ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Getting Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Will

Default Getting Discus

So I just ordered 6 discus for my 75 gallon, my biggest worry is getting them to eat. Some of my friends had a hard time getting them to eat. The one thing I heard people talk about is not feeding them for a day or two to get them hungry so they'll eat right away. Any other advice?

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Getting Discus

I would just be patient with them. Shipping is stressful. Float them for a few minutes to match the tank temp, open the bag, reach in and grab the discus and drop them in the tank. No other acclimation is required. You may want to turn the lights off for a few hours. If they don't eat right away, just give them some time. If they are healthy, they will eat...

What do you plan to feed them?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willfish03 View Post
    So I just ordered 6 discus for my 75 gallon, my biggest worry is getting them to eat. Some of my friends had a hard time getting them to eat. The one thing I heard people talk about is not feeding them for a day or two to get them hungry so they'll eat right away. Any other advice?
    My new fish have always eaten the same day that I got them. I can only speak for the fish that I get from Kenny but I do know that Kenny faithfully will post photos of him feeding the fish before he ships them. So I know my fish had recently been fed. I too float the new fish but for 30 minutes. Every ten minutes I add to the bag water from the tank they are going to live in.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    My new fish have always eaten the same day that I got them. I can only speak for the fish that I get from Kenny but I do know that Kenny faithfully will post photos of him feeding the fish before he ships them. So I know my fish had recently been fed. I too float the new fish but for 30 minutes. Every ten minutes I add to the bag water from the tank they are going to live in.
    I ordered through my local fish store since I don’t have to deal with shipping, they should come next Thursday, though I can’t wait till Thursday lol

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Will

Oh and I plan on feeding them a variety of things, discus flakes (the ones approved by hans) Vibra bites by hikari, and I’m going to avoid bloodworms because of the bacterial infections that can occur. I also plan on getting metronidazole just in case

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willfish03 View Post
    Oh and I plan on feeding them a variety of things, discus flakes (the ones approved by hans) Vibra bites by hikari, and I’m going to avoid bloodworms because of the bacterial infections that can occur. I also plan on getting metronidazole just in case
    Order some freeze dried blackworms from this forum's host. If they don't eat that, they are sick or stressed.

I'm of the opinion that a variety
    in texture/appearance helps just as much as a variery in ingredients to stimulate their appetites. In nature, discus eat all kinds little critters. So in the tank, give them a variety of textures and appearances of food. Mix it up with flakes, granules, freeze dried, frozen, live (if you have access to clean, high quality live foods), etc. Some floating, some sinking. Some big chunks, some little chunks. I think they appreciate the variety and it helps more finicky eaters find something they like.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Will

Ok sounds good. Ill keep you guys updated on this thread