AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: question about egg viability

Registered Member

Default question about egg viability

Hello all,

A quick question about discus eggs and coloration indicating possible fertilization.

here is my technical stats

3x 90-gallon tanks, 1x 40-gallon breeder linked into a water barrel k1 filter media system (total running water volume approximately 400 gallons.
    50-100 gallons per day water changes

16 discus fish, adults (1.5 years old) from mixed importers and local sellers

Water parameters:

ammonia 0
    nitrite 0
    nitrate approx 20-30 (daily water changes)

TDS approx 40 - Vancouver, BC, water is naturally soft.
    Ph 6.25 - controlled via co2 canister injection

One of my pairs produces eggs that are an orange color and I have seen these turn into wigglers in the previous community tank

another female melon produces eggs regularly, and always pairs up with a blue diamond, even if "he" is moved to another tank for a period of time. I have seen multiple females (confirmed with eggs) "fight" over this fish. I say "he" because I have not seen it lay eggs but I have watched it perform the same mating rituals and rub himself over recently laid eggs like the other confirmed male I have.

I am wondering if the lighter colored eggs in the picture (from the orange melon) are usual this color, or is this a sign that the "male" has not fertilized.

Could it be a female rubbing the eggs immediately after laying? surely this is a male behavior?

Could the female be laying non-viable eggs? could he be infertile? is there any way to improve sperm count? i.e dosing with testosterone?

I recognize that I will have my answer in a couple of days when the eggs either start to show eyes or not, but wondering if it is possible for certain discus strains (i.e melons) to have lighter colored eggs, is the problem with the female, or the male?

The attached pictures show firstly the blue tiger with orange-colored eggs, and the second lot of pictures shows melon and blue diamond with whiter eggs (not calcified white yet)

Any thoughts and feedback greatly appreciated, thanks!

Both sets of eggs were laid at approximatly the same time last night (about 9 hours ago)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: question about egg viability

Hi,
    I have seen alot of variation in egg colors when first laid so Im not sure if color is an indicator however I have noted that clear eggs are generally not fertilized and will turn white.

Looking forward to hearing what happens with your spawns here.
    Hth,
    AL
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Willie

In most cases with red or reddish discus, the eggs are bright orange to red. I don't know if that's always true, but it occurs often enough that it's what I expect.

You might want to reconsider the red melon X blue tiger cross. Crossing a PB type (red melon) with a turquoise type (blue tiger) typically produce pinkish gray fry. They develop into a muddy color that never gets any better. Much better to cross turqs to turqs, PB's to PB's.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

The color of eggs when first layed doesn't indicate if they are fertile. You still have to wait 2 1/2 to 3 day for the fertile eggs to turn
    dark. Eggs color of orange can be an indicator of red color food enchantment.
    One breeder brought over some bright orange eggs to me so I asked her what kind
    of food she was feeding was super red food.

Cliff

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    ...Eggs color of orange can be an indicator of red color food enchantment...
    Not necessarily disagreeing with you, Cliff. Reddish discus may also have greater capacity for absorbing red pigments like carotenoids and thereby incorporating them into eggs. All my fish get beefheart and the dithers typically get Tetra-Bits. But the red discus usually (I can't say always) produce reddish eggs.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.