AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Stubborn bloat

Registered Member

Default Stubborn bloat

Hello SD people - my blue diamond discus has been bloated for the last 8 days.

I first added 1tbsp/10G epsom salt for 24h and it didn't work. Then I did 2tbsp/10G for another 24h and it didn't work. I also did a 30 min bath (1tbsp/1G) and again no improvement.

The fish seems healthy, eating and is active. Sometimes it poops but with difficulty. The poop is normal though.

I believe it is constipation but the epsom salt doesn't help.

Please let me know what I should do next to help him pass it.

Thanks

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Stubborn bloat

It could be an infection. Can you give us a photo?

Registered Member

IMG_1826.jpg

Here is a picture. I've ordered metro and trio powder from everything aquatic and should get here on Sat. I can setup a hospital tank but not sure what I need to do...

Real Name
    Brian

I have a feeling it's an internal infection. Out of the three meds in Trio Powder, Kanamycin is preferred for this condition. I'm not sure of the dosage in this form, but straight Kanamycin is 1 tsp per 20 gallons.

Registered Member

I'll start the treatment on Saturday, do I need to treat all the fish in the main tank or hospital tank is ok?

Regarding the dose, everything aquatic says 1/tsp in 20G. But seems low based on what you said, should I double the dose?

Thank you

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MazDiscus View Post
    I'll start the treatment on Saturday, do I need to treat all the fish in the main tank or hospital tank is ok?

Regarding the dose, everything aquatic says 1/tsp in 20G. But seems low based on what you said, should I double the dose?

Thank you
    Just treat the affected fish in a hospital tank. You should not treat the whole tank.

I think you misread everything aquatic's dosage. Or maybe you just mistyped. They say to use 1/4 tsp per 20 gallons, not 1 tsp in 20 gallons.
    The more correct dosage is 500-750 mg per 20 gallons every 48 hrs. Or in severe cases, you could dose every 24 hrs. You also need to do a 25% water change prior to treatment. Don't overdose kanamycin. It can cause kidney failure.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by smsimcik View Post
    Just treat the affected fish in a hospital tank. You should not treat the whole tank.

I think you misread everything aquatic's dosage. Or maybe you just mistyped. They say to use 1/4 tsp per 20 gallons, not 1 tsp in 20 gallons.
    The more correct dosage is 500-750 mg per 20 gallons every 48 hrs. Or in severe cases, you could dose every 24 hrs. You also need to do a 25% water change prior to treatment. Don't overdose kanamycin. It can cause kidney failure.
    I would follow this advise. Like I said, the dose I was talking about was for pure Kanamycin. I don't know the Trio Powder dosage. I always buy the individual meds and not combo's.