AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats up Doc?

Default Whats up Doc?

I've spent alot of time in my yard the last few months thanks to the Pandemic. I know its a real inconvenience in many ways that has really had a huge negative impact on people everywhere,myself included...but I try and look on the bright side and I make the best of a bad situation. My yard has been a really great place for me to stay busy. I have put the time to use working with my photography Hobby. I have also gotten very well acquainted with the wildlife here...and the more time I spend with it the less fearful it has become.

One of my most friendly Yard denizens is a cotton tail Rabbit. For whatever reason, its lost all fear of me. I can literally sit on the ground 10 feet from it and it will go about its business. I've been in my hammock and its been eating clover within Arms Reach.

As far as photography Subjects, its been most cooperative!

IMGP2632

IMGP2793

IMGP2832

IMGP2657

Its nice because I can get these decent shots without having to crop. Given the close relationship the rabbit and I have formed I decided to name it Hazel after a well known Rabbit story, Watership Down. I'm still working out the whole, keeping Hazel out of vegetable patches bit but luckily my yard is "au naturale" plenty of weeds and clovers to eat which hazel seems to love.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 06-22-2020 at 01:20 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Whats up Doc?

Hazel is a cutie pie, great photos Al.

I have formed "relationships" with the turkeys, one tortoise I call "Little Red" who is tolerate of my presence and this summer a doe who likes to hang about. My daughter got me a bird bath for Mother's day and yesterday we put up bird feeders to attract the smaller birds to the yard. I too have a natural yard (only mow) and the tortoises love to graze the new greens a day or two after mowing.

Little Red sunning herself next to the driveway.
    Pat

Little Red
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hazel is a cutie pie, great photos Al.

I have formed "relationships" with the turkeys, one tortoise I call "Little Red" who is tolerate of my presence and this summer a doe who likes to hang about. My daughter got me a bird bath for Mother's day and yesterday we put up bird feeders to attract the smaller birds to the yard. I too have a natural yard (only mow) and the tortoises love to graze the new greens a day or two after mowing.

Little Red sunning herself next to the driveway.
    Pat

Little Red
    Pat
    Little Red is looking like its popping out of a watercolor painting Pat. Nice Isolation in PP.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Little Red is looking like its popping out of a watercolor painting Pat. Nice Isolation in PP.

al
    Thanks Al, I used a plug-in to help blur the BG a bit and used it to add a little artistic effect to the FG.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

Great pictures .
    I have so much to learn !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

I don't take very good photos, but I see animals ALL of the TIME. Already spotted 6 different kinds of snakes in my yard since April 1st. I see most of the snakes at night, so I never get good pictures. I see Javelinas, Bob Cats, MuleDeer, Mountain Lions, too... but again either it's at night or I don't have a camera. I should take a picture of the Quails that nest in our yard with their babies... Anyway, I do have 3 taken in the last two weeks or so.

So I have 3 photos to show:
    1. Coyote in my Yard.
    2. Gila Monster on the side of the Road about 5 minutes from my home.
    3. An Owl that was two meters from me while I was looking at turtles at a pond about 10 miles from my home. The Owl never moved... I didn't see him when I first approached the edge of the pond. He was standing on a pack-rat that he had caught.

1. CoyoteInYard.jpg
    2. GilaMonsterSideOfRoad.jpg
    3. OwlPondAmadoTerritories.jpg
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Al and Pat are speaking a language that is foreign to me. My yard is "whatever comes up that's green". I mow it, and that's all. I have plans to renovate the front yard, though. It turned in to a very big job for little old me when I remembered that I have 20+ wild type chickens, 4 wild and 2 tame dogs, and one tame horse that all live their own lives running free out side. Before I till and smooth and plant I need to fence the area in to protect it until it gets established.
    Mama Bear

That's a nice well fed coyote. The one that visits me is scrawny and starved looking. It snags one of my pullets from time to time, but it's hard to blame it because it's obviously hunting to stay alive.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brendan

Great photos guys! It’s such a nice feeling when you are ‘connected’ to wildlife like that. I think it is important to help give wildlife a home or resources for their survival, after all the land has been cleared for new homes etc.
    Not to hijack but I dug an in ground 2000L pond for my turtles about 6 months ago. They love it but it is a real treat seeing native animals use it to drink from and/or call home. I’ve spotted various bugs, dragonfly’s, frogs, skinks etc.

Keep the photos coming guys!
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post
    I don't take very good photos, but I see animals ALL of the TIME. Already spotted 6 different kinds of snakes in my yard since April 1st. I see most of the snakes at night, so I never get good pictures. I see Javelinas, Bob Cats, MuleDeer, Mountain Lions, too... but again either it's at night or I don't have a camera. I should take a picture of the Quails that nest in our yard with their babies... Anyway, I do have 3 taken in the last two weeks or so.

So I have 3 photos to show:
    1. Coyote in my Yard.
    2. Gila Monster on the side of the Road about 5 minutes from my home.
    3. An Owl that was two meters from me while I was looking at turtles at a pond about 10 miles from my home. The Owl never moved... I didn't see him when I first approached the edge of the pond. He was standing on a pack-rat that he had caught.

1. CoyoteInYard.jpg
    2. GilaMonsterSideOfRoad.jpg
    3. OwlPondAmadoTerritories.jpg
    Peter you've got some cool critters there my friend!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Al and Pat are speaking a language that is foreign to me. My yard is "whatever comes up that's green". I mow it, and that's all. I have plans to renovate the front yard, though. It turned in to a very big job for little old me when I remembered that I have 20+ wild type chickens, 4 wild and 2 tame dogs, and one tame horse that all live their own lives running free out side. Before I till and smooth and plant I need to fence the area in to protect it until it gets established.
    Best kind Liz!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanJ23 View Post
    Great photos guys! It’s such a nice feeling when you are ‘connected’ to wildlife like that. I think it is important to help give wildlife a home or resources for their survival, after all the land has been cleared for new homes etc.
    Not to hijack but I dug an in ground 2000L pond for my turtles about 6 months ago. They love it but it is a real treat seeing native animals use it to drink from and/or call home. I’ve spotted various bugs, dragonfly’s, frogs, skinks etc.

Keep the photos coming guys!

Can you see me now?

IMGP0111

IMGP0132

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

But Al, I see what it could be in my mind's eye and it is so beautiful. I have months to think about it before it turns cool and I can even think of doing fencing. If I feel it will be worth the effort I'll put the effort in to it. If not, I'll continue to mow what's green.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    But Al, I see what it could be in my mind's eye and it is so beautiful. I have months to think about it before it turns cool and I can even think of doing fencing. If I feel it will be worth the effort I'll put the effort in to it. If not, I'll continue to mow what's green.
    Liz , if you do change it up, please post some before and after pics!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I shall.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast