ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drones. You you own one? What do you use it for?

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Drones. You you own one? What do you use it for?

Drones have come a very long way in a very short time, and i imagine that they have been used by hobbyist and professionals alike for awhile, whether it be for documentaries, shows, or even for work.

Ive been wanting to purchase one for many years, but was always reluctant fearing that i may loose or crash it. The main reason i wanted to buy one is to capture, from the air, some of my fishing trips, but also to get a birds eye view when traveling.

I've been eying out DJI's Mavic Air 2 and recently purchased their combo package which included two extra batteries, controller, carry bag, blades and a few more goodies.

I'm amazed on how easy it is to fly, and how well it holds position in strong winds. I especially like the return to home button which returns the drone to where it took off from within a couple of feet. It also has some cool features which allow the drone to follow a target from different positions......i only wish that it was resistant to water, as i'm dying to launch it from my boat, but fear it may end up wet. Im sure in time i will gain enough confidence in it to do so though.

So...Do you own a Drone? Which one? What do you use it for?

I'd be very interested to hear your experiences, good or bad.

1.jpg2.jpg
    Last edited by two utes; 06-25-2020 at 04:39 PM. Reason: modify settings
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Drones. You you own one? What do you use it for?

Look at DC Rainmaker's website for fitness tech reviews but he covers drones.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/drones

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Joe, I got my hubby the DJI Mavic 2 Pro with the DJI Smart Controller for Christmas and it still sits in the box. It has a great onboard camera
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Look at DC Rainmaker's website for fitness tech reviews but he covers drones.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/drones
    Thanks Frank. Have watch numerous videos on utube...where would we be without it?

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Joe, I got my hubby the DJI Mavic 2 Pro with the DJI Smart Controller for Christmas and it still sits in the box. It has a great onboard camera
    Pat
    For your Hubby? Yeh Right! .....i believe you Pat, but many wouldn't... I think you should get it out of that box and give it a test flight.

Reminds me of the underwater camera i brought for my wife, but i forgot that she doesn't swim well

Real Name
    Tom

I have the mavic air. Great drone and real small. I take it on all trips. I fly it around the island. But I’ve got an airport about 5miles away and they’ve recently made my home a no fly zone . So doesn’t get used around the house anymore. There are many flying rules and you must register it and put numbers on it.. Yeah I also bought the extra fly package and the mavic flying insurance. I use it like you and have flown it over water. Great camera!

Registered Member

Drones, as you well know, are not just of the aerial type. All robots are drones. Former President Obama was so concerned about the lack of drones laws and potential liability that he requested the White House Technology group to research the topic. The task force found its way to Washington State and the University of Washington Law School. Where they inadvertently met my son who at the time was a budding authority on AI. Obama asked my son to sent to him a proposal but defining the term "artificial intelligence" and a few proposals for legal governance of drone liabilities. Obama knew there were not laws of record that addressed drone liabilities, there still are not any, but he wanted to begin some where. My son and a UW Constitutional law professor set out to create a proposal for Mr. Obama and staff. They did accomplish that task that amounted to an 80 page paper on the subject. MIT has also submitted a paper to Obama that amounted to over 400 pages. My son's submission was read first.

There has not been a new law established in the US for over 90 years dealing with any topic. This drone law would be the first. The paper was published by a leading university law review and since has sold or been downloaded by 2,500 companies, courts, lawyers, and scholars. But here is the point with regard to your drone. If you should be flying your drone and should it cause damage by crash or death who is responsible in court for that which has happened? You, the seller of the drone, the maker of the drone, or the person who programed the drone? Relate this to self driving cars for a more clear grasp of the potential harm a drone might cause.

Be careful with your toy and as you operate it take the same cautions that you would if you were driving your car, boat, airplane...etc. Amazon backed away from their proposed advent of drone package delivery soon after my son's paper was published. Apparently they had not considered what their liability was should one of their drones fly into grandma's face on the front porch.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    I have the mavic air. Great drone and real small. I take it on all trips. I fly it around the island. But I’ve got an airport about 5miles away and they’ve recently made my home a no fly zone . So doesn’t get used around the house anymore. There are many flying rules and you must register it and put numbers on it.. Yeah I also bought the extra fly package and the mavic flying insurance. I use it like you and have flown it over water. Great camera!
    I have heard that you have to register your drone in the States, and alot has to do with the size and weight of the unit. That is not the case here in Australia, but also have similar restriction where to fly the drone.

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Drones, as you well know, are not just of the aerial type. All robots are drones. Former President Obama was so concerned about the lack of drones laws and potential liability that he requested the White House Technology group to research the topic. The task force found its way to Washington State and the University of Washington Law School. Where they inadvertently met my son who at the time was a budding authority on AI. Obama asked my son to sent to him a proposal but defining the term "artificial intelligence" and a few proposals for legal governance of drone liabilities. Obama knew there were not laws of record that addressed drone liabilities, there still are not any, but he wanted to begin some where. My son and a UW Constitutional law professor set out to create a proposal for Mr. Obama and staff. They did accomplish that task that amounted to an 80 page paper on the subject. MIT has also submitted a paper to Obama that amounted to over 400 pages. My son's submission was read first.

There has not been a new law established in the US for over 90 years dealing with any topic. This drone law would be the first. The paper was published by a leading university law review and since has sold or been downloaded by 2,500 companies, courts, lawyers, and scholars. But here is the point with regard to your drone. If you should be flying your drone and should it cause damage by crash or death who is responsible in court for that which has happened? You, the seller of the drone, the maker of the drone, or the person who programed the drone? Relate this to self driving cars for a more clear grasp of the potential harm a drone might cause.

Be careful with your toy and as you operate it take the same cautions that you would if you were driving your car, boat, airplane...etc. Amazon backed away from their proposed advent of drone package delivery soon after my son's paper was published. Apparently they had not considered what their liability was should one of their drones fly into grandma's face on the front porch.
    Thanks for your insight. I'm not actually treating it like a toy but more so like a valuable tool.

I'm not a Drone fan. I think they have a place in certain fields such as remote research and monitoring of wildlife, fire and rescue, and military I guess. But being the Privacy nut I am, the thought of someone flying a drone over my property and taking pics of my things, my family, really steams me. I think of a drone as an extension of the operator, therefore if a guy can get arrested for being on my property the same should apply for flying a drone over it.

I think they have an immense potential for good, but are often abused.

Case in point...
    https://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...icle-1.1836545...

Now before you think this woman was a nut job for the response she took.. This kid didn't learn anything...

https://patch.com/connecticut/clinto...pped-handgun-0
    https://abc7.com/amred-drone-faa-inv...cticut/879680/

I realize that I am in old school way of thinking here, but seriously, don't fly over my house. I get why people shoot them down, not to advocate recklessly discharging a weapon at one, but I think if someone is going to fly one they should respect property owners rights and privacy. I would no more want a person looking in my house, than their drone at my window.
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I guess I'm old school when it comes to drones as well.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I so totally agree with the privacy part. Do NOT fly a drone near my house or there could be trouble.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I'm not a Drone fan. I think they have a place in certain fields such as remote research and monitoring of wildlife, fire and rescue, and military I guess. But being the Privacy nut I am, the thought of someone flying a drone over my property and taking pics of my things, my family, really steams me. I think of a drone as an extension of the operator, therefore if a guy can get arrested for being on my property the same should apply for flying a drone over it.

I think they have an immense potential for good, but are often abused.

I realize that I am in old school way of thinking here, but seriously, don't fly over my house. I get why people shoot them down, not to advocate recklessly discharging a weapon at one, but I think if someone is going to fly one they should respect property owners rights and privacy. I would no more want a person looking in my house, than their drone at my window.
    al
    Thanks for your input here Al.
    I totally agree with you, about drones being a useful tool in monitoring wildlife, and aiding fire and rescue, and even the military as such, and i too would not like someone flying their drone over my yard or pointing it at one of my windows....i certainly would be one to take action, but do not wish to elaborate on how on here. There are very strict laws here in Australia about where you can and cannot fly drones for safety and privacy reasons, and I'm sure they are similar in many countries around the word, especially in the States. I don't think its much different though than a photographer having a super high zoom lens on their camera, peeking through windows or into people's private spaces, and l'm certain that there have been many photographers that have done this and also broken laws and paid the price. There will always be people who do the wrong thing, and laws to prevent the 'good doers' from doing so.

Like you i appreciate people's privacy. I love nature, and capturing it on film as you do, and also taking snaps on my travels and adventures. This drone i purchased just gives me another perspective (Angle) for capturing pictures and video alike of the things that i love and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I so totally agree with the privacy part. Do NOT fly a drone near my house or there could be trouble.
    Pat
    I totally agree Pat. That would be Trouble with a capital 'T'

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Thanks for your input here Al.
    I totally agree with you, about drones being a useful tool in monitoring wildlife, and aiding fire and rescue, and even the military as such, and i too would not like someone flying their drone over my yard or pointing it at one of my windows....i certainly would be one to take action, but do not wish to elaborate on how on here. There are very strict laws here in Australia about where you can and cannot fly drones for safety and privacy reasons, and I'm sure they are similar in many countries around the word, especially in the States. I don't think its much different though than a photographer having a super high zoom lens on their camera, peeking through windows or into people's private spaces, and l'm certain that there have been many photographers that have done this and also broken laws and paid the price. There will always be people who do the wrong thing, and laws to prevent the 'good doers' from doing so.

Like you i appreciate people's privacy. I love nature, and capturing it on film as you do, and also taking snaps on my travels and adventures. This drone i purchased just gives me another perspective (Angle) for capturing pictures and video alike of the things that i love and enjoy.

I totally agree Pat. That would be Trouble with a capital 'T'
    Hi Joe,
    Long time Mate. I'm definitely not passing judgement on everyone that flies Drones or wants to. I'm sure most people are responsible users. I can understand the allure. I just don't need one/want one for recreation myself, and have alot of reservations about them and their misuse.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi Joe,
    Long time Mate. I'm definitely not passing judgement on everyone that flies Drones or wants to. I'm sure most people are responsible users. I can understand the allure. I just don't need one/want one for recreation myself, and have alot of reservations about them and their misuse.

Al
    Hi Al. It certainly has been awhile. Hope everything is working out for you at your end. I know that you're not passing judgement, and like i said appreciate your input.

Funny thing that happened here involving a drone awhile ago. Some bright spark decided he wanted to buy his friend a sausage from his local Bunnings 'sausage sizzle' store, but didn't go there himself, and this is where his drone came into play. $9000 fine....i don't think he will be doing that again.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...09-gsl3q2.html

Take care.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats one expensive sausage!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul Davis

I love drones. My brother and I had more than 10 drones. We constantly bought newer versions, although we are not particularly rich. Just recently we got interested in DJI phantom 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast