ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus wounds

Registered Member

Default Discus wounds

Hi everyone I have 7 discus in my tank and 3 weeks ago I put in 30 rummynose tetras. After I bought the rummynoses, I felt the discus were a bit nervous and shy but they were alright. My tank has no plants and had an algae problem. So I bought 2 bristlenose plecos and then the fish started getting sick. There were wounds on them and their colour was darkening. I used some paraguard which wasn’t very useful and eSHa hexamita. After using the esha they started to get better but the wounds aren’t fully gone they are still there. What is going on here and what do I need to do?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Discus wounds

Aziz plz fill out the disease questionnaire so that there is a more info available to make determinations from. It's hard to see the wounds you are talking about in the pics you posted, but from the little you shared 2 hypothesis come to mind; the first is cross contamination from introducing either the rummy nose or the plecos...did you quarantine either before putting them in? Secondly, I have heard of plecos trying to feed off the slime coat of discus and injuring them...the wounds don't look very big, so maybe even discus pimples which appear d/t poor water quality & nitrates consistently >10.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Discus wounds

What Dan said .
    Plecos are known to suck on discus and are rarely true algae eaters ,especially bristlenose. I feed mine the very same food my rams and discus eat and they breed like clockwork .
    Secondly with out a QT period for new fish there is no way to you something was not introduced with them that may be effecting the discus .
    The marks on the first picture are very close to the lateral line so I would be thinking HLLE ,which is usually a nutritional issue .
    What are you feeding ?
    To truly control the algae you need to dim the lights and maybe change water more frequently .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?