ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Discus bloating and Metronidazole

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus bloating and Metronidazole

Οk cool, thank you for all your help, here's to hoping we can save the little dude

Real Name
    Shan

Following this thread. Please update with microscope pictures if you are able to. Rooting for you guys
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Registered Member

Ok guys, I gathered 2 samples yesterday which I froze, and I also managed to get another one today. I took everything directly to my friend, and upon examining all 3 samples, neither he, nor the ichthyologist could spot anything. I had a look as well, and couldn't spot anything either... The only thing I can say is that the samples I gathered yesterday night were milky white, whereas the one I gathered today was yellowish. Let it be noted that I added another dose of epsom salts yesterday. Could this change in colour indicate that there is some fecal matter starting to be passed through the intestinal tract?
    Last edited by Amazon Sword; 06-15-2020 at 07:27 AM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

That is a possibility...any change with the degree of swelling to correlate that possibility?

Registered Member

Doesn't seem like it so far...

Real Name
    Brian

Did they tell you what meds may be available in your area?

Registered Member

Sadly not much I can get here... Erythromycin, levamisole, ivermectin, but nothing else really. I could order the stuff online if necessary, I'm just perplexed because the microscope revealed nothing

Real Name
    Brian

EM is more for external issues. Levamisole is for certain worms, no help. Ivermectin is a mystery to me but It also appears to be for external issues. Have you looked for the Microbe Lift?

Registered Member

No luck with that either, I can order it online, not sure how long it would take to arrive though. I also haven't had much luck with these "natural" - "no medicine" products in the past, most of the time they didn't seem to do anything. Is it anything like API's Melafix and Pimafix?
    Last edited by Amazon Sword; 06-15-2020 at 07:29 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

I agree with that. The only reason I mentioned it is because Cary recommended it for internal infections. When Cary speaks people listen, lol...

Registered Member

Well, given the fact that nothing was spotted under the microscope, should I stop the Metro treatment? I feel like I should just give the fish some time, epsom salts and clean water and see what happens, I have absolutely no clue what else to do at this point... Throwing medication into the aquarium without knowing what I'm targeting (and if there's anything to be targeted at all) doesn't sound like the best idea for the fish's health.

Real Name
    Brian

Metro is an antibiotic, so if you haven't finished the course I would finish it then give it a rest. Never discontinue antibiotics prematurely.

Registered Member

Ok thank you for the help. I wonder if there is anything else I can do for the fish right now, it pains me to see it this way Assuming that this is not caused by anything alive and that it is just an intestinal blockage, there isn't much I can do other than epsom salts and clean water is there?
    Last edited by Amazon Sword; 06-16-2020 at 06:17 AM.

Real Name
    Brian

I really don't think there's much else you can do given your situation. Try as we might, sometimes there's nothing that can be done. I've experienced this same situation in the past and I had the meds on hand and I still lost it. I've seen others turn around and make a full recovery. I would just keep up your routine and hope for the best. As long as it's eating there is hope..

I saw earlier where you asked if massaging it would work. I would not do this. You risk forcing the infection into other areas of the body cavity...

Registered Member

Sadly the fish isn't eating, it still looks OKish though, apart from the gigantic belly... I'm just gonna continue the metro treatment till day 10 and just keep up the water changes. Here's to hoping it turns around, it would really pain me to see it go, especially since it used to be the most active fish in the aquarium.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast