ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to the forum but not new to discus

Registered Member

Default Re: New to the forum but not new to discus

Opie, I was thinking that the 55 gallon would be a good start. Bare, with your sand, and wood. A simple filter hanging on the back of the tank. Temp at around 84 degrees and water change with tap water and Prime would make life easy and the fish are forgiving on this approach. Next buy 5 4 inch fish from a forum sponsor. Supply good food in variety. Freeze dry black worms, flakes or pellets work well for Discus. Forget the lfs fish because the forum sponsors have reputation and their prices with shipping are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Opie984 View Post
    I was thinking RO because of volume. Hauling enough buckets for water changes on that size tank is not an exciting prospect Barrels are also daunting. I'll either have to figure a pump system to move the water from the barrel to the tank or still be hauling water in buckets from the barrels to the tank.
    I've got a couple brute garbage can from Lowe's along with some plastic tubing. Just pump the water from the garbage cans right into your aquarium. I use the same pumps to aerate the water overnight.

-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by above design View Post
    I've got a couple brute garbage can from Lowe's along with some plastic tubing. Just pump the water from the garbage cans right into your aquarium. I use the same pumps to aerate the water overnight.

-Mark
    And doing that stabilizes the pH which is very important. Nobody who keeps Discus uses buckets and few have stable pH straight from the tap.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Lol I beg to differ I do use buckets and water change from the tap . For the closer tank I go direct from the tap through a under counter filter into the tank. But yes I do live on Long Island .

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Thanks, Mervin. I will get the TDS machine next week from Amazon and I notice that there is a temp button on it. So I will find out what the TDS and the temperature of the water in my tanks are all in one fell swoop. I had been using my finger to gauge the temp so far. If it feels warm enough it must be warm enough for the fish. The forum is bringing me out of the dark ages of fish keeping. Then, Mervin, when I get the TDS number I will come back to you and find out what it means.
    It measures the electrical conductivity in a solution (salts and minerals). It is very low in the Amazon where wild discus live.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12