AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Reef conversion questions

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Lee

Default Reef conversion questions

I am coverting my reef tank to discus. I have a few questions about equipment.

I have a 110g display tank with 30g sump. RedSea 525.
    I know barebottom is the best, but I just don't like it. I am looking at thin white fine sand (1/2 inch), a few rocks, and a little driftwood. No plans for plants.
    I definatly want to keep it easy as possible to clean.
    I have a brute trash can to soak the driftwood for a while. May even boil it. Part of my deal is my wife gets to pick wood and rocks, so I don't know the size shape yet.

I have a few things I clearly wont need - dosing pump, skimmer, chiller.
    I have programmable LED lights that I can turn way down. then play around with the spectrum.

I'm upgrading my heaters to hand the higher heat.

I also have a Algea Turf Scrubber, I plan to see if it worth the time to mess with. Thats kinda on me

The main question I have: I have a pair of Maxspect gyre pumps. Should I use that at a low setting just to move water around. maybe off at night ?
    Do discus like any current at all ? I also have a couple power heads, but I wasn't planning to use them.

My tank is open top. I wanted a nice net top a while back and my wife said no until one fish jumps. Still waiting on that.
    I know thats brutal, but its deals i make to keep a tank in the living room.

Registered Member

Default Re: Reef conversion questions

I uses ecotech vortechs in my discus tank on low settings. Helps oxygenate the water.

Recommend you use simple white pool sand. Remember reef sand will add Calcium and hardness to the tank.

I use AI lighting on lower settings and different spectrum.

I use an algae scrubber but rarely have to clean it because I change water three times a week