ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Hey Tom! (or anyone else)

Default Hey Tom! (or anyone else)

What do you make of this? I put all new prefilters in my RO unit just last week. As usual, PSI went way up to almost 65. By yesterday it had dropped to 60 which is still fine. After WC I turned the unit on. I let it run all night. Waste goes to my 250 gallon container, product goes to my 50 gallon barrel. By morning the barrel has just the correct amount of RO for me to add a tad of waste to the barrel to fill it completely and bring the TDS up to 20.

This morning I went down and saw the unit needed to run a little longer. Then I glanced at the pressure gauge. It read 0!!! My first sediment filter was filthy so I replaced it. Pressure still 0. I replaced the second sediment filter...still 0. I replaced the first carbon filter it went up to 20 PSI. I replaced the second, and finally I was back up to 65 but after running for just a short while my first prefilter was already looking a little dirty and my pressure was down to 60.

I had been running my RO over night like this every night since I got the new prefilters and pressure had only dropped a few PSI. And suddenly, out of nowhere, THIS! I checked the TDS from my tap. It is usually 79 and this morning it was reading 90 which for any normal water would be fine but with this water is not fine.

What do you make of this? I've been using almost 50 gallons of RO lately because I'm giving my fish a pre-breeding clean up and right now am on day 8 of metro. I change almost 100% of water every day during treatment, so I'm using much more than I normally would. Still, if this continues I'm going to have to limit my use of RO to just after eggs are laid like Willie does.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Hey Tom! (or anyone else)

It sounds like extra sediment is finding its way into and through parts of your system .
    Some RO units have flush kits so you can flush out caught sediments before they get to the next stage in the filter .It just depends where in your filter you place it .
    My system has a flush valve but I don't need to use it .
    Did you get your pump hooked up yet ?
    You are running 5 micron then 1 micron sediments before your carbon ?
    Have you had a lot of rain lately ? possibly your supply is less clean then usual hence the raised TDS ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

We have had no rain. I'm actually running the sprinkler which I almost never do. I'm running my prefilters as you describe. I have a regular flush valve on mine. I back flush my unit before, during and after I run it. I give it at last 3 minutes to back flush. Is there another type of flush valve I should have? Do tell...

I haven't installed the booster pump yet. I really don't need it if I can maintain my pressure at between 60 and 65 PSI. I have to solve the excess sediment thing before I even think about the booster pump. Having more pressure would just force more sediment into the filters and clog them up faster.
    Mama Bear

Hey Tom, I ran the RO last night and by morning my pressure was down below 40. I replaced a sediment filter and a carbon filter and got it back up to 65. Then I decided to hook up the booster pump and my pressure is up to 95! I know that it's too high but nothing is leaking. Can I run it like that until I go to town to the hardware store in the next few days? I don't have that tiny allen wrench it requires to lower the pressure.

Along the way, I discovered a little thing that should fix my problem with the pre filters clogging up so fast. I just ordered it. I don't see why it wouldn't work even without the pump going. My source water must be full of tiny dirt. What do you think? https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dm-fi...-strainer.html
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

If the issue is large particles that will work out and be very efficient .
    I am afraid like my buddy who has a well making RO water is just very expensive since filters need to be switched out so often .
    He used up a canister of DI material [making water for reef tank] every 100g !
    Got rams ?

Well, the thing is on it's way so at least it will do no harm. I don't have a well myself but my community water comes from wells. Thank God I'm not doing salt water.

Is the 95 PSI from the booster pump to the unit. Is it alright that high as long as it's not leaking?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Yea I would think you are good at 95.
    It is not ideal but should not cause trouble .
    Might see about getting the allen wrench to reduce it to 80 max .
    Lets see how long till the pressure drops again.
    Got rams ?

I won't be using it tonight. I've got plenty product gassing off and warming up. I'll go to town as soon as I need to make a beer or nicotine run which could be as early as tomorrow or as late as Thursday. I knew that It shouldn't be so high but it was great to see product flowing out so fast. Plus, I'm interested in finding out how fast the pre filters get dirty, too. I'm really looking forward to getting that little strainer thing and seeing if it has an effect on things. It won't get her until early next month, though. The one PITA about BRS is that their shipping takes so long unless you're willing to pay through the nose for it.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

If the strainer does not help look for higher micron filter cartridges and just place them before the RO system .
    I run 5 micron then 1 micron .If they went bad on me I would look for a 10 or 25 micron cartridge and place them in front of my other filters .
    The idea is that hopefully you can change the higher micron filters more often for less cost and then not need to replace the finer filters as often .
    Another option would be to get larger 5 and 1 micron filters [20 inchers ] ?
    This link has higher micron sediment filters ;
    https://www.amazon.com/Membrane-Solu...11&tag=mh0b-20
    They don't seem real cheap but maybe they would last long enough to be efficient ?
    Average house filters may be the same ,although they never seem cheap compared to buying filters from a distributor .
    Got rams ?

YOur first idea seems like it would be the most likely so be successful. Thanks for the help, Tom.
    Mama Bear

Tom, I just got the allen wrench. It's a 1.5 mm. Even the guy at the hardware store had to use a magnifying glass to find the right size. I'll put it back to work later. Lunch first.
    Mama Bear

I think that I'll finally get my RO unit to where I want it to be. It was hard to stick that itsy bitsy teeny weeny Allen wrench in the right place. I used a second pair of glasses over my normal see close glasses and it was still hard. First I turned it the wrong way and my pressure was through the roof. Once I realized that it was a release valve I turned it the other way and took it to about 82. It worked like a charm.

My tiny strainer basket today. Sooner than they said. I'll install it tomorrow and hope it does the job. If not, I'll have to buy more dang canisters and more sediment filters of 2 different sizes.

I got an excellent education from my friend Tom. Thank you sir.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Nice work Liz !
    I hope the strainer helps as it would be the easiest and most affordable solution .
    It is my pleasure to help out if and when I can ..
    Got rams ?