ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Discus dropping like flies, please help

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus dropping like flies, please help

As of this morning, my pigeon blood looks to similar the same fleshy marks but they look more like pus spots just above it's eye? I've added more pictures to the folder.
    Last edited by Paul_ds1985; 06-26-2020 at 04:20 AM.

Real Name
    Tom

For adding pics to the thread look above. The third icon is for pics. You can download from your device right to this thread.9B1F7CE9-CD29-4530-9F5B-1CDBBD128735.jpg

Real Name
    Tom

You’ve got something in the tank. Those are big discus. They still need clean water. What type of filter are you running on your tank? Where is the biohome media? Sorry but the whole biohome is just a gimmick. Yes it has tons of surface area and is great for bacteria but to grow denitrifying bacteria it needs to be in a dark oxygen free area for a few months just to creat a small amount of this bacteria. So it would need its own canister filter that rarely ever gets cleaned. Me I never bought into the whole nitrate thing. You if it’s in your tap water will need to remove it. Usually just all the water changes remove it from the tank.
    You may want to contact coral bandit and have him explain his potassium pomegranate treatment. I will kill anything bad in the tank.

Real Name
    Brian

I think you may have more than one issue going on here. Let's address a few things that stand out...

Up until recently I had <5 nitrates, I can't say for sure when it started to spike as i really didn't test my tank when it was "stable", only the last few days have I noticed the high nitrates when my fish were dying. I did however start using tap water to rinse my bio media, which i'll stop doing.
    Rinsing with chlorinated tap water will definitely kill off beneficial bacteria and cause ammonia and nitrate spikes.

All my problems seem to have started when i added the BN's and clowns
    Like I said earlier, I don't see a real cross contamination issue but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Also, I wouldn't wait to for evidence of your loaches attacking your discus. I would remove them now. If you see an improvement then you have your proof. If there is no improvement then we can address possible CC.

Mixture of Prime and fluvial water conditioner.
    I'm not sure what Fluval water conditioner uses to "protect the membranes of the fish", but about a year ago I ran out of Prime and used a water conditioner made by Top Fin that made a similar statement. All my fish immediately got sick, they had skin issues and I even lost a few. I would stop using the Fluval conditioner and try Prime only for the time being. The regular salt I recommended will also protect the slime coat and help ward off infection.

I noticed the Nitrates out my tap are between 30/40?!, I'm sure this has been <5 in the past. I have special bio media that attacks the nitrates and my tank was always <5, that is odd.
    There's a possibility that something is changing at the source. I've seen many times where water companies adjust their treatment process, especially during a change of seasons. You may want to contact them and tell them you are concerned about very high nitrates from tap and see what they say.

To me, it doesn't look like a gash on wood, more like pleco's sucking on it, it's almost a perfect circle?
    Again, I would remove the loaches as soon as possible. Besides, you already said you witnessed at least one of them attacking a discus.

Also, if you can post your photos on this thread it would be helpful. Photo's must be under 2mb.

Registered Member

Hi Jeep, all

Just an update for everyone. I've been doing daily water changes, dosing with salt as advised. Update on discus:

German Wonder discus with "fleshy" bit from gill, he isn't looking good - Whatever is in that tank is peeling the flesh off it's gills/mouth and it's lips look very swollen:

BDA4BEDB-3C49-469C-8097-F8FB275A735A_1_105_c.jpg

This looks identical to the red turquoise that died a few weeks back, which I assumed was "HITH", but had the same fleshy peeling of skin from face and very swollen lips:
    IMG_1635.jpg
    IMG_1641.jpg

One of my solid turquoise died last night, was loosing colour the last few days and excreting mucus (this wasn't mentioned in this post). I moved it into quarantine for a few days, moved it back into main tank when advised about the water changes/salt and died shortly after. Temperature was the same. My solid fire red decided to lay eggs at the same time:

5A07B63A-62B8-44CF-8C1B-F2591301D263_1_105_c.jpg
    63912019-2336-4821-9C75-C1447601D96A_1_105_c.jpeg

My pigeon blood is showing the same signs at German Wonder, flesh peeling off face:

9AABFF16-DCA6-4F2B-8C84-EFF87DDCD41B_1_105_c.jpg

I still have 8 discus which are not showing any symptoms. The Kobalt has healed up nicely

Registered Member

Unfortunately the German wonder has just died ... Like said above, something has been eating away at the flesh?

