AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Rapid decline in discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Default Rapid decline in discus

I've been out of town and someone else has been taking care of tank for me so they did not notice this issue and I may have missed some myself. Fire red developed a white spot above the eye that fell out leaving a hole and now white dot is reforming, gills are also inflamed. Still eating and not breathing heavily . I have another one, Checkerboard that is losing weight and has tail rot on back fin, will only eat sparingly. I obviously thought hole in the head, but I have never seen it personally and it does not look the same as what I see online. I'm not sure what to do here beside a massive water change. I have 6 total in 180 gallon tank and I expect I will lose these two, but don't want to lose the others, picture attached.

IMG_20200703_105154 (2).jpg

Registered Member

Default Re: Rapid decline in discus

Tim, the eye fell out or the white spot fell out? I think that those white bumps are more than just one thing. One of my fish developed two white bumps on its forehead last week. I added salt and did a water change. The fish scratched for a day then within another day the white bumps were gone. I do not see holes but the treatment for that situation was simple.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Tim, the eye fell out or the white spot fell out? I think that those white bumps are more than just one thing. One of my fish developed two white bumps on its forehead last week. I added salt and did a water change. The fish scratched for a day then within another day the white bumps were gone. I do not see holes but the treatment for that situation was simple.
    The eye is fine, that white spot fell out then reformed, before the white came back, the hole is probably 2mm deep

Registered Member

HITH, starts off looking like a whitehead pimple, later stage are white pus, last stage can leave pin holes or small craters. Recurrence if not treated. Treatment with metro, since
    this is an internal disease with external signs.

Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    HITH, starts off looking like a whitehead pimple, later stage are white pus, last stage can leave pin holes or small craters. Recurrence if not treated. Treatment with metro, since
    this is an internal disease with external signs.

Cliff
    Can I treat whole tank, or does he need quarantine. Any idea what is causing the fin rot on other fish or can the same disease cause that issue ?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by reaper7534 View Post
    Can I treat whole tank, or does he need quarantine. Any idea what is causing the fin rot on other fish or can the same disease cause that issue ?
    Yes medicate the whole tank, make larger water changes and add salt for the fin rot.

Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Yes medicate the whole tank, make larger water changes and add salt for the fin rot.

Cliff
    Just did about 75 percent water change and dosed API General Cure, will dose again in two days then change water two days later. How much salt do I want to dose for 200 gallon water volume ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

See conflicting information on the web, box says 2 doses and others say multiple does. Which is correct ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Apparently absolutely no one has the boxes of General Cure, online or locally. I just ordered the big bottle from Kensfish, but won't arrive until Tuesday or Wednesday. The sick fish are still eating, but not like they normally do. I'll probably change water again tomorrow then right before I dose again. Should I dose every day or every other and how often to change water. I know discus need to be dosed differently than what the box says and am I safe to dose salt at the same time and General Cure and possibly Melafix.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Still doing dosage every 48 hours of General cure along with water changes. Unfortunately and this is the first time I had to do this, I euthanized the Anastasia, the checkerboard. She had lost so much weight, nose always pointed down, heavy breathing. Every morning or when I got home from work I expected her to be gone, but this one was such a fighter.. Extremely weak, would get caught on the overflow then would get herself off. She swam pretty hard to get away from me, but I knew this was just a fright flight action. Used the clove oil technique and they say this normally takes 10 minutes to put the fish under, but within 2 minutes she was unconscious. I proceeded to overdose and was gone within 10 minutes.

I literally felt like I was putting my dog to sleep, didn't think I'd take it so hard. Just crazy.

Real Name
    Frank

Sorry to read that Tim.

Real Name
    Francis

Dose Metronidazole 500 mg per 10 gallons.....use pure metronidazole iso API General Cure.

Quote Originally Posted by reaper7534 View Post
    See conflicting information on the web, box says 2 doses and others say multiple does. Which is correct ?
    Grasshopper
    Francis