AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Looking for a microscope

Real Name
    Brendan

Default Looking for a microscope

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a microscope, should I ever need one for identifying things, And for curiosity sake.

However I know nothing about them. What specs should I be looking for, that won’t break the bank. I’m looking to spend no more than about $200 AUD if possible.

Thanks in advance!
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Looking for a microscope

Microscopes are not particularly easy to use. They essentially combine two lenses for magnification. The eye piece is 10X and the objectives have 10X, 40X and 100X to give 100X, 400X and 1,000X magnifications. I used to teach microbiology in college and it took students a good 2 hours to see anything at the higher magnifications, even with me standing right there.
    Mic.jpg

Bacteria can only be seen at 1,000X and that's only when they're stained. My first lab class was to ask them to adjust the microscope and draw what they see of a pre-stained slide. Even in that setting, ~50% of the drawings would be air bubbles!

To see things like capillaria/nematodes/spores, which are eukaryotic and multicellular, I'd recommend a stereo binocular, which have lower magnification. They are easier to handle and cheaper. I also find binocular vision to be easier on the eyes than the monocular in a standard microscope.
    Binoc.png

Having said that, I've never bothered to use either for discus keeping.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Shan

Do you guys have a local people's market? Like online facebook marketplace or offerup or a similar app?

I actually found my microscope for dirt cheap from a local facebook aquarium group member who had one laying around. You don't need more than 100x magnification or so I'm told.

@Willie, I KNEW you were a teacher of some sort! Nice job man. Good knowledge of micros
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Microscopes are not particularly easy to use. They essentially combine two lenses for magnification. The eye piece is 10X and the objectives have 10X, 40X and 100X to give 100X, 400X and 1,000X magnifications. I used to teach microbiology in college and it took students a good 2 hours to see anything at the higher magnifications, even with me standing right there.
    Mic.jpg.

Bacteria can only be seen at 1,000X and that's only when they're stained. My first lab class was to ask them to adjust the microscope and draw what they see of a pre-stained slide. Even in that setting, ~50% of the drawings would be air bubbles!

To see things like capillaria/nematodes/spores, which are eukaryotic and multicellular, I'd recommend a stereo binocular, which have lower magnification. They are easier to handle and cheaper. I also find binocular vision to be easier on the eyes than the monocular in a standard microscope.
    Binoc.png

Having said that, I've never bothered to use either for discus keeping.

Good luck, Willie
    Appreciate the insight Willie and an interesting background for yourself. It must have provided helpful over the years of keeping discus!
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]