B782CF4D-981E-450B-8613-D09B3A1D2823_1_105_c.jpg
    72418F3A-86DA-46C2-BA79-2E6C56274F13_1_105_c.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Paul, did you read Brian's last post? Especially this part

I'm not sure what Fluval water conditioner uses to "protect the membranes of the fish", but about a year ago I ran out of Prime and used a water conditioner made by Top Fin that made a similar statement. All my fish immediately got sick, they had skin issues and I even lost a few. I would stop using the Fluval conditioner and try Prime only for the time being. The regular salt I recommended will also protect the slime coat and help ward off infection.
    Are you still using this Fluval water conditioner?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brian

Wow, I'm sorry this is getting worse. I still think you have more than one issue going on and we're consulting with someone else and will get back with you.

In the mean time, do you have access to meds like nitrofurizone? Metro? or other antibiotics?
    Last edited by jeep; 06-27-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Paul, did you read Brian's last post? Especially this part

Are you still using this Fluval water conditioner?
    Pat
    Hi Pat, indeed i did and I've been using prime as a water conditioner.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Wow, I'm sorry this is getting worse. I still think you have more than one issue going on and we're consulting with someone else and will get back with you.

In the mean time, do you have access to meds like nitrofurizone? Metro? or other antibiotics?
    It's really gutting and i really appreciate everyones support. I do have some API general cure (which contains metro) but not enough for a full dose.

In addition I have Interpet Internal bacteria
    https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

And:
    Esha Hexamita Discus disease treatment
    https://www.swelluk.com/esha-hexamit...ase-treatment/

I'm all ears and will buy anything required and will buy ASAP, just worried about shipping times being im from the UK it's not easy to get hold of API General cure/nitrofurizone (Furan 2)

Registered Member

Regardless of how it started, this now looks like a serious bacterial infection.

If you're in the UK, nothing you can buy OTC is going to help so look for a vet.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Regardless of how it started, this now looks like a serious bacterial infection.

If you're in the UK, nothing you can buy OTC is going to help so look for a vet.
    What about potassium permanganate?

Real Name
    Brian

I would try getting the Furan 2 and Metro or General Cure. I'm not familiar with the Interpet but the website makes a pretty bold claim, but many over the counter fish meds make similar claims. It's non-prescription so I can't recommend or not recommend using it in conjunction with the preferred Furan 2 and Metro.

There are several people who highly recommend a product called Bactocide, but the ingredients are a well kept secret and I always prefer to know what I'm putting in my tanks. I think it's available in the UK but I'm not sure.

In the mean time, until meds arrive, I would increase the amount of salt to 1 TBS per gallon and keep up with daily large water changes. You can safely use the Furan 2 and Metro at the same time. For best results I would go with a bare bottom tank. If you do use the Furan 2 and metro, you will most likely kill off your bio filtration so you'll have to re-cycle all over again.

Good luck! This does seem to be a nasty bacterial issue that is getting worse. I wish there was more to recommend and I'm not sure about the PP in this situation, but I don't think it's wise to use on open sores like this. I will ask.

Real Name
    Brian

Tammy Kuilderd also recommends esha Hexamita. She thinks it's sold in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Tammy Kuilderd also recommends esha Hexamita. She thinks it's sold in the UK.
    I do recommend giving it a try. I would also recommend setting up a bare bottom QT tank for treatment. Follow the directions correctly. I know its x number of drops the first day and then less drops the 2nd and 3rd day. Keep the salt going as well as this will help promote healing. I hope this helps.

Tammy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast