ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Three or five?

Registered Member

Default Three or five?

I have following tank mates:

AquStockImage.png

See:
    http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.p...rchMode=simple

Do you think I should add 2 more discuses, so there will be 5 as recommended .. or it would be overloaded, so I should keep discus count on 3.

Registered Member

Default Re: Three or five?

Five because the other fish are small and because the 5 will serve to spread out any aggression that might develop. If you had thought to find a mated pair for either fun or profit then you have a better change of developing a pair with 5.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Real Name
    Tom

I’m also with 5 . My question is are gouramis good tank mates with discus??

Registered Member

5, but beware the gouramis and silver tips, not ideal by any means. Much better to replace them both with a nice group of cardinals.

Registered Member

And depending on the size and temperament of the discus, those amanos could be food. Or in the very least unreliable algae cleaners since they will always be too scared to come out and do their jobs.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    And depending on the size and temperament of the discus, those amanos could be food. Or in the very least unreliable algae cleaners since they will always be too scared to come out and do their jobs.
    Indeed those shrimps are always hiding ... or have been eaten already as I haven't seen it for a while.

During the weekend I visited local stores to see what do they have. One has imported german's Stedker ... beautiful fish, but price might go as high as 800$ for and adult discus.
    Different store imports fish from Vietnam. Do they look healthy? Would you consider to buy?

154A4662-D55A-45B6-88BA-8FB93371D20F.JPG
    IMG_0674.jpg

Anyway I'm waiting what would happen with my current discuses before extending the crew. Out of three: one passed, one sitting in hospital tank and the smallest one seems fine.
    Last edited by pablos; 06-21-2020 at 03:54 AM.

Registered Member

Pablos, I would recommend that you first email Forrest at minjaya@hotmail.com asking if he has a seller that can ship to you. Arguably the best discus in the world come from Malaysia. Also take the time to order his Discus food. You can view the quality of his fish at Kenny's Discus website located on this forum. Kenny is US based so unless you live in US you would naturally want to know if Forrest had a seller in your country or someone who ships to your country.

Registered Member

Thanks for sharing contracts. I took a look on Kenny’s shop and indeed great stock. I love his Blue Carnation Turquoise.

As I’m leaving in UAE, so the natural choice would be Malaysia. As you said it has to be thru some seller as there is some strict law regarding importing leaving animals.

I read a lot of posts about own recipes, but at the beginning I think I would go with a dry food. Any recommendations? Currently I feed with Tera Pro Colour, but I would be grateful if you can recommend some good food.
    Last edited by pablos; 06-21-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Registered Member

Your basic could be freeze dried black worms. Many hobbyists seem to prefer them and the fish relish them. But I also add frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, Tetra Color pellets. I like the Bug Bites but I am not sure the fish like them. I would like to try Forrest's Aquabites but have not gotten to ordering yet. I reason that if the breeder of most excellent Malaysian discus has developed a food that he himself feeds to his fish then it should be the best food to buy.

Registered Member

Pablos, now that I recommended it I just now began the ordering process for DiscusForrest AguaBites. I will report back to you when I get it with my experience with the this food.