AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Novo Airão Heckel

Registered Member

Default Novo Airão Heckel

Hello everyone.
    Today I picked up 4 wild caught heckels labelled as ‘Novo Airão’ when I try and do a search for this on google not many sources come out. If anyone has any information about this catch locale (from what I understand Novo Airão is a municipality inside Amazonas?) and no an actual river? Correct me if I am wrong. I would also love to see any photos/ videos anyone may have if they have these heckels.
    I have so far noticed one is more red compared to the others but I’m unsure if that is just stress colouration.

They are currently in a 25G quarantine tank and will be receiving daily water changes. They range in size from 4-4.5 inches (including tail) and once they have passed their quarantine I hope to put them in with my group of 5 Rio Tefe that currently range in size from 5-6inches (including tail) if I had to guess.

Please excuse the dark stained water in the video it’s from rooibos to make them feel a little more comfortable.

https://youtu.be/nYgRUjgxD7Q

Default Re: Novo Airão Heckel

Hi,
    Most of the times I see them under that name in conjunction with Blue faced Heckels.. so maybe search for that.. also if you use our Forums search Bar and search "Novo Airão" you will see a few hits there. Enjoy your new Fish, yours look very alert... That tail slapping is a good sign.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Willie

Nice shape on these guys. Please post again in a week so we can see how the fish adjust.

Thanks, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi,
    Most of the times I see them under that name in conjunction with Blue faced Heckels.. so maybe search for that.. also if you use our Forums search Bar and search "Novo Airão" you will see a few hits there. Enjoy your new Fish, yours look very alert... That tail slapping is a good sign.

al
    Thank you for that. I will do a search under the name you mentioned as well as on the forum. I was actually looking for more Tefe greens b it with COVID it will most likely be quite a while before we can get more into Australia. Heckels actually used to be my least favourite of wild discus but when I saw these guys in the store I couldn’t pass them up. I have noticed that Heckels seem to be the only discus that get imported at a smaller size compared to the brown/blue/ green discus

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Nice shape on these guys. Please post again in a week so we can see how the fish adjust.

Thanks, Willie
    Thank you for that! I will do an update on a weeks time. Fingers crossed they do well

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stiker View Post
    Thank you for that. I will do a search under the name you mentioned as well as on the forum. I was actually looking for more Tefe greens b it with COVID it will most likely be quite a while before we can get more into Australia. Heckels actually used to be my least favourite of wild discus but when I saw these guys in the store I couldn’t pass them up. I have noticed that Heckels seem to be the only discus that get imported at a smaller size compared to the brown/blue/ green discus

Thank you for that! I will do an update on a weeks time. Fingers crossed they do well
    All wild discus have the Heckel gene. For example a Red Alenquer will occasionally spawn a few fry with Heckle bars. If that occurs then that fish becomes an Ica Red.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    All wild discus have the Heckel gene. For example a Red Alenquer will occasionally spawn a few fry with Heckle bars. If that occurs then that fish becomes an Ica Red.
    That is interesting. Would it still be the case with the green discus? As from what I have read they do not overlap in any locale in the wild

Registered Member

Little update, please excuse the glare in the video these guys are still quite shy.

https://youtu.be/qs9Wm44wH28

Their ph is kept at around 6.2-6.4 (tester wth the Hanna instruments HI98128)
    They are feeding on freeze dried blackworms and frozen black mosquito larvae (have only tried this frozen food so far)
    They are getting quite aggressive with each other, not sure if their still faking a hierarchy or if it’s territorial? (like mentioned they are currently in quarentine in a 1.5x1.5x1.5ft 25G)

I have noticed that one of the larger twosomes have a kind of notch (best way I can describe it, I have included the best image I was able to take) is this a deformity? Or as the discus gets larger will the head ring out like a normal discus shape?
    3EF261BC-03BA-41C4-A0F8-415A176DEBE1.jpg
    5DD4D39C-46D8-47FB-B120-3D486323FD8F.jpg

Registered Member

So pretty sad night. Ended up losing the largest heckel in the group.

Not sure what happened. The fish was acting normal and eating 100% fine then after water change the fish got strange patches on its body and began moving around the tank pretty listless before laying on the bottom and dying.

I honestly have no idea what could of happened. All 3 other heckels are doing fine and acting normal. These heckels were acclimated to a ph of 6.5-7 over many months and yes, I plan to keep them lower but I didn’t want to put them in such different ph considering they were still new, stressed and settling in.

I do age, a irate and heat my water for 24 hours before all water changes so I’m somewhat ruling out gas bubble disease.

In terms of water parameters;
    Before water change aquarium:
    Ph - 6.7
    Temp - 31 degrees Celsius, 87 degrees Fahrenheit (was trying to get them feeding as they were new and know all are feeding)

After water change aquarium:
    Ph - 6.9
    Ammonia : <0.05 (jbl test kit that also measures ammonium)
    Nitrite : 0 (or lowest value on job test kit)
    Nitrate: between 0.5 and 1
    Kh - 1
    Gh- 3
    Temperature: 29 degrees Celsius, 84 degrees Fahrenheit

Tap water:
    Ph - 7.02
    Kh - 1
    Gh - 3

Aging water barrel (after 24 hours aging):
    Ph - 7.01
    Kh - 1
    Gh - 3

The other three heckels are doing completely fine as I said, it is just this 1 heckel. I am completely lost for ideas. Directly after the water change it was very light coloured and the patches were dark, then before dying it went dark coloured and the patches were light. I have included a photo of the fish directly after removing it from the quarantine tank.
    This tank receives 50% water changes every day using aged water, I have been doing the same for the whole time I have had them.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas that anyone has as right now I have no idea what has happened and I am scared to do more water changes as I am worried the two are linked.

A704A812-6777-4B28-9756-3F54609FBD19.jpg
    AFDC7E66-7EBC-44F8-B950-74DA4F22C034.jpg

Real Name
    Shan

Sorry for your loss mate.

I can't give the best advice besides bits and pieces but something that for sure stands out to me is the KH of 1. My low KH caused issues for sure. Carbonate hardness resulted in fluctuations with my PH. I don't know if your PH moves enough to be considered fluctuating, but that's something to consider.

Also, you are getting ammonia readings right after the water change? How about 12h after?
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shan_Evolved View Post
    Sorry for your loss mate.

I can't give the best advice besides bits and pieces but something that for sure stands out to me is the KH of 1. My low KH caused issues for sure. Carbonate hardness resulted in fluctuations with my PH. I don't know if your PH moves enough to be considered fluctuating, but that's something to consider.

Also, you are getting ammonia readings right after the water change? How about 12h after?
    Thanks for the response Shan!
    After 24 hours (just before my water change the following day my ph had gone down by .17 from 6.83 on 8th to 6.66 on the 9th. It never seems to change more then that after 24 hours of a water change.

The jbl test kit measures ammonium so the lowest it read is <0.05. No ammonia right after water changes