AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Similar Strains with different names from different breeders

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Default Similar Strains with different names from different breeders

There are some strains with the same name that come from different breeders and/or different countries that differ from each other. And, there appear to be the same strain from different breeders that have different names. Am I missing a uniform way to identify the various strains of Discus?

Thanks.

Registered Member

Default Re: Similar Strains with different names from different breeders

Quote Originally Posted by dornblaser View Post
    There are some strains with the same name that come from different breeders and/or different countries that differ from each other. And, there appear to be the same strain from different breeders that have different names. Am I missing a uniform way to identify the various strains of Discus?

Thanks.
    Carol Roberts who used to be involved with the NADA and who also posted often here at SimplyDiscus tried. www.discusnada.org › discus-classification
    I do not know what happened to her but she is or was on renowned authority on everything that was, is, or will be that which is discus.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Breeders call their discus whatever they want essentially...there are families such as pigeon blood, wilds, wild types, wild crosses, leopards, and so on...basically buy the ones you like the look of...the names mean very little beyond that IMHO

Real Name
    Tom

Yeah names mean nothing! Find what you like color wise and buy. There used to be certain types greens,browns,blue and Heckel. But they’ve mixed so much it’s hard to find any of the originals.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Yeah names mean nothing! Find what you like color wise and buy. There used to be certain types greens,browns,blue and Heckel. But they’ve mixed so much it’s hard to find any of the originals.
    Come to think of it, Tom, one of the breeder/wholesaler told me, Quoting him/her, . "i believe most (breeder) just name the fishes as what they look like in the end, some even don't use the strain name with "cross", they just use the name as it was."