AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mixing Discus from different sources

Default Re: Mixing Discus from different sources

Most of his strains have the Stendker look but some of these new spotted fish he has are still stamped as Asian to my eye. The only reason it bothers me is that it's all done "under the cover of darkness".
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Back in the late 80s early 90s the Germans were the big discus breeders. Asian were new on the market. Germans were buying the Asian discus than. They’ve had them for 20yrs now. Germans are still experimenting with discus just like the Asian.

But it sure isn't common knowledge is it, Tom?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

So the new stendker strains are probably just strains they've acquired from Asia? Such as the white leopard, checkerboards?

I'm sure that they don't import them to sell. My guess is that they breed them in their facility so that they can honestly offer their offspring as German bred Stendkers. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't be bothered by it if they were up front about it.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

If you breed a fish enough [over and over] you kind of have to own it ?
    I know if you don't mix another line then the fish is true ,but once you introduce something else of yours or have breed from one pair for generations they really can't be called the fish they were ?
    I have ,breed Ed Parker Jet black swordtails . I have never in over 4 years added new blood of another type so they are Ed Parkers 100% .Just last fall I was able to get a few more Ed Parkers so I can keep the strain true and healthy ,but after 6,7 years are my fish really Ed Parkers ? I mean I know the genes are but the raising, breeding, water, tanks and food are me .
    If Stendker gets fish and breeds them for generations 'their style' doesn't that make the fish theirs ? All fish come from somewhere else in their pedigree ?

It would be nice if a lot of breeders and manufacturers spilled the beans and told some truth ,but the fish industry is so completely unregulated as any business ever could be IMO .
    My fish are proprietary !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

If they're bred by the new owner for generation upon generation the breeders puts his stamp on them. They look like his because he selects according to his taste, right? Until the fish they breed don't look like the breeders other fish they still should be called by the name their breeder gave them. As you know Tom, it takes generations to put your own mark on a fish.

What the big breeders do in other countries is kept mostly secret. IMO it is a shame, but I'm used to it. It's been that way for as long as I can remember.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12