ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: My Old Dog Tink

Default My Old Dog Tink

Tink is the last of my dogs I brought when I moved from Alabama to my real home in Mississippi. That was 12+ years ago. She had been dumped off with her husband dog in a vacant lot. People did that kind of thing often in the Mobile area. Another guy took her husband, then got into drugs, and who knows what happened to that dog.

Tink was heartworm positive when I took her in so I had her treated. Years later she developed a cough. She coughed all night long and most of the next day so I took her to the vet. I was worried about her heart, but her ticker was fine and the vet diagnosed kennel cough which is the usual diagnosis of a cough in a dog with a long nose. The other choice would be collapsing trachea. It was not kennel cough. None of my other dogs coughed.

The coughing came back occasionally for many years and then went away. It has become a nearly constant thing now. Some days are better than others for her. Nights and mornings are particularly hard for her. She loves the out of doors but she doesn't want to go outside much any more. When she does she really enjoys it. She no longer can trot up the road like she used to but she sniffs around and still sunbathes a bit. When she comes in, I need to turn the AC lower than I like it myself for her.

This dog is now nearing the end of life. She sleeps mostly during the day because she will have been coughing all night. This is the dog that when I first moved home hunted bunny rabbits, brought them home and ate them hair and all right in the middle of the living room floor while growling all the large dogs away from her catch. Not even the tail bunny tail was left. She would eat the entire rabbit.

It pains me to see her this way, but the little dog has such a will to live. I know I'll have to do the hard thing soon, but I have to wait until she says it's time. The knowing, and watching, and listening to the cough all the time is difficult for me. This is a pic of her when she was out enjoying the out of doors this afternoon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: My Old Dog Tink

Sorry to hear this Liz. I watched my childhood dog (a golden German Shepherd) die. A time of sorrow.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Ah Liz, I know how you feel. We are facing the same with our lab Belle. We know this is her last year. Tink will tell you when it is time. It is so hard watching them grow old. Dogs simply do not live long enough. Tink was lucky to have found you and sounds like she has had a good life. Hurts like hell to lost them! Many hugs Liz.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

I am down to 1 dog from 5 over the last couple years .
    Heartbreaking without a doubt .
    The best thing I learned is that there are 'mobile vets' that will come to your house to euthanize .
    For me and my dogs that is the blessing that kept me sane .
    I could not bare to take my dogs to the vet they never really enjoyed for their last moments .
    To be able to let my dogs relax on the couch and stay in their home for their last minutes with me made the difference in the world .
    I hope I die at home and not in a hospital and feel all the love that could and should be offered was .
    I used two different vets as scheduling was last minute and the one was already booked the day we needed them but both were very kind ,caring and gentle people .
    They took their time and spent an hour in my home with the dog ,me and my wife .
    I can only recommend the same to all.
    The stress of the vet trip [and trip home] for my dog and me was completely alleviated .
    The cost in NY was only around $250 compared to go to the vet office it was worth every penny IMO.
    Sorry your going through this .
    I was told by a close friend once that God made our favorite pets short lived because as humans we really can't handle mortality well and we are supposed to be learning ?
    I am not sure if your are familiar with the rainbow bridge ?
    Rainbow Bridge.
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
    All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
    You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
    Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
    Author unknown...
    And now I am crying again. My dogs have been my best friends ever .
    Last edited by coralbandit; 06-19-2020 at 04:19 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Darn it Tom, that made me cry
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Bill G.

Loved the Rainbow Bridge you shared. That reminds me of a plague I have hanging with my past/present wall of dog pics called “A Dog’s Plea”. See it below. Dogs are THE best animal on the planet......ever notice dog is God backwards? Liz, my heart goes out to you for I know you must do what is best for the dog despite the pain to you. When the time comes, let the memories give you strength. I dread the day when my best buddy has to be put down. The last one had me crying for a long time and that empty house was a killer. Luckily we found a new collie in a short time who has wagged his heart into mine.

4993A570-7FB5-4C85-A7AE-A3E6D18C3FA4.jpg

DF1B57C0-C4E4-4E1A-8D72-FB512946884A.jpg

A Dog's Plea

“Treat me kindly, my beloved friend for no heart in all this world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick for though I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail, when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements.

I ask no greater glory than to have the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.

Keep my pan filled with water for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, wiliing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And my friend, when I am old and no longer enjoy good health and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going, I am not having fun.

Please see that my trusting life is taken gently.

I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.”
    Last edited by 14Discus; 06-19-2020 at 07:58 PM.

I knew about the Rainbow bridge. I have never read A Dog's Plea. It moved me to tears.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Hard to read these posts from you all. pets are so important in our lives. Our 4 cats are such an important part of our lives here. Big hug to you from me Liz. Tink has many special friends waiting for her. How did you choose her name? Short for Tinkerbelle?
    Barb
    Last edited by Disgirl; 06-19-2020 at 08:42 PM.

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

I would love to imagine her in dog heaven hunting bunny rabbits. She was such an independent soul when she was young. She never asked for my attention or wanted to be close to me until she got old. That's a child's dream. Ashes to ashes dust to dust. She will be burred in the garden and provide sustenance for flowers. I will thing of her every time they bloom.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel