AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How long in 29 gallon QT tank?

Registered Member

Default How long in 29 gallon QT tank?

I have a 135 gallon low tech lightly planted community tank (rummies, cardinals, a few GBR) I will eventually be adding discus to. I am pretty comfortable with planted and community tanks in general but am new to discus. I plan on getting 8 to 10 discus and need to know how long I can keep them in a bb 29 gallon grow out tank. I also have a 20 gallon hospital tank if needed for any fish temporarily. We plan on getting our fish from Hans and probably the 3 inch size. I know we are supposed to keep them bb as long as possible I just don't know how long that is in a 29. Unfortunately we don't have room for a 55ish tank currently so the 29 has to be my grow out. Thanks!

Registered Member

Default Re: How long in 29 gallon QT tank?

Questions to ask yourself: What is the point of quarantine? Deworming? Observation? To bulk them up? Do you care if a discus infects a tetra? Do you care if a tetra infects a discus?

To answer your question, 4-6 wks seems to be the 'best practice' quarantine duration. If the established fish in the big tank seem "clean" and healthy, you could make a case for putting the discus right in. If the tetras have parasites to pass along, the QT period for the discus in the 29 won't make any difference.