ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Busy day today :).

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Busy day today :).

Well it’s been a year since I set up this tank. Some up and downs along the way but basically all’s been good. The cross contamination being the only set back. Seems like the cheap tank deals are gone!! Can’t find an acrylic tank for sale now under $1000. Amazing what covid has done to the prices of everything. But this tank is still running good. The craze in the front hasn’t changed. Thing I’m noticing is even though I’ve removed many of the scratches it seems like a haze has formed on the inside. Like the bio-film is growing in those tiny tiny scratches that are the end result of the novus treatment. I have heard that some people use a blow torch as a final step to melt the finish. But that’s much more than I’m ready for. Most people don’t even notice the haze. Just me . Thinking 180 but the price of a new one went up $600 in the last year. People are asking more than new for their used ones!! So I’m waiting this out. Which is good. I’ve got close to 30 discus now in 3 tanks. This is an addictive hobby . Here’s the tank now. Craze on left.81C24931-C46E-4AE6-B3D7-86842353158A.jpg and the haze from a side view.8406F3D0-5D66-487B-8FBD-15067F8CA34C.jpg
    As for filtering the wet dry seems to be a much better filter than the fx6. I’ve cleaned the wet dry twice in the last year and the tank is crystal clear. While the fx6 tank with the same amount of fish gets cloudy in around 4 days. To this tank I’ve added another wet dry. But this one is only good for a 100g and is only moving around 400gph. Just seems like the fx6 isn’t moving as much water as it originally did. Yes I’ve cleaned it many times. Every 2 months. Including the impeller. Just seems like every other canister a let down. Also when I clean it it’s never as dirty as when it was new. I think it’s just has way to much media in it to really work right. I keep reading of people using 2 of them on there 75-125 g tanks. That to me is just telling us they ain’t working right.
    But all in all everything is going good. Even the plants are all growing again.5AA1873E-A54C-41E1-AB33-3450B4C1F6E2.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Default Re: Busy day today :).

I like your style. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. That tank's a bargain.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910