AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Newbie looking for BASIC information on feeding.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marcia

Default Newbie looking for BASIC information on feeding.

Could someone point me to an article or thread or sticky on the BASICS of feeding discus from 3” size to adult?

What basic food groups?

How many times a day?

Pros and cons (BASIC) of various approaches?

I have NO where to start that I can find here or elsewhere? Help?

Real Name
    Brendan

Default Re: Newbie looking for BASIC information on feeding.

Most people feed beef heart mix and freeze dried black worms, with a good quality pellet type food such as tetra color for example. I feed mine a minimum of 2 times a day, usually 3. My adults do not need this much food it is more for the younger ones in the same tank that are around 3 inches.
    The only con I can think of is that beef heart is messy and fouls water quickly, and my fish don’t eat it anyway.
    FDBW are expensive but a good food source and won’t foul the water as quickly.

Hope that helps.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanJ23 View Post
    Most people feed beef heart mix and freeze dried black worms, with a good quality pellet type food such as tetra color for example. I feed mine a minimum of 2 times a day, usually 3. My adults do not need this much food it is more for the younger ones in the same tank that are around 3 inches.
    The only con I can think of is that beef heart is messy and fouls water quickly, and my fish don’t eat it anyway.
    FDBW are expensive but a good food source and won’t foul the water as quickly.

Hope that helps.
    I take it that is your tank in the signature?

Real Name
    Tom

Well for me 3” is still a young discus. I feed mine at that age almost every time I go by the tank. Never a lot about 2min worth of food. But as many as 10 times a day. Water change daily or every other day. I feed fdbw the most. Also flake foods pellets and some frozen beefheart. Funny as young fish they didn’t like the beefheart but now as adults they do. As adults I try to feed 3 times a day.

Real Name
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    I take it that is your tank in the signature?
    Nope but it’s beautiful hey!
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanJ23 View Post
    FDBW are expensive but a good food source and won’t foul the water as quickly.With regard to feeding Brendan is got the routine that I go by as well.

Hope that helps.
    It would seem that all discus would eat the same food. All of my fish eat Al's dried worms except for one. That one eats pellet of all kinds and one of two varieties of frozen brine shrimp and no blood worms.