ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: So, how do you pick the best aquarium wave maker?

Default So, how do you pick the best aquarium wave maker?

I have purchased several wave makers either for my two ponds in my back yard or my discus tank. The fish will always be in a constant movement and there will be some type of wave created as they move. In the open water like the sea or lake, the fish love the waves as they help them move around easily. My last wave maker/fan caught two fish in it and they passed away. The one before that kept falling because the suction cup gave up. I am no expert at taking apart the hardware and repairing them. Do you recommend a wave maker?
    -Dinger
    Be kind.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: So, how do you pick the best aquarium wave maker?

I use wavemaker in my large aquariums. The only difference I see is the method of attachment. The suction cup ones fall as the rubber cups harden. The ones with magnetic mounts stay on. The last one I got for a 75 gallon discus tank was the "FREESEA 1050 GPH Aquarium Circulation Pump Wave Maker Power Head with Magnetic Mount Suction" from Amazon. It's been working fine.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Hi Willie,
    Thank you. That is the same one I have my eyes on.
    -Dinger
    Be kind.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
    I have purchased several wave makers either for my two ponds in my back yard or my discus tank. The fish will always be in a constant movement and there will be some type of wave created as they move. In the open water like the sea or lake, the fish love the waves as they help them move around easily. My last wave maker/fan caught two fish in it and they passed away. The one before that kept falling because the suction cup gave up. I am no expert at taking apart the hardware and repairing them. Do you recommend a wave maker?
    -Dinger
    I use the Sunsun suction cup one. But I bought 3 back ups The total price for the 4 was about $25.00.

Registered Member

I just did a bunch of research on this for my 220 in order to keep waste suspended so the overflows could grab it. Suction cups were a no go with my past issues. I settled on the Maxspect Jump 2K. They make a 4K but for my needs the 2K was more than enough. Very small Gyre pump so sits at the very top on one end and cycles the water the full length and back across the bottom without sticking the fish against the glass. Has far more options then I need, I just have it come on 4 times a day for 15 min and my black sand substrate stays very clean. The best part is, it's dead silent. It was the right choice for me. I could have gotten the cheaper Ice Cap version but the build quality was worth a few extra bucks.
    NCH
    220 gal Planted Discus Tank, Large Sump and FX6,Tank Temp 86, Light Beamswork 6500K
    75 Gal Rainbow & Angel Planted Tank,FX4, Temp 80 , Light Finnex 24/7
    40 gal Acrylic Hex Electric Blue Acara Planted Tank, SunSun 303B with UV,Temp 80, Light Finnex 24/7