AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad BAD NEWS!

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Default Re: Bad BAD NEWS!

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    You do age your water, don't you Vinni?
    I am fortunate to live on a ranch here in TN. The water is excellent 6.5PH. I have tested it many times. We also have a huge stream/river with crystal clear water running on the back of the property.

When we first moved here we tried to raise guppies. For years we tried and it never once occurred to me it was the low PH. We came from CAL where the PH is 8.0 or higher. Guppies thrived.

Nancy is still into the guppies. I lost interest in them. They are just too inbred nowadays. Weak IMO.

You should still test for a swing in pH. Guppies don't care, but Discus object for constant pH swings. It's not that hard to test it.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

You should still test for a swing in pH. Guppies don't care, but Discus object for constant pH swings. It's not that hard to test it.
    OK, I will indeed do that. Thanks for the tip

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Oh, I should also tell you that I purchased a filter system for our tap.
    We drink it so I want it to be good.

Well, if this one little thing is not worth doing to you, don't do it.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Well, if this one little thing is not worth doing to you, don't do it.
    Oh, no. Please don't misunderstand.

I do check the PH quite often. Not every time, I will admit, but I do it a lot.

I also check it a lot in my aquarium before WCs

No change before and after WCs

I use the Tetra Quick Strips. I know they are not perfect, but are they close enough?

I test the ammonia with a good tester.

What I'm asking is if you've ever checked the swing in pH between your water straight from the tap and water from the same tap that has been put in a bucket and aerated for 12 hrs. It's something every Discus keeper should know. People often ignore it and wonder why over time their Discus keep feeling less and less well. Some lucky people don't have a swing but the majority of us do.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

That is great customer service and emergency tank!

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

What I'm asking is if you've ever checked the swing in pH between your water straight from the tap and water from the same tap that has been put in a bucket and aerated for 12 hrs. It's something every Discus keeper should know. People often ignore it and wonder why over time their Discus keep feeling less and less well. Some lucky people don't have a swing but the majority of us do.

I have not done that. I have not heard of it before. I will set some out tonight and check it tomorrow.
    Thanks Liz.
    That would indeed be good to know.
    I did not know the PH changed if the water sits.
    Vinni

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

OK, I jut tested it. 6.5 exactly

See y'all tomorrow

Thanks again Liz

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Good morning everyone.
    Happy 4th!

I just rechecked the PH in my container.
    It is the same as last night... 6.5 PH

Now is that a good or bad thing?
    Good, right?

Thanks

You are one of the lucky ones, Vinnie. You can keep on doing as you have been. The reason the water changes pH after sitting with an air stone in it is that as the air bubbles it gasses off CO2 and the pH goes up. If it's surface water your working with it may contain too much O2. In that case the excess oxygen gasses off. Most tap waters come from a well and contain a lot of CO2.

Way back when I tested mine when I was new, my pH had just a .4 change. It went from 6.8 to 7.2. I thought that that wasn't a significant swing but after a month or 6 weeks I saw the Discus acting somewhat less happy. Not sick, but not happy. Once I started aging the fish went back to normal. Too many people don't know about this and it's a shame because it matters to Discus. These days I even age for my tanks that don't need it like my Rainbows, Bristle Nose, and shrimp.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

You are one of the lucky ones, Vinnie. You can keep on doing as you have been. The reason the water changes pH after sitting with an air stone in it is that as the air bubbles it gasses off CO2 and the pH goes up. If it's surface water your working with it may contain too much O2. In that case the excess oxygen gasses off. Most tap waters come from a well and contain a lot of CO2.

Way back when I tested mine when I was new, my pH had just a .4 change. It went from 6.8 to 7.2. I thought that that wasn't a significant swing but after a month or 6 weeks I saw the Discus acting somewhat less happy. Not sick, but not happy. Once I started aging the fish went back to normal. Too many people don't know about this and it's a shame because it matters to Discus. These days I even age for my tanks that don't need it like my Rainbows, Bristle Nose, and shrimp.
    WOW! Great info! Thanks.
    SO good to know this.
    Sounds like I should maybe test it now and then.

Will the PH always go up as yours did, or can it go down as well?

Thanks again Liz

As long as your tap water always comes from the same source which I would imagine it will I see no reason to test it again. But at least now when here ask if you have a pH swing you can say no, and if someone comes on with a water related fish problem you can ask them the question and teach them why it matters.

If your tap water comes from a surface source with a lot of water agitation it can pick up extra O2 and it will go down with aging. I've found that a one time big swing like when you order fish from a supplier with different water from yours dropping and plopping doesn't bother them as long as the pH remains stable after that. It's the constant up and down swings that does bother them.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

That all makes sense.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast