ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Young discus with spots/not eating

Registered Member

Default Young discus with spots/not eating

Hi everyone, any help is appreciated

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    Noted some white spots, poor appetite for 1 day. Only thing unusual is missed water change 2 days ago.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

not eating, white spots, possible wound

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    1 dose paraguard 5ml/10g

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    30g, 8 juveniles 2.5 inch

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    30% change 2x day.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    Running about 6 weeks bare bottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    Yes, several days, no ph swing

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    Prime. Added to the aging barrel, as directed 5ml/50g

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __86___

- ph __7.6___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __5__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __x__

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    no

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

cobalt discus flakes 2x/day, half cube Beefheart frozen cube 1x/day

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    attached

Thank you for your help
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Shan

Default Re: Young discus with spots/not eating

You've been running the tank for only 6 weeks? Did you make sure the tank was properly cycled?

When adding PRIME to the barrel, do you do it when filling the barrel for the week or when adding water to the tank from the barrel?

Is it just the 1 discus that is not eating and showing symptoms or several? How is their poop?
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Registered Member

I checked to make sure the tank was cycled. I used some filter media from an established tank and then let it run for a few weeks. I keep a seachem badge on it too, showing no ammonia

I add the prime to the aging barrel as I add the water.

The rest of the fish are doing fine and eating well. Their poop looks fine, small brown lumps that I siphon every day.

Real Name
    Brian

It seems you are doing everything correctly. 8 small discus in a 30g is pushing the max on tank size but with 2 30% water changes per day you should be ok. However, I would bump it to 1 50% or more per day and add 3 TBS regular salt per 10g until this is resolved. This appears to be bacterial so I would reduce the temp to 82. 1 50% water change actually reduces bioload more than 2 30%.

What type of filtration are you using? Only one fish affected? You said you used established filter media, I'm wondering if there could be some cross contamination.

If you don't see positive results quickly then I would treat with Furan 2 or Nitrofurizone.

Registered Member

1. I'm afraid the tank is too small. The bigger has better inertia for temperature and also for water chemistry.

2. Look for eSHa 2000, probably the best medication for those bacteria and fungus diseases. Use 25 drops per 100 liters for three days, then change 80 % of water.

3. Don't depend on one kind of tests. At least for nitrates, look for more expensive liquid tests (Sera is probably the best).