AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Water Stability and Stupid Check

Real Name
    Shan

Default Water Stability and Stupid Check

Hi guys~

As I'm getting closer to starting anew, I wanted to touch base with a few water quality issues and see if any concerns would arise. Perhaps there's somethings that I am missing and maybe someone else can flag for me before I get into trouble again.

This is the article from my city water that I am using as reference. If you are really smart at water works, I ask kindly if you can take a look at this real quick and let me know if something looks funny.

From this article some things that stand out to me.

phnorfolk.PNG

The last number (7.7) is the average PH recorded in my city. However, my PH out of the tap is 7.0. Stable PH is my absolute goal so this is important to me. Does this seem weird? I am a bit concerned also at the statement "Adjusted during water treatment process."

hardness.PNG

I am specifically looking at KH (alkalinity) levels. From my tap is usually takes 2 drops for the API kit to change color, so it's on par with the range. But also with a range this small, I have had issues with PH drops. To combat this I am adding 2 tsp baking soda to achieve 4-5KH to my 60 gallon aging barrel. Alternatives I've considered are Seachem Neutral Regulator or a HOB filter with some crushed coral in it. But for the time being I am leaning on the baking soda unless someone can convince me otherwise if it's a bad idea.

My water also reads 70 TDS out of the tap. I have some RO right available but not sure whether to add this or not. My aging barrel is filled with a simple carbon filter from home depot, then baking soda added, and a heater and bubbler going on for at least a day before any water change of any kind.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to stupid check my work and help my nervousness. Hopefully my water is more stable this time around
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Water Stability and Stupid Check

Shan, what is your ph after aging? It appears if I am reading the report right the water's ph is adjusted from 7.3 to 8.0? or could be the ph range which is quite broad. I think the crusted coral is a better approach to baking soda (no real experience with this however) for buffering your kh.

The RO right only affects your GH (not KH). Do you happen to know what the GH out of tap is.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Shan

What up Pat!

My Ph is still 7.0 after aging with lots of surface agitation. I think my GH 4-5. I haven't checked it in a minute but I remember it being a decent amount. Ill check when I get home. The reason I've strayed away from crushed coral is it didn't seem to work efficiently the first time so I've leaning on baking soda

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Tell me about your crushed coral Shan. How much were you using?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Shan, what I remember from back when I was trying to get into understanding of water chemistry is the people here at the time who had a knowledge of water saying that baking soda only worked for several hours and then the pH would crash again. When you fill a tank with water and with the baking soda added does the kH stay the same for 24 hrs? The experts at the time said no, but if your answer is yes you've got just what you need.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Shan

2 cups of crushed coral in a panty hose placed next to a sponge filter was my previous crushed coral use.

And hi Liz, that's exactly why Im leaning towards baking soda. My PH when I had my angels stayed stable under baking soda use. Once I start cycling my tank, my thinking is that if I don't get a PH crash this time, then the added buffering from the baking soda is my answer. I will begin cycling soon

Real Name
    Frank

Shan,

My KH is averaging 2 also. I am not positive but it might have been the amount of WC that you were doing (90%). Around the beginning of the year, I stopped playing with my KH/GH (tried baking soda and Seachem) and only made 30-40% WC (Yours may vary downward from that). My discus have seemed happier and they bred! How much WC were you doing when your angels died?

You can read this also.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...rop&highlight=
    Last edited by fljones3; 06-17-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Real Name
    Shan

Hey Frank, yes I have scoured through that thread multiple times and I'm very glad you figured your situation out. perhaps the large water changes did aid in my discus loss, but the fact of the matter is I had a PH drop from 7.2 to 6.0 or below (yellow tube api test), so I definitely can't let my small buffering capacity go. I've had a KH of 1 before too. For my angels I used alkaline buffer and acid buffer together and did 30% water changes every other day. On the weekend I did 50%. Worms definitely killed them though as I identified them through microscope. They weren't strong enough to survive the discus wormer+

Real Name
    Frank

No issues. I think you are on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan_Evolved View Post
    Hey Frank, yes I have scoured through that thread multiple times and I'm very glad you figured your situation out. perhaps the large water changes did aid in my discus loss, but the fact of the matter is I had a PH drop from 7.2 to 6.0 or below (yellow tube api test), so I definitely can't let my small buffering capacity go. I've had a KH of 1 before too. For my angels I used alkaline buffer and acid buffer together and did 30% water changes every other day. On the weekend I did 50%. Worms definitely killed them though as I identified them through microscope. They weren't strong enough to survive the discus wormer+