AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: my juvenile discus suddenly stopped eating

Registered Member

Default my juvenile discus suddenly stopped eating

so i have 6 discus now al jeveniles arround 7 or 8 cm, and for some reason the one who was the most dominant (and allways ate like crazy) suddenly stopped eating anything from one day to the next, all the other discus seem to be doing fine, the water is clear as ever, i do waterchanges weekly, i feed them arround 2 relatively big meals a day, the discus in question isnt acting strange and has his full coloration he isnt losing weight yet, still very chunky fish, so all normal other then the eating, he doesnt have white stringy poop, and as he is the most dominant fish in there i doubt there is any stress what could be the problem guys? (they are in a 30 gallon tank for now but im waiting for the 60 gallon tank to be delivered) on the attachment its the blue diamond
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Default Re: my juvenile discus suddenly stopped eating

Some times they do not eat. I have a Heckel that is about 12 months old. I seldom see it eat and I have never seen it poop. Yet it is still alive. If it does take in food it usually spits it out. Where any other fish in the tank tend to scrap with one another this one is left alone. It bothers no one and no one bothers it. It also has no color at all except for black vertical stripes and grey body. A discus can live for 2 or 3 weeks without food. So maybe let it be for a week and try different foods. The one I mention does not eat freeze dry anything but will eat some pellets but it takes the fish sometimes 3 times at trying to snatch the pellet into its mouth. If it misses on the third try it will give up and wait for another something to float by. If he gets it on that try he will usually spit it out anyway.

Registered Member

yes but as i said this one used to eat like crazy whenever food was dropped in and he went from eating it all to not eat at all

Registered Member

Add some Epsom Salt, clean out his or her gut.

Cliff

Real Name
    Brendan

How big are the water changes mate? I’d recommend increasing the frequency to at least every other day.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Tom

Yes being young discus water is critical. Since it’s not eating I’d raise the temp (what is it now) and start changing more water. They do sometimes stop eating. But usually when the others attack they instinctively attack the food to. Than there eating again. Something that worked for me is the nutri-diet discus flakes. There’s garlic in them and it did get some of mine eating when they went on hunger strikes. I mix it with a bunch of other flakes and I now add it daily.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Yes being young discus water is critical. Since it’s not eating I’d raise the temp (what is it now) and start changing more water. They do sometimes stop eating. But usually when the others attack they instinctively attack the food to. Than there eating again. Something that worked for me is the nutri-diet discus flakes. There’s garlic in them and it did get some of mine eating when they went on hunger strikes. I mix it with a bunch of other flakes and I now add it daily.
    Where do you get the nutri-diet flakes?

Registered Member

yeah i can try pushing it up, could the change of scenary with a new aquarium fix the issue ?, im getting a 240 liter long, and 2 or 3 more discus just to make the group bigger (i heard more is better).

Real Name
    Tom

Peewee on eBay. 31C36F4E-250D-47C0-81C8-3D2EF373FE0D.jpg I buy most stuff on eBay. I forgot they don’t like vertical pictures .