ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seachem Safe and Prime/other conditioners

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Seachem Safe and Prime/other conditioners

Unless I missed something previously. How do you (or would you) mix the solution of Safe? Perhaps we could see the chart?

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    How do you mix up your ClorAm-X stock solution? There aren't even dosing instructions for dechlorination on the jar or website.

The directions on the back and from Seachem aren't to be trusted.

I measure dry dechlorinators using a semi-analytical balance with a readability of 0.01 mg and repeatability of 0.02 mg. It has an internal calibration mass but I also check it with a set of Class 0 and Class 1 calibration masses. If I put a 1 mg calibration mass on it, it will read 1.000 mg.

Liquids are measured using micropipettes and calibrated gravimetrically using the aforementioned balance.

Chlorine is measured using the same equipment water treatment plants use.

I've developed a strict procedure where I weigh or measure out small amounts of dechlorinator and use it to incrementally dechlorinate my tap water. That generates a graph of dechlorinator dose vs. total chlorine whose slope is essentially the "concentration" of a dechlorinator in terms of mg chlorine per mL or mg of dechlorinator.

The numbers provided by Seachem are complete garbage. Any calculation relying on those numbers are also garbage.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Unless I missed something previously. How do you (or would you) mix the solution of Safe? Perhaps we could see the chart?
    I dosed it dry because I can accurately weigh out small quantities. I have a mixing pump at the bottom of my water change barrel. The barrel has graduations every 5 gal and I always fill it to 50 for testing.

Prime.png

2019-06-21 13_55_56-dechlorinator test results.xlsx - Excel.png

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    My SAFE stock solution is calibrated to 1 ml/gal, comparable to liquid versions of AmQuel, etc. My calculations show that 631 gm of the SAFE powder in one gallon of water gives me that dosage. I use a little food scale to measure out enough to make 2 X 1 gal of stock solution each time, which should last 3 - 4 months.
    there is around 3785 ml in a gallon. @ 1 ml / gallon. that means you want to treat 3785 gallons. 3785 / 300 * 5 = 63 grams ?

Registered Member

Buy any chance do you have the results without dosing prime and safe?
    It would be good to see how chlorine level changes over the time by itself.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pablos View Post
    Buy any chance do you have the results without dosing prime and safe?
    It would be good to see how chlorine level changes over the time by itself.
    I don't but I've noticed it goes down by itself faster than you'd expect since it's chloramine and the barrel is clean. That's why I keep the timing the same (30 min intervals).

It may be microbial degradation or it may be due to heating and/or the mixing.

I also store water in an unused tank that isn't heated or mixed and chloramine seemed to linger there.

At some point I'll have to experiment (barrel with heat/pump but no dechlorinator, heat only, and pump only).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12