ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I saved a turtle's life today!

Real Name
    Brian

Default I saved a turtle's life today!

We all remember when Liz found a chicken on the side of the road... Today it was my turn! I was driving down a busy 4 lane road and this turtle darted out in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and turned at an angle so I could block both lanes in my direction, I got yelled at, honked at and cursed at until I ran over and picked him up. Then everyone was happy, smiling and waving at us. There's no way this guy would have made it all the way across the road with the amount of traffic headed his way. I didn't see a good place to put him, and I didn't think he would be happy with the place I chose and he may have crossed back into the road, so I tossed him in the back of my truck and brought him home. Now he has about 200 acres of thick woods to rummage through.

When I put him on the edge of the woods, he just sat there and stared at me. I haven't seen a turtle in my area for many years. He's a free turtle now so there won't be the updates Liz provided, and I don't know if he was happy or mad but I hope he likes his new home.

turtle 1.jpg

turtle 2.jpg

turtle 5.jpg

turtle 4.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: I saved a turtle's life today!

Cool pics and a nice save on your part Brian. Glad all survived the road. Sounds a bit scary.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

He is beautiful! Looks to be a Slider, full grown. Thanks for saving him, he will love his new home. Could be a she though. If you see the turtle again, turn it over and see how the lower shell, Plastron, is shaped. Curved in is a male, flat is female. You can figure out why the shape....and males usually have red eyes, females orange or yellow.

Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member

The turtle has that shell. I think that if a car were have to struck the lowly amniote that it would be the car and not the turtle who would have flown into the air upon impact.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    He is beautiful! Looks to be a Slider, full grown. Thanks for saving him, he will love his new home. Could be a she though. If you see the turtle again, turn it over and see how the lower shell, Plastron, is shaped. Curved in is a male, flat is female. You can figure out why the shape....and males usually have red eyes, females orange or yellow.

Barb
    Much like discus, Barb. Hard to tell but I am going to try to turn my discus over and see if fthat will reveal its sex. Might work.

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks for the info Barb. The bottom is flat. Do you think it'll be ok in the woods? I may be if I can find it and take it to the farm where there's a pond...

You did great Brian. The heck with the traffic when you had a life to save,
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

We live on a fresh water lake (is there another kind?) and see these guys frequently, but always in the water or very close to it. I do not think it will do well without a pond nearby.

Real Name
    Frank

Great save Brian!
    Your statement ("this turtle darted out in front of me") reminded me of my wife's sister; who, when learning to drive many years ago ran off the road and damaged the family car. She said that it was the turtle's fault. Dad said, "What?" She said, "It darted out onto the road and caused me to run the car off the road."

Real Name
    Brendan

While I’m not too familiar with American species, turtles will need a water source of some sort nearby. Tortoises are land dwelling and do not need a pond as such.

Good save though !
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Brian

Well, I went to look for it after just a few minutes and it was long gone. There is a creek close by but it's usually empty. There's also a pond about 2 blocks away. Hopefully it will make it there. I kind of think it may have escaped from someone because there's no water anywhere near where I found it. I kinda wish I had hung on to it for a bit and taken it to the farm. There's lots of turtles there...

Your statement ("this turtle darted out in front of me") reminded me of my wife's sister; who, when learning to drive many years ago ran off the road and damaged the family car. She said that it was the turtle's fault. Dad said, "What?" She said, "It darted out onto the road and caused me to run the car off the road."
    Not an exaggeration! That little bugger was fast!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Bewdy mate

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Well, I went to look for it after just a few minutes and it was long gone. There is a creek close by but it's usually empty. There's also a pond about 2 blocks away. Hopefully it will make it there. I kind of think it may have escaped from someone because there's no water anywhere near where I found it. I kinda wish I had hung on to it for a bit and taken it to the farm. There's lots of turtles there...

Did you perhaps notice if the turtle was mutated in any way? Do you suppose it was in its teen years by chance?

Did it dart out in front of you as fast as this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FRzmTY7wrk
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast