ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Any photo's of Mac's "Peruvian Green" strain?

Registered Member

Default Any photo's of Mac's "Peruvian Green" strain?

Does anyone have photos of the strain Mac's Discus carries as the "Peruvian Green Discus"?

This one:
    https://macsdiscus.com/peruvian-gree...s-fish-2-inch/

(I asked him for more photos but he said no )

Default Re: Any photo's of Mac's "Peruvian Green" strain?

If the seller is not willing to take the time to send pictures to customer, then I would stay away from them....

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Sounds like a red flag to me also.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brian

I would agree. The times I've asked for photos and been refused, I was not happy with what I received.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjay21 View Post
    If the seller is not willing to take the time to send pictures to customer, then I would stay away from them....
    100% agree. His website doesn't have multiple images of a single strain either. I've DROOLED over the Emerald Green one since I first saw it in LFS magazine in 90's... guess what... that's the same exact picture. The 2 I ordered from him will not look anything like that (but apparently he thinks experienced hobbyists can't tell... just like how he thought he'd fool me with sending me a PB when I ordered a red rose)
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    100% agree. His website doesn't have multiple images of a single strain either. I've DROOLED over the Emerald Green one since I first saw it in LFS magazine in 90's... guess what... that's the same exact picture. The 2 I ordered from him will not look anything like that (but apparently he thinks experienced hobbyists can't tell... just like how he thought he'd fool me with sending me a PB when I ordered a red rose)
    I might be wrong but I think it is Kenny who has a photo posted of every fish that he is selling. Others seem to be willing to, Dennis I think, provide separate photos on request. Which PB did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    I might be wrong but I think it is Kenny who has a photo posted of every fish that he is selling. Others seem to be willing to, Dennis I think, provide separate photos on request. Which PB did you get?
    Lol... PeeWee, you're right, but I meant Mac doesn't EVER update any pics (the Emerald green pic on his site is the EXACT photo he used in magazine ads pre-internet).

Kenny and many others on here aren't afraid to show actual fish they've got... unlike Mac. If I had seen pic of the EGs I got beforehand then I wouldn't have gotten them. They look like they'll end up being low grade spotted turquoise (leopards?). They're still growing crazy fast but that strain isn't my cup of tea. Those 2 and the PB will probably end up in my wife's classroom aquarium (whenever school opens back up).

The PB is like an old school Marlboro. "eh"

I still really like the 2 RCs I got... but they aren't RCs... at least not what you'd see on Kenny's, Chicago's, Golden State's, Carolina's, and the other solid sponsors we have on SD. He should call them Alenquers (blue face masks and minor head striping, beautiful rich brown base) but he's probably thinking he can make $10-15 more off them by labeling them RCs. It's a shame because they're still in my favorite category of brown based reds but ... it's not what I ordered. Yeah... not a fan of AT ALL of Mac's and wouldn't rant much but he took a solid review I prematurely gave him, kept it, and then I realized too late he misled me. Lesson learned... don't buy 1.5" discus from sources you don't trust. I'm not saying don't by 1.5" discus, but do due diligence (other people were awesome in past with pics of parent fish, etc)
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Lol... PeeWee, you're right, but I meant Mac doesn't EVER update any pics (the Emerald green pic on his site is the EXACT photo he used in magazine ads pre-internet).

Kenny and many others on here aren't afraid to show actual fish they've got... unlike Mac. If I had seen pic of the EGs I got beforehand then I wouldn't have gotten them. They look like they'll end up being low grade spotted turquoise (leopards?). They're still growing crazy fast but that strain isn't my cup of tea. Those 2 and the PB will probably end up in my wife's classroom aquarium (whenever school opens back up).

The PB is like an old school Marlboro. "eh"

I still really like the 2 RCs I got... but they aren't RCs... at least not what you'd see on Kenny's, Chicago's, Golden State's, Carolina's, and the other solid sponsors we have on SD. He should call them Alenquers (blue face masks and minor head striping, beautiful rich brown base) but he's probably thinking he can make $10-15 more off them by labeling them RCs. It's a shame because they're still in my favorite category of brown based reds but ... it's not what I ordered. Yeah... not a fan of AT ALL of Mac's and wouldn't rant much but he took a solid review I prematurely gave him, kept it, and then I realized too late he misled me. Lesson learned... don't buy 1.5" discus from sources you don't trust. I'm not saying don't by 1.5" discus, but do due diligence (other people were awesome in past with pics of parent fish, etc)
    Elliott, are you feeding the RC Al's bio FDBW? You would get more red from them as I understand it.

Al put on a red suit & white beard last week then broke into my house via the chimney... left me a ton of FDBW cubes, then I thought he was going to pick his nose and POOF... he was gone. Could've just mailed them to me ... but hell yeah I'm feeding them his FDBWs! It's like crack to them
    -Elliot

p.s. - the hell with Mac's discus
    -Elliot

Registered Member

All,

I'm so glad to come across with this thread... So a few weeks ago, I found the Mac's website and the Peruvian Greens and I was so excited!

So I asked him if he can send me pictures of Peruvian Greens and Tefe Green both his stock juveniles and breeding pairs. He only sent me picture of "PG" and I thought it was Snakeskin or Spots (shown in the attachment) so I asked him if it was something else. He said it's the tank raised PG...what's that mean? LOL

I asked him again to send me pictures and he never replied so I backed off. I'm glad I made a right choice!

Do you guys know anywhere I can purchase a good captive bred Greens? I really like ones with less red spots. As I learned from some of you from other threads, money is not my concern since it seems like we almost pay what we get in this hobby and I'd rather invest in a good quality discus and save some headache in the future.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Joe,

I would suggest looking at the SimplyDiscus sponsors http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...iscus-Sponsors.

Mac's Discus should be avoided IMO.

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

I should've joined this forum long time ago...I recently got back in this hobby again after 10 years and wish I was aware of the sponsors before I placed an recent order from a all time "reputable" breeder that's not in the list of sponsors and I was very disappointed! So thank you so much for the suggestion!