AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Catching Siamese algae eaters

Default Catching Siamese algae eaters

Is there any way to do it without draining my tank down close to the bottom, removing removable plants and sponges and chasing them around my 125 Rainbow fish tank? I have 6 in there and they have done a job on my black hair algae. I'd rather catch 3 of them and move them to my 100 gallon tank multi species tank where I'm having a problem with it. If there is no easy way I'll just have the LPS get more for me but I'd rather put what I have to good use.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Default Re: Catching Siamese algae eaters

Good luck. Only way I know of is to drain tank and even then it’s tough. I’ve had them hide under the sand

Thanks for your encouragement, Andy. I'll just buy a few more and wait for these to die of old age. Despite their ability to hide they're good fish to have in a planted tank.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

They can be aggressive when they are larger, they are fast and quickly know what a net is. I had 4 in one tank and 3 in another and removing them after they completed their job convinced me never to purchase them again. We would wait until they were in open water and then ambush them from above as we stood away from the tank.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dornblaser View Post
    They can be aggressive when they are larger, they are fast and quickly know what a net is. I had 4 in one tank and 3 in another and removing them after they completed their job convinced me never to purchase them again. We would wait until they were in open water and then ambush them from above as we stood away from the tank.
    The seldom used Blue Heron ploy. Well played, dorblaster.

Real Name
    Mervin

You could try to make a trap out of a plastic pop bottle. Just cut the top part off, reverse it and tape it together making a funnel out of the top. Put food in and wait for them to find the hole. Once in they have a difficult time finding their way back out cause of the funnel shaped entrance. The SAE is the best cleaner you can have.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    You could try to make a trap out of a plastic pop bottle. Just cut the top part off, reverse it and tape it together making a funnel out of the top. Put food in and wait for them to find the hole. Once in they have a difficult time finding their way back out cause of the funnel shaped entrance. The SAE is the best cleaner you can have.
    That worked with my BN but not with these. A guy on my other forum suggested this. I found one for 9 bucks with free delivery on E bay. http://www.aquamoss.net/Articles/Catching-SAE.htm After reading what everyone here has to say about them I won't be buying any more of them. That's for sure.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Larry

Liz:

The only way I could catch mine I had years ago was purchase a net as wide as the tank your trying to catch them in (in my case had one big enough for my Oscar's I had), having someone holding it while I chased one at a time into it, then quickly pinch the net to hold them in. They are a pain to catch.

I'll let everyone know how it goes when I get my "trap" and bait it. I don't think I'll catch any rainbows. They don't much care for either zucchini or algae pellets which is what I'll be trying. I do expect to catch some big fine adult Bristlenose. I have some albinos in there that I wouldn't mind moving to the fish room. I'd be fine with catching some of the younger ones so I can take them to the LPS.
    Mama Bear

Liz,
    The best way I have found is to shut the tank lights at night and use a flashlight.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I've heard that but haven't tried it yet. I'd have never gotten them if I'd known that they'd put me through this. I also understand that they can become aggressive as they get bigger. At least I haven't had that with mine.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Liz,
    The best way I have found is to shut the tank lights at night and use a flashlight.

al
    Yes, that also works for snipes. You learned that trip on a snipe hunt, right Al?