ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild spawning

Registered Member

Default Wild spawning

I will start a thread and see how far it travels. The male is a Red Alenquer bought from Kenny last October. The female is an Ica Red received from Kenny 18 days ago. An Ica Red is an Alenquer with Heckel bars. First spawn with eggs was this evening. Because it is time for bed I left the pair still laying with the blue night light on overhead. The morning will tell if we still have eggs or not. I purposely brought this pair together because I wanted a wild type match and because the Red Alenquer has developed extremely long dorsal and anal fins. A ginger coloring with only several short blue striations on the head area. The Ica Red, there are photos of them on Kenny's June posts. Because I have a tank full of males, female less, I asked Kenny to send to me a beautiful lady for by boys. He obliged. So now I know that I do have a female, evidenced by the eggs I see on the pot. The male had not shown any stress bars until he began pecking and cleaning yesterday. Since he has shown the two Heckle like bars to match the female but only lighter.

At the same time I have another suspected pair who began cleaning a cone so maybe I will get a second spawn tomorrow but I wonder what triggered this in both pairs at the same time? I am hearing fireworks so maybe the fish heard them too and got excited about it. Do any of you who have multiple pairs do this? This other pair I got from Kenny as well. The female is an Albino Millennium Gold and the male is a Blue Scorpion. Both are a year older than the Alenquers. Those two are living in a community tank and spend most of their time chasing other fish away from the cone. As a result they gon't get any time to lay eggs, just clean and chase. I will keep you all posted. I do not expect to see those eggs come morning but this is a start anyway.
    Last edited by peewee1; 07-04-2020 at 03:16 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re: Wild spawning

After 24 hours from spawning the pair are taking turns tending to their eggs. There were two white eggs but now gone. A 20% water change. There appears to be around 60 eggs.

Real Name
    Gerald Mann

Pictures please!

Registered Member

There are photos of the fish themselves without the eggs but I gave up trying to up load, or down load, or post them. But the good news is the eggs are still there after 30 hours. I added MG to the tank at 30 hours. I am happy with this result because I had selected this pair from the community tank as one that I would like to breed. The female I received from Kenny mid June and I placed them in a 20 gallon breeding tank 2 weeks ago. The ph was 7.6 range and KH between 50 and 75 range.

Real Name
    Willie

Exciting!
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Exciting!
    You would know better then me, Willie, I have be trying to not get near to the tank for fear of making them nervous enough to eat those eggs. So far I have done a water change, cleaned the filter, feed them, kept the lights off but at night turned on the blue overhead so they would not be in the total dark. I place a screen to block the pair from seeing the fish in the community tank that is next to it. It makes me nervous to think that I might make the pair nervous. I put MG into the tank for two reasons. One fungus but the other because the female is scratching on the heater a lot.

Real Name
    Frank

Exciting!!!
    Just resize your photos to be under 1 meg (mine are around 500k), then upload them. They should be rotated rightly and show.

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    There are photos of the fish themselves without the eggs but I gave up trying to up load, or down load, or post them. But the good news is the eggs are still there after 30 hours. I added MG to the tank at 30 hours. I am happy with this result because I had selected this pair from the community tank as one that I would like to breed. The female I received from Kenny mid June and I placed them in a 20 gallon breeding tank 2 weeks ago. The ph was 7.6 range and KH between 50 and 75 range.

Registered Member

An update. After 48 hours the eggs are still in place although the parents do not spend all of their time tending to them. Only two more turned white so by now I suspect they are fertile. I have kept this pair in an unlighted tank throughout the day with only natural light. A 25% water change today with tap water and Prime added which is usual for all of my fish, changed the filter, and added the correct dose of MG for the second day. These two discus act somewhat like parent birds. They leave the nest, forage for food, scrap with one another and then one or the other will come back to tend to the eggs for a spell. As I said this is their first spawn and I have had them paired for only two weeks so I am expecting anything at this point.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Cool Norm...I hope things progress and they catch the good parent bug...watching

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Norm, wishing your good luck here also. I would not think you would need to tip-toe around these fish since they are domestics.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Norm, wishing your good luck here also. I would not think you would need to tip-toe around these fish since they are domestics.
    Pat
    Thanks, Barb. I got a slight hint of that from Willie and Liz when they mentioned water changes. I was not sure how careful I needed to be. I do have the tank filtering with an outside filter. I had read to place a sponge over the intake tube in order to keep the fry from getting sucked up. I should do that this afternoon as the eggs will be at around 70 hours by this evening. Or I could turn the filter off and continue with the 25% daily water changes.

Real Name
    Larry

After 24 hours from spawning the pair are taking turns tending to their eggs. There were two white eggs but now gone. A 20% water change. There appears to be around 60 eggs.
    Cool am following this post, seems they maybe on their way. It's always exciting to follow other people spawