AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Albino Long Finned Bristlenose Plecos

Registered Member

Default Re: Albino Long Finned Bristlenose Plecos

Willie and Liz thanks. Reading forum posts is more than informative. It is deeply educational. I will attempt to photograph and start another thread so as to not hijack this one dedicated to what I believe to be a long fin discus that came to me by way of Forrest/Kenny. But you are right, the fins developed at about the one year mark. I am very happy with the fish to say the least.

Real Name
    Tom

Most real established keepers don't dig man made mutations .
    Discus like rams are really well/ properly kept by those of us who are carried away to some extreme and looking for 'perfection' .
    Best said by one old school keeper on the topic of long fin angels or discus " If I wanted a long fin mutation I would just keep goldfish". I do think there are beautiful goldfish ,but understand his comment .
    I understand that and actually have found very little interest among keepers for long fin rams ..
    I personally see no appeal at all for long fin /bulldog discus ? The rams I am undecided on ..I like the definition a standard fin gives and I will agree most long fins look ' not right ' , but a well bred / raised long fin ram is a quality sight to see IMO .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Willie

Gold, black and electric blue rams are mutations, as are all PB-based discus. The ghost gene used in Blue Diamonds is also a mutation, as is the 14-bar mutation used to produce snakeskins and ultimate spotted leopards. I've noticed that all the best discus here and on other sites are slightly taller than long, So they likely incorporate the HB trait that first appeared about 20 years ago and wasn't present in the original Red Turquoise, Brilliant or Cobalt varieties. Similarly, I'm a sucker for koi and halfblack angelfish. None of these are man-made. They all occurred as spontaneous mutations and were not left to be picked off by predators in nature.

In general, the term "classical form" is completely arbitrary. 99% of the best discus will likely get picked off in natural populations. I'm inclined to accept all forms and let the market decide.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Yeah, that's fine if what you want to do is make money. If I want to make and breed what keeps me happy, I breed what turns me on even if there will be no market for what I breed, like my blue SS's with discrete red spots. I wouldn't waste my time and money breeding fish if I did it only for money.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Again thanking both Liz and Willie. Okay, don't anyone give me the, "Hey, .get a room!" The long tail pleco are as spooky looking as they are interesting. Ascetically the long fin serve to streamline the fish because it is long to begin with. Whereas a roundish fish's shape would not lend itself to any streamlining. For those of you who keep and breed pleco is there any thing about a pleco shape, size, color that would not be acceptable? For me I don't have the wherewith all to breed discus for sale so I too would breed them for my own interest and entertainment but would not be opposed to selling to a lfs in exchange for store credit. A value to a forum of like minded people would be to exchange something for something. Or even give to one another that which is deemed "extra" in order to either further the hobby or to provide enjoyment to another.

Lately here I've been selling my fish only to the LFS . The only Discus they get are ones I know won't work in my breeding program. They give me half of the selling price in cash but they only pay me what they would pay a wholesaler. I used to sell them tons of Angels. Now it's tons of red shrimp and blue shrimp, and tons of BN plecos. I have short fin Albino, Blue eyed. and browns. They don't care what strain they are and neither do I. Now, with these long fin albino plecos will be special to me, and I would sell them on AB. I don't have a clue about the standard for plecos. These are just pleasing to me.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

I think they are very interesting. When they swim through the water, they almost look angelic. Very graceful....

Here's an adult...

bristlenose1.jpg

I just got 6 more! I almost had to beg them for them. Actually I did beg. Just like the last batch the packing was perfect. They arrived in excellent condition. USPS Express shipping is the only way to go. And it's so much easier and less expensive that FedEx.
    Mama Bear

Congrats Liz! They are very cool. I'm not ashamed of begging either lol

- Mark

Real Name
    Brian

I'm glad they made it and you're happy with them!!!

I'll be making an announcement soon

Hey Brian... my qt will be vacant early next week hint, hint! �� Liz, thanks for sharing your experience. Much appreciated.

-Mark

Registered Member

Does anyone have any plecos available?

Quote Originally Posted by LGelb View Post
    Does anyone have any plecos available?
    Talk to Liz I got from her 6 very healthy ABN plecos.

Thanks Carlos. Yes LGelb I have many BN available. Shoot me a PM.
    Mama Bear

Last edited by Charlyc11; 02-17-2022 at 03:38 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast