of space (approx 2000 gallons objective... will scoop out good looking ones prior to short Charleston winters).
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    LMAO... I "set one up in kids room... for the kids <wink wink>". So yeah, I have 2

150 gallon show tank
    26 gallon "for the kids" tank

Also have a 30 gallon in my wife's class room... but she stinks a WCs so (it's still good looking though) so if I have fish I don't want, I send them with her to school

Yeah, marriage has constricted my hobby. But moving soon as we find bigger house and planning to have new show tank (current 150 will be BB and out of site), 2-3 30 gallons, and (Elliot's dumb idea) an outside pond for throwing any fry into if I run out of space (approx 2000 gallons objective... will scoop out good looking ones prior to short Charleston winters).
    I could imagine if I had a wife what I might have to do to get a tank. Little Ricky is worse. Try winning an argument with a lawyer if he is in opposition of that which you propose to do. I did get the second tank but ran into the stonewall when I mentioned buying more fish from Kenny. I wanted 3 and was able to semi negotiate one. But I made that one count big time! If the summertime temperature could at least maintain 78 degrees you might get some discus out there as long as the Raccoons did did not find them.

That's what the multi-pnuematic BB gun and solar powered motion detection lights are for... raccoon will be walking funny after I'm done with it... if my bird dogs don't get'm first! But yeah, totally would have loooow expectations with any thrown in pond. Wouldn't be throwing any in there that I purchased (well... maybe that BS Pigeon blood Mac's discus sent me and tried telling me it was the RR I ordered)
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Maybe by the time you were done sorting frys the not so goods could be candidates for the pond? Now you with your pond got me to thinking. I have a spare bathroom in my house with tub. I put a heater into that bathtub, get the temp up to 80, dump a wad of fry in there, and Viola!! I got me a grow out tank. Plus think how easy it would be to water change. Open the drain, draw down the water, turn on the tap, filler' back up. Add the Prime. When I was a runt, maybe 8, I would fill the tub and dump my goldfish in there while I was cleaning their fishbowl. My mom about died ever time she went into the bathroom and spotted those fish in there. Scream like a nighthawk, she would.

Real Name
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Brendan,
    I like the species list.. mines similar
    "Lots of Discus, 7 Red footed Tortoises , 2 pairs albino Rat Snakes, 4 juvenile rat snakes, 8 Chickens, 3 cats, 2 kids, and a wife..Phew ...what a mouthful.

al
    LOL. Please feel free to share some pictures! I’d love to see them!
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

1 - 65 Gallon in Den with 7 discus 5 neon tetras and 5 Sterbai
    1 - 29 Gallon in Den with 2 discus
    1 - 10 Gallon - no fish to be used as quarantine if needed (will upgrade if the Den fairy enlarges room
    1 - 29 Gallon in washroom for aging water for daily changes

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Let's see....

I have a small utility area (room) next to the garage where I keep two 40 breeders, two 75s and a divided 10. The 40 breeders (eight each) house the 16 F1s I am growing out from Al. One 75 has 10 wilds with mostly Heckels and the other 75 has my five remaining growout domestics from Al and a few assorted wilds. The 10 has a dark ram pair from Tom and on the other side a small group of F1 checkerboard cichlids I am growing out.

In the sunroom I have a 50 with 11 semi-dark rams who have paired up and spar with each other and build nests the rest of the time. In the kitchen I have a 9 with guppies lol.

In the family room a 230 which is empty but in the process of coming online soon. Have a 180 in the living room I should do something with.

So nine tanks total.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Gee! Tanks for sharing, Pat!

If you keep guppy's I need to feel no guilt by keeping Platy's. What do you do with all the kids?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I had thought about putting guppy in my discus tank because they are so prolific that there would be a live food source for the discus from the guppy fry.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    If you keep guppy's I need to feel no guilt by keeping Platy's. What do you do with all the kids?
    I am raising some and gave some to my daughter.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

I had thought about putting guppy in my discus tank because they are so prolific that there would be a live food source for the discus from the guppy fry.
    I am not mixing the guppies with discus. The guppies prefer a cooler tank I think.
    Pat

I tried that once. The guppys did fine, bred like crazy and the Discus totally ignored the fry. Never again.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I lost count of how many tanks, but my guess would be around 85 to 95 tanks. 75 Discus tanks and about the rest were community tanks.
    My down side is that now with the coronavirus I'm down to around half of the
    tanks.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 06-09-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I tried that once. The guppys did fine, bred like crazy and the Discus totally ignored the fry. Never again.
    My friend raised altum angels and had the bright idea of putting in Endlers. His idea was that the Endler fry would keep his angels occupied. Now he has a tank of big altum angels and tons of Endlers that he can't catch.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast