ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I saved a turtle's life today!

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: I saved a turtle's life today!

That was a painted turtle. Native to America. Not like the sliders. Yes a water turtle. If there’s water near it will smell it and head to it. Hopefully there’s no more roads he’ll have to dart across .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Well, I went to look for it after just a few minutes and it was long gone. There is a creek close by but it's usually empty. There's also a pond about 2 blocks away. Hopefully it will make it there. I kind of think it may have escaped from someone because there's no water anywhere near where I found it. I kinda wish I had hung on to it for a bit and taken it to the farm. There's lots of turtles there...

Not an exaggeration! That little bugger was fast!
    Along with its speed did it perhaps exhibit any martial arts skills. And were you perhaps on you on your way home form the local bar or hemp shop when you encountered this speed merchant?

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Did it dart out in front of you as fast as this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FRzmTY7wrk
    Actually, that's pretty close!

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    That was a painted turtle. Native to America. Not like the sliders. Yes a water turtle. If there’s water near it will smell it and head to it. Hopefully there’s no more roads he’ll have to dart across .
    Just one but it's a residential side street. Unfortunately, the people in my residential area drive like they're in the Indy 500...

Brian Nice Save! Im Fanatical about helping reptiles cross the road when I see one..Most of the time the best course of Action is to help them across to the direction they are headed.They often know why they chose that way.The Turtle you saw was out to lay eggs.... its really the only reason you find aquatic turtles out of the water tjis time of year.. I get them in my yard from time to time.. nearest pond is 1/2mile away.I had baby painters end up in my 100 gal frog pond when they hatch..

Your painter will find their way to a pond Im sure.. they do smell the water.Some turtles are not ones to relocate though ..they have home ranges.. box turtles often will try to get home..Males can travel miles to get back.or die trying.

Aquatic freah water turtles do not have a home range as far as I know.

I really wish people would slow down and let the reptiles cross when they see them..Ive seen people intentionally run them over right in front of me as I try to save them.
    AL
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

This fast? Bertie is the tortoise equivalent to Usain Bolt. At his home in Adventure Valley - a family adventure park in Brasside, Durham, UK - Bertie sprinted over a 5.48 m course in a speedy 19.59 seconds to win title as the Fastest tortoise in the world

My husband who had his hip replacement removed would stop and send the turtles crossing the road. Their are more terrestrial than aquatic turtles where I live so he just took them to the side of the road they were headed toward. It was hard with his hip since one leg was 2" shorter than the other, but he did it because it was the right thing to to.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Liz, your good husband both a king and a prince. When he was a wee lad he by chance have a preoccupation with the video game "Frogger". It goes without saying that Brian did.

My husband was born in 1925. He died in 2000. They didn't have video games back then. He was waaaay older than me, but he's the one I loved and I choose an honest kind man. I think that is the first time I have written about him. It's all been locked away in my heart.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

My husband was born in 1925. He died in 2000. They didn't have video games back then. He was waaaay older than me, but he's the one I loved and I choose an honest kind man. I think that is the first time I have written about him. It's all been locked away in my heart.
    I can appreciate your husband. At my age I am on the edge myself of not wanting to know so much about technology. I have a flip phone and the millennial at work sometime laugh when they see me using it. They all have Zoom, company meetings daily are conducted by Zoom. Except for me. My at home IT department consists of my children. So what do I need any of that for. And recall that I purchased my very first KH test kit on Friday. I now know that my KH with peat is about 50. What ever that means.

I did receive a MegaMan video game from my son yesterday. The game was popular, still is I hear, in the mid 80s. Little Ricky said that this one would be easy for me. So far not true. Anyway discus keeping is a renewed joy for me. From the first time when there was only Doofus Alexrod and wild fish and homemade beef heart to deal with. And normal slow speed turtles.
    Last edited by peewee1; 06-21-2020 at 05:42 PM.

I wish that I could have a flip phone. I would but some of my valued customers prefer to text me for a grooming job for their dog. It's worth the extra cost because the best ones stuck with me and the ones I didn't care much for went away. My close neighbors also prefer to text than call.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I wish that I could have a flip phone. I would but some of my valued customers prefer to text me for a grooming job for their dog. It's worth the extra cost because the best ones stuck with me and the ones I didn't care much for went away. My close neighbors also prefer to text than call.
    Ellie Mae used to complain that it was hard to get together with friends because no one would text her back. I suggested why not call them. "Call them! That would be creepy, Dad! No way, nobody calls nobody no more not for no reason. 'Sept maybe in case of death or dismemberment." I think she learned the death and dismemberment part of that from her soon to be lawyer brother. But I think she really meant to say, life or death.

Real Name
    Shan

Nice job B man. You saved Raphael. Now he can live to fight master shredder another day
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12