ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Getting discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Will

Default Getting discus

Hi my name is Will, I own a 75 gallon tank with two angelfish, I REALLY want to add some discus too the tank, I know I’m working on adjusting the water to 85 degrees Fahrenheit which seems like a good middle of the ranges people are talking about, and I’m keeping a steady ph of 7.0, and I am planning on doing 25-50 percent water changes every other day since I’m planning on getting smaller discus. I also know that they can be left with little food from the Angels eating a lot, but I’ve seen people keep discus successfully with angels. I am also planning on getting a few cheaper discus since it is my first time owning them to make sure I don’t spend a lot of money on an expensive discus just for it to die. Any other advice?

Registered Member

Default Re: Getting discus

Quote Originally Posted by Willfish03 View Post
    Hi my name is Will, I own a 75 gallon tank with two angelfish, I REALLY want to add some discus too the tank, I know I’m working on adjusting the water to 85 degrees Fahrenheit which seems like a good middle of the ranges people are talking about, and I’m keeping a steady ph of 7.0, and I am planning on doing 25-50 percent water changes every other day since I’m planning on getting smaller discus. I also know that they can be left with little food from the Angels eating a lot, but I’ve seen people keep discus successfully with angels. I am also planning on getting a few cheaper discus since it is my first time owning them to make sure I don’t spend a lot of money on an expensive discus just for it to die. Any other advice?
    You have done the homework, as they say. I do not know how angels and discus cohabit but I think that if you chose your fish from a well known seller with good feedback that your fish well thrive as they grow out. You know that younger fish would cost less money and with a 75 gallon tank you could begin with 6 or more discus depending on the angel fish count. I would invest in a few basic medications to have on hand in the event something pops up. Do you live in the states, Asia, Europe? Have you thought about the foods that you would stock or would stock and would it be something common to both angel fish and their cousins the discus? Best of luck.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Will

My Angelfish are pretty young so they will probably be smaller than the discus right now. Im planning on getting 3 cheaper discus just to make sure that they thrive and don't have any problems, and then ill eventually get 3 more. I live in the US, and I have a pretty good retailer to buy from. I'm planning on feeding a few different things, Discus Bio Gold, Discus flakes, and red bloodworms(not too often because I know they can get very attached to bloodworms).

Real Name
    Mervin

I think you're headed in the wrong direction if those are your plans. Never buy less than 5-6 young discus; that would be the least amount. All should be bought together. Never buy "cheap" discus; always start with good stock to be successful. Another thing to think about is bare bottom or substrate.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    I think you're headed in the wrong direction if those are your plans. Never buy less than 5-6 young discus; that would be the least amount. All should be bought together. Never buy "cheap" discus; always start with good stock to be successful. Another thing to think about is bare bottom or substrate.
    I was thinking the same with 6 to begin. There is the larger the number the less the aggression thinking. Should you buy 3 and then want to add more later they you are faced with another 6 week quarantine period before adding the new 3 to the community. The new 3 or more should be from the same source but still could bring new infections to the existing group. Should that occur you might lose one or 2 fish which in turn would increase your per fish cost. Say for example you had three then bought three more then lost one you are paying for 6 fish and getting only 5 in the long run.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    I was thinking the same with 6 to begin. There is the larger the number the less the aggression thinking. Should you buy 3 and then want to add more later they you are faced with another 6 week quarantine period before adding the new 3 to the community. The new 3 or more should be from the same source but still could bring new infections to the existing group. Should that occur you might lose one or 2 fish which in turn would increase your per fish cost. Say for example you had three then bought three more then lost one you are paying for 6 fish and getting only 5 in the long run.
    Ok sounds good, ill get 6. Do you recommend ordering online since my dealer does not get in the fancier kinds?

Registered Member

Online is okay. Here are a few sellers that have nice photos of what they have in stock. Including all costs. All are recommended by this forum. Go to the sponsor section to find links to their online stores.

Chicago Discus (Josie Christopher / Miranda Miller) - Chicago, Illinois

Dennis' Discus Fish (Dennis Velkov) - Bowling Green Ohio

Golden State Discus (Doug and Lynda Warner)-Rocklin,California

Kenny's Discus (Kenny Cheung) - Daly City, California

Winnie's Discus (Ceyhun,Breeder/Owner) -Jackson Heights, NY

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Online is okay. Here are a few sellers that have nice photos of what they have in stock. Including all costs. All are recommended by this forum. Go to the sponsor section to find links to their online stores.

Chicago Discus (Josie Christopher / Miranda Miller) - Chicago, Illinois

Dennis' Discus Fish (Dennis Velkov) - Bowling Green Ohio

Golden State Discus (Doug and Lynda Warner)-Rocklin,California

Kenny's Discus (Kenny Cheung) - Daly City, California

Winnie's Discus (Ceyhun,Breeder/Owner) -Jackson Heights, NY
    Can I keep the gravel substrate that I have in the tank right now?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willfish03 View Post
    Can I keep the gravel substrate that I have in the tank right now?
    Only if you vacuum it daily.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    Only if you vacuum it daily.
    I usually do vacuum it almost daily so that works out fine

Registered Member

Don't mix angels with discus for many reasons (well, perhaps except altums), food is one of them, temperatures, parasites etc. Your tank is also quite small. With bigger tank, everything is easier. But, ok, if you change 25 % of water every single day or 50 % of water every two days, it can be fine. Automated water change is recommended. Do not buy less then 6 discus, they can count The aggression is one reason, the second is they are more comfortable, less stressed in bigger group. Add a group of cories, they can decrease necessity of vacuum to sth like twice per week.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by unicast View Post
    Add a group of cories, they can decrease necessity of vacuum to sth like twice per week.
    Please, seriously, just add cories ONLY because "you WANT them".
    Not because you think that they are your roomba.
    They never are and never will be.
    They eat and poop the same amount of sh!t is still in the closed system.
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...