ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Bad BAD NEWS!

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Bad BAD NEWS!

Euro Bracing Euro bracing is an approx. 3” wide strip of glass that runs all around the perimeter of the tank. It gives you complete & free access to the inside of your tank without any cross braces. This is also a favored option for those optimizing on the light penetration into their tank. This bracing can also be polished for a very refined look. In very large tank applications, euro bracing is tempered.

http://coasttocoastaquariums.com/pro...ium-portfolio/

https://www.aquariumillusions.com/aq...-custom-tanks/

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    How’s it going Vinni? When’s the new tank due? Not sure what euro bracing is? But my clear for life tanks are all 24” high and use 3/8 arcylic. 2 90s and a 125. If they let you keep it I would try that bracing. Mark the cracks so you can see if they get bigger. Than fill it up and leave it outside for a month or 2 to see what happens. You can never have enough tanks .
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

How’s it going Vinni? When’s the new tank due? Not sure what euro bracing is? But my clear for life tanks are all 24” high and use 3/8 arcylic. 2 90s and a 125. If they let you keep it I would try that bracing. Mark the cracks so you can see if they get bigger. Than fill it up and leave it outside for a month or 2 to see what happens. You can never have enough tanks .
    Well, things are going really good so far. Everyone seems to be happy in the 56QT for now. A little bickering but as much as is expected. Nothing brutal.

The tank was supposed to be done at noon today but I did not bother calling him. I figure he will call me when it's done. I don't want to rush him at all.

I have also been getting lots of quotes on other companies making the tank for me if this does not pan out. We shall see.
    Who knows, he may throw up his hands and say uncle.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I truly admire you with all that patience you've displayed. I never had a custom made tank so I have no idea how long it takes to get one made and delivered, so I totally would be freaked out by now waiting. Good luck and hang in....
    Last edited by farebox; 07-08-2020 at 07:33 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Yeah Vinni I’m with a Roland you’ve got patience! Hope the new one is perfect and lasts a lifetime . Good to here all is well in the 56.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Look what showed up today!!!

I like this tank much better than Phase 1.

They routed the two front corners from top to bottom. Much nicer on the elbows when walking by.

He also did not put a coat of Weldon 16 on the inside as a precaution. I appreciated the precaution, but it looked bad.

The access holes on this tank are much more usable. I just did not plan the last one out correctly.

Question for you acrylic gurus. They welded the tank together with Weld-On SciGrip, of course. They did 2 applications. I asked if I should to the 3rd and he said "It would be cheap insurance". My question is, will the late application hurt or weaken the already bonded connections at all?

New Tank1.jpg

New Tank 2.jpg
    Last edited by Vinni Smith; 07-09-2020 at 06:16 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Looks good Vinnie!! No clue on the weld-on. Why do you think it need 3 applications?? Good luck with it. When can you fill it and did you keep the old tank?

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Looks good Vinnie!! No clue on the weld-on. Why do you think it need 3 applications?? Good luck with it. When can you fill it and did you keep the old tank?
    Thanks Bro. I think this tank looks even better than the last one.
    As I understand, the last one was extruded acrylic and this one is cast acrylic.
    I know what that means with guitar picks and lasers but not a clue in the world of aquariums.
    Nancy says it is more clear looking than the older one. I think maybe so.

I just thought 3 would be better than 2, I guess.
    Maybe I am just over the top sometimes.

Thinking of filling it tomorrow.

I asked if he wanted the other one back and he immediately said "No".
    So, who knows. Maybe another discus tank in my work office.
    Nancy said no, but I think she would go for a herd of 8 Blue Diamonds.
    Heh?
    Last edited by Vinni Smith; 07-09-2020 at 10:12 PM.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Here they are in their last couple of days of living in the apartment.
    We will most likely move them into the big tank tomorrow.
    For some reason the Blue Diamonds were hiding during this picture...

discus appartment.jpg

Please note the large yellow on the right with nose on the filter.
    That fish has stayed like that for days now and is very protective of that filter.
    I think maybe eggs? But I cannot see any.
    Will they lay eggs without pairing up with a mate?
    It sure is what it looks like.
    Last edited by Vinni Smith; 07-10-2020 at 08:48 AM.

Real Name
    Tom

Lol maybe it just likes the filter. May have to bring that to the new tank. Discus look great! The apartment didn’t bother them at all.
    Before you fill it with blue diamonds do the bracing and fill it outside and leave it for a month or so. Last thing you want is a leak in the house.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

OK, the move went great today!

Everyone is in the new digs and they like it!

This cast acrylic tank is clearer and brighter than the extruded acrylic tank. Nancy noticed that and she is absolutely right.

That yellow fish protected that filter thru all the net work and chasing everyone around the tank. Boy, those rummies are hard to catch!

Do you think I should move the yellow one to the new tank or leave it in the apartment for a while? I really don't want that to be a breeding facility. It should be a QT/hospital tank.
    I don't want to disrupt it's life or stress it out. It never showed any signs of a mate at all. Yet, all the videos I have watched of spawning discus, that is exactly how this fish is acting.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Back Home Discus.jpg

Yes, I prefer fake plants over real ones.
    Yes I am Italian
    No I don't have plastic flamingos in my yard.
    VincenZo

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

I moved the yellow filter hugger into the big tank with the rest.
    Now he/she is guarding the top of the driftwood.
    I wonder if it was part of a pair and when the fish were shipped to me, the pair was split apart???
    Any thoughts?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vinni Smith View Post
    I moved the yellow filter hugger into the big tank with the rest.
    Now he/she is guarding the top of the driftwood.
    I wonder if it was part of a pair and when the fish were shipped to me, the pair was split apart???
    Any thoughts?
    I was told in another thread that the fish recognize one another. If this fish was a part of a pair then the two of them should know who each other are. They are either taking a break from one another or chose not to be a pair any longer. Example would be two that I had paired with a fighting with those two. Then the female abandoned male and paired with the fighter. Then another male came along and she again paired with another. Then that male abandoned her and paired with what appeaser to be another male. On the other hand I had two pair after only two weeks of bringing the female into the school. I moved them to a breeder and they spawned within a few days. At wiggler time the two fought as the male dominated the eggs not allowing the female to come near. I removed the female and placed her into the school leaving the male alone in the breeder. When the fry did not attach I cleaned up the breeder and restarted the filters. I put the female back into the tank and at this time the two are getting alone with a little bit of interest but no cleaning actions yet but they do seem to know one another even after the one week separation and not fighting now.

She's wanting to breed and there isn't a male interested in her. Don't be surprised if she lays eggs with no male helping her. When a female gets full of eggs they need to lay them.
    Mama Bear

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast