AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: They're breeding like flies

Default They're breeding like flies

Not really, but they are breeding quite well. Almost makes me want to concentrate on something other but my recalcitrant Discus.

I know that Bristle Nose are almost too easy but they sure are cute and easy to raise. They are really easy when you have one a zucchini plant that won't quit giving me all I can use myself. It's so much better for them than prepared algae pellets. Mine chow down on it to the point that I fear they are eating too much, but they grow fast and breed soon and often. Thank goodness the LPS buys 25 to 40 from me every few week.

I have a nice group of Dutch rams coming along. Pet store will buy all of them as well. They bought my last batch of blacks and golds and sold them up right away. The Jet Blacks just gave me another large batch. It feels like I waited forever for them to get to free swimming but they're up and about as of this morning, chowing down on BBS.

With my Pearl Gouramis all I need to do is put a male and female in a tank with a think covering of dwarf water lettuce, wait a week and take the pair out. Their kids survive until they're big enough to eat BBS on the microorganisms on the water lettuce roots.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Default Re: They're breeding like flies

at the rate of 25 to 40 or more per month your lfs must be selling a ton of them.

It's a very small LFS. I'm amazed that they sell them at the rate they do. There's a Pet Smart and Pet Sense just down the road close to where the rich people shop. But they wouldn't be buying them if they weren't selling them.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I have two lfs near me, or withing 10 miles. One is larger than a PetSmart and the other has been in business since 1972. Almost 50 years, that is unheard of. That one is also next to the community college which has been there since 1964. An it is across the street from Seattle's hamburger meca "Dick's Drive-in" in business since 1954. If is unusual to visit Dick's and not find a long lines, especially now with the social distancing in effect. Both lfs will take my discus if and when I get one. And the Dicks's may well take the dead ones for Fish-wich. They got good tartar sauce too.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    It's a very small LFS. I'm amazed that they sell them at the rate they do. There's a Pet Smart and Pet Sense just down the road close to where the rich people shop. But they wouldn't be buying them if they weren't selling them.
    I use to sell angelfish and discus to LFS in the Twin Cities. Many of them offer store credit and I only did business with the ones that paid cash. I recall a funny phone call with the fish manager at Petco. I asked if they would be interested in locally raised fish. Her comment was that Petco doesn't buy fish from people.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I use to sell angelfish and discus to LFS in the Twin Cities. Many of them offer store credit and I only did business with the ones that paid cash. I recall a funny phone call with the fish manager at Petco. I asked if they would be interested in locally raised fish. Her comment was that Petco doesn't buy fish from people.
    Jeez, Willie, you could have told her if it would make a difference that you would send over your dog with the fish strapped to his back. Give him the cash and he will bring it back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Haha!! That's too funny Willie! Brings back memories when I was a kid. I remember selling some african cichlids I bred I think they were burtonis and Johannis for .75 cents a piece to lfs and I thought I was living large lol

-Mark

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Liz I love to hear about your relationship with your LFS family...it's very refreshing, and I remember the concern you expressed when the lady was sick recently...what a great outlet for your dearly loved offspring...you got it goin on girl! Good for you
    Last edited by danotaylor; 06-27-2020 at 11:15 PM.

I wish I had outlets here for my fish ... most of the independent stores are gone and none of the chains will buy from hobbyists. Theres a few smaller stores around but they really only want a handful of fish at a time. For me thats not worth the drive, costs more in Gas and time. I've stopped breeding alot of non-Discus mainly because I get over run when I breed something.

I would not mind shipping them but for alot of things its so expensive to ship it just becomes a hassel.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

If only the big box stores knew that they'd get healthy fish from water with a TDS <1000 if they bought from hobbyists...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I wish I had outlets here for my fish ... most of the independent stores are gone and none of the chains will buy from hobbyists. Theres a few smaller stores around but they really only want a handful of fish at a time. For me thats not worth the drive, costs more in Gas and time. I've stopped breeding alot of non-Discus mainly because I get over run when I breed something.

I would not mind shipping them but for alot of things its so expensive to ship it just becomes a hassel.

al
    If you are talking a volume of any kind would it work for you to find a seller, such as Chicago Discus or one of the sponsors that would take the extra. You have nice fish and your reputation is stellar. It's a pity that they cannot be shared with those of us who do buy from the sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    If you are talking a volume of any kind would it work for you to find a seller, such as Chicago Discus or one of the sponsors that would take the extra. You have nice fish and your reputation is stellar. It's a pity that they cannot be shared with those of us who do buy from the sponsors.
    Thank you Norm.Appreciate that compliment greatly! Its not really Discus though that I am referring to but non-discus.

Incidentally, When I do have Discus for sale, I do sell to the forum, actually thats pretty much the main place I sell them..and I ship them. I'm also technically a sponsor in more ways than one !LOL

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images