AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how many fish tanks do you have?

Registered Member

Default Re: how many fish tanks do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I tried that once. The guppys did fine, bred like crazy and the Discus totally ignored the fry. Never again.
    Thanks for saving me time and money. I thought it to be a good idea. The guppy must taste funny to the discus.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

Too many. 450 rift lake, 210 discus, 55 sa ciclids, 45 1 severm & small ones, 150 severms & 1 lone rummy nose & 2 l201, 42 bow 2 blk. lace angel veil &1 severm, 2 qt 30 gals. 1 has 12 sterbi,3 veil marble angels, other has 12 cherry barbs & 20 rummy nose. NO MASS.
    Last edited by gunnerschh2; 07-17-2020 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Most tanks have sterbi in them.

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

I'll reply... only because by poking fun of myself, I might get this project finished.
    I have 10 tanks. So let me give you the break down:

1 5gal.. In use... Planted with amano shrimp and otocinclus catfish.
    1 10gal.... stored quarantine tank.
    2X 20gal Long .... broken..... about 1/2 way through repairing on of them... if only to learn the skills of panel replacement and resealing..
    2X 20gal Long .... de-rimmed and drilled to become a large 2 chamber sump w/ refugium for my new mini rack.
    4X 20gal Long.... de-rimmed, drilled and cleaned to become the 4 display tanks of my new mini rack..

I know..... i've dragged this out for wayyyyy too long....
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Hi, I'm new to this, so I only have a small aquarium and a fish pond in my backyard.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Holy macaroni, some members have 10+ tanks...

and I'm here feeling sick of doing WC for my 2 tanks...
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post
    I'll reply... only because by poking fun of myself, I might get this project finished.
    I have 10 tanks. So let me give you the break down:

1 5gal.. In use... Planted with amano shrimp and otocinclus catfish.
    1 10gal.... stored quarantine tank.
    2X 20gal Long .... broken..... about 1/2 way through repairing on of them... if only to learn the skills of panel replacement and resealing..
    2X 20gal Long .... de-rimmed and drilled to become a large 2 chamber sump w/ refugium for my new mini rack.
    4X 20gal Long.... de-rimmed, drilled and cleaned to become the 4 display tanks of my new mini rack..

I know..... i've dragged this out for wayyyyy too long....
    Where do you keep your discus?

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pablos View Post
    Where do you keep your discus?
    Pablos,
    I haven't kept discus in many, many years (15), because I move back and forth between two countries. I keep a 20L in one home, and a 5gal in the other.... and yes, each of them gets torn down every 5 months or so and stored and then started back up 7 months later. We are done with that phase of life, hence the mini-rack project. I'm enjoying dwarf cichlids and some native caught species now-adays simply because of the smaller water change requirements (both places were desert locations). I will do Discus and Altums again one day.

That said, I still enjoy coming here to SimplyDiscus. Good folks here!
    Peter

learning never stops

I agree, Peter. But it's nice to hear someone else toot our horn for us.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Peter

There is no question Liz .... the Discus is the King of the Aquarium... anyone who can enjoy success with them is definitely someone that you can learn from... even if you aren't keeping discus.... so many of the good habits and husbandry skills and practices can be adopted. Discus keepers are some of the absolute finest fishkeepers of other species as well. I really only come here and plantedtank.net. ocassionally I head over to a south african site just to see if Marcos has updated any threads there with his Rams..... I bump over to Reef2Reef just because there are two guys over there building their own aquarium controllers like me.... and I go over to the Barr Report, just so Tom Barr and the other contributers can 'learn me some advanced chemistry'.

But, I'll be honest, it's only over here on SimplyDiscus that I know so many of the long term members by their names. I do miss all of the FishRoom / BreedingRack builds we used to have here.... We need some cold winters so folks will build a few new ones...

Holy cow Harry G. you have so many large aquariums!
    Peter

learning never stops

Real Name
    Frank

I have 3 tanks presently - all in a spare bedroom devoted to being a Study. The loft area is a library.
    I have a 75g and a 40b - both devoted to discus. I also have a 30g which has several functions, either QT or HT as needed.
    The 30g resides in my closet until needed. At that point it's brought out into the room.

The part that may be interesting is that I am in the planning stages of squeezing into the room a 120-150g. I am thinking about a sump for filtration but that would be new for me. I have only used sponge filters and one canister in my previous setups. If I do this, this tank will be devoted to my adult wilds, with perhaps some of Tom's rams (still in planning stage). It will cost me one of my two desks, I think. I have engineered the project and my wife is architecting the project to ensure it looks nice.

Otherwise, my study is not a fish room -- it's a discus room in which they permit me to study when they are not distracting me.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Not just how many
    where are they located
    how many are devoted to Discus
    If some are devoted to other fish, what fish are they?

I'll have to answer my first question when I go to the fish room in the morning and count. The number of tanks I have is always changing.
    Last edited by fljones3; 08-03-2020 at 05:35 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

I have been out of aquariums for decades, but a couple of years ago I purchased a building that was built in the 1890s that I use the first floor to run a charity that I started that houses the homeless; I also have for profit businesses. It is a huge space, ~1,600 sq ft that has numerous seating areas, lots of plants, and five aquariums from 20 - 75 gallons, all of which are all planted or are aquascaped tanks; the fish are primarily South American. I have a 68g tank ordered and I will be ordering a 118g tank soon. I won't make it to 10 tanks, the last two tanks will be the last, at least according to my current thinking. The original idea pre-pandemic was to create a non-threatening environment to interview and talk to potential residents and to have social events. Everyone loves the fish tanks, I even have had meetings in front of the 75g! With COVID the office has become a large study for me as we do our meetings and interviews via Zoom. Hopefully, we will have people in the office again.
    Last edited by dornblaser; 08-03-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Real Name
    Frank

David, that's neat.
    Where are you ordering your 118g from?

Quote Originally Posted by dornblaser View Post
    I have been out of aquariums for decades, but a couple of years ago I purchased a building that was built in the 1890s that I use the first floor to run a charity that I started that houses the homeless; I also have for profit businesses. It is a huge space, ~1,600 sq ft that has numerous seating areas, lots of plants, and five aquariums from 20 - 75 gallons, all of which are all planted or are aquascaped tanks; the fish are primarily South American. I have a 68g tank ordered and I will be ordering a 118g tank soon. I won't make it to 10 tanks, the last two tanks will be the last, at least according to my current thinking. The original idea pre-pandemic was to create a non-threatening environment to interview and talk to potential residents and to have social events. Everyone loves the fish tanks, I even have had meetings in front of the 75g! With COVID the office has become a large study for me as we do our meetings and interviews via Zoom. Hopefully, we will have people in the office again.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Thanks. Actually it is 115g. UNS 120u from Buceplant.com although there are other good aquascaping stores that sell UNS tanks and stands.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123