ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Dinga's Disus

Default Dinga's Disus

It has been too long since I have been here. I look forward to a sense of unity in here. My roommate did not fill the sump while I was out of town and when I got home, the sump was low, loud sounds, and my discus passed away. It has taken me three years to get over it and now I am ordering discus from Kenny.

My goal is to take care of 12, 3.5-4 inch, discus, not raise them to grow bigger or spawn them.

My boundary: If you don't have something nice to say, do not respond to my posts. More importantly, if you have the exact same tank set up as me then I welcome your constructive criticism. That said, do not blame me or shame me or anyone else for that matter. I welcome your stories about your own experiences. Be kind.

Tank size: 75 gallons
    Tank: Edge Rimless Reef-Ready Aquariums, 75 Gallon Rimless Aquarium
    Filtration: Aqueon ProFlex Sump Model 2 1100gph (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWIQfDq1pGI)
    Lights: Finnex Planted+ 24/7 CRV Aquarium LED Light, 48 inches, 24/7 mode: fully customizable LED sunrise & Sunset
    Water Change: twice a week
    Conditioner: Prime Seachem
    Ammonia: 0ppm
    PH:7.8
    Nitrate:0ppm
    Nitrite:0ppm
    Driftwood: Yes
    Plants: Yes
    Bottom: very little small rocks, you can see through the bottom of the tank in most places
    Moss balls: 12+
    Tank mates: 2 dwarf gouramis, 10 tiny ottos, 3 tetras, 8 nerite snails, 2 cory's, 1 small bristle-nose pleco
    I look forward to being unified with the discus community and nurturing a safe place to share thoughts.

-Dinger

Registered Member

Default Re: Dinga's Disus

Hi, Dinger! I do wish that I had the room for 12 discus. My first attempt with discus began with 12. I do believe that I got 4 breeding pairs from that dirty dozen. I only buy my fish from Kenny. I did too get a fish from him this month. You went shopping. Mind if I ask which 12 fish you chose? My other question is what is a dinger? I can think maybe because you test doorbells? Your are a Mormon missionary. Have fun!

Hi PeeWee,
    I am a huge Fantasy Sports Fan, and my baseball team is Dinger (homerun). My last name is similar to Dinger, however I am not comfortable disclosing my last name. I will keep the community posted on how the future goes with my tank set up.

Here is my June 2020 order from Kenny, and they will arrive soon. Picture upon request.

4" Neon Sapphire--$
    4" White Butterfly--$
    4" Super Pigeon Snakeskin--$
    4" Tiger Turquoise--$
    4" Super Checkerboard Pigeon--$
    4" Golden Diamond/Crystal--$

Dinger
    Be kind.

Welcome Back "Dinger"!

Your goal of keeping 12 discus in a 75 is doable and you obviously know the limitations of what to expect from them growth wise. You mentioned doing two water changes weekly... what kind of volume. Ive raised many on 75s though not your exact setups..You will probably want to be more flexible on the water changes.. 2x a week at X amount is a good schedule..but I would really suggest you add in water changes as frequently as you can in addition to that... your fish will thank you.

Good luck and look forward to pics when you get the discus settled in.

AL
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Hi Al,
    Thanks.

I water my plants in my garden with water changes, so anything from 75% to 50%. I am not shy about water changes because the fish tank water feeds my plants indoors too. I have a lot of plants.

Dinger
    Be kind.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
    Hi PeeWee,
    I am a huge Fantasy Sports Fan, and my baseball team is Dinger (homerun). My last name is similar to Dinger, however I am not comfortable disclosing my last name. I will keep the community posted on how the future goes with my tank set up.

Here is my June 2020 order from Kenny, and they will arrive soon. Picture upon request.

4" Neon Sapphire--$
    4" White Butterfly--$
    4" Tiger Turquoise--$

Dinger
    I very much like the Tiger and Neon. Good choices all around. I do the fantasy football only. However , we do a big money league so the wins can be big.

Hi Al,
    I decided to do about 20% a day. I think they will like that. What do you do?

Dinger
    Be kind.

Registered Member

Hi Al,
    I decided to do about 20% a day. I think they will like that. What do you do?

Dinger
    You should be ok with 20% per day. That is 140% every 7 days. I change about 100% per week with one tank the other is about 150% per week.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Trevor

Hi PeeWee,

4" Neon Sapphire--$
    4" White Butterfly--$
    4" Tiger Turquoise--$

Dinger

I would love to see the fish you received from Kenny as I've been considering placing a similar order.