AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What strain of discus are these?????????????????????????? Or what could they be......

Default What strain of discus are these?????????????????????????? Or what could they be......

I purchased these about 6 months ago as a strain I don't want to mention at the moment. Hopefully I haven't been hosed, they just don't look like what I was expecting at this time in their development. I bought them at 2.5" to 3", they are now between 4.5 to 5" from smallest to largest. I just need some ones opinions other than what I have found on the web. My opinion is they look like Red Pandas to me JMO...................Jim in Ohio
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: What strain of discus are these?????????????????????????? Or what could they be..

Not sure what they are but they are good looking discus. One in last pic looks great!! What are they supposed to be? What do you think they are?

Default Re: What strain of discus are these?????????????????????????? Or what could they be..

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Not sure what they are but they are good looking discus. One in last pic looks great!! What are they supposed to be? What do you think they are?
    I don't want to say just yet, I'd like some one that knows discus strains to come out and tell me, I like to think maybe I'm right or maybe I don't think I know this discus strain at all.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

Yes, I would agree that they're red pandas or red marlboros. They could fit in the broad range known as pigeon bloods. It's a generic term for red white mottled discus. Anyways, good job growing them out from juvies. I haven't been able to do so myself.

Real Name
    Tom

I think color variation names are all over the board ?
    I have seen discus like picture 2 &3 called red panda or checkerboards .
    The first picture and last picture could be rafflesia or maybe the last is a fine line red panda .
    It really depends on who you get them from what the color variants are called ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    I think color variation names are all over the board ?
    I have seen discus like picture 2 &3 called red panda or checkerboards .
    The first picture and last picture could be rafflesia or maybe the last is a fine line red panda .
    It really depends on who you get them from what the color variants are called ..
    Well I e-mailed the seller and he quoted me that the fish I purchased definitely came from parents of what I thought I was buying. Out of the six fish I purchased only one has any hope of what I really wanted, so here's the one that is closest to what I thought I was buying now can you guess what I thought i was buying. Jim in Ohio

These are the ones I picked out from 10 pictured, so I guess all fault lies with me on this one. The person I purchased them from also said that they have the genes in them that I'm looking for. Jim in Ohio

Registered Member

Jimmy Joe Jeeter from Mary Hartman? I like the creamy like coloring of these fish. This is what you were expecting.
    Last edited by peewee1; 07-04-2020 at 06:17 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Well don’t get me wrong your orange ones are really nice looking and do seem bigger than the ones you thought you were getting. But they are no where near what you were hoping for. I guess it’s hard for them to know What there selling at 2 1/2”. Hey it’s happened t me. Here’s my pigeon blood silver CB4902D7-7DB6-4053-8273-CB4FF2EFAF22.jpg kinda looks like a dark angel. Maybe someone took from the wrong tank. And my red snakeskin1BEC5EA2-D6CE-4EB1-A4E7-AFA1580CD5E6.jpg looks very orange. But hey I still like them. I enjoy growing them. I was told this time to get bigger if I wanted for sure colors. But I bought from another seller 5.5” discus and yes they held there color but just didn’t get much bigger. So for me I’ll get smaller and take my chances .

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

So what strain name were the parents Jim? I remember lots of variations in Al's FLSS fry... turks, BSS, RSS.. all super nice shape like his pair.
    I really like what you ended up with but I'm sorry you didn't get what you were hoping for...I'm in Ohio...maybe when I'm ready you want to sell them??
    Peace mate. Danny

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    So what strain name were the parents Jim? I remember lots of variations in Al's FLSS fry... turks, BSS, RSS.. all super nice shape like his pair.
    I really like what you ended up with but I'm sorry you didn't get what you were hoping for...I'm in Ohio...maybe when I'm ready you want to sell them??
    Peace mate. Danny
    Well, they were labeled as Golden Leopards and they looked really promising but just like they say better to buy adults cause then your sure to get what you paid for. I'm happy at the moment with them Danny but you never know I'll keep you in mind. Jim in Ohio

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Sounds good Jim! It's another good example of the gene pool that is traversed to arrive at a desired outcome. I wonder what % of the fry from a particular strain type that breeders breed are actually the same as the parents?? Discus genetics are a sight to behold!

Sounds good Jim! It's another good example of the gene pool that is traversed to arrive at a desired outcome. I wonder what % of the fry from a particular strain type that breeders breed are actually the same as the parents?? Discus genetics are a sight to behold!
    Danny, I would really hope that some true breeder can shed some light on here once again about the genetics involved with breeding a true strain. I know I could look in the archives for this but I feel a new perspective would be great, especially with all the wanna-be breeders in the hobby now. Jim in Ohio

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjoe View Post
    Danny, I would really hope that some true breeder can shed some light on here once again about the genetics involved with breeding a true strain. I know I could look in the archives for this but I feel a new perspective would be great, especially with all the wanna-be breeders in the hobby now. Jim in Ohio
    You may not find any true stains anymore. Almost all cultivated discus are genetically mixed.

Registered Member

Would not the percent achieved be dictated by the two fish that were bred?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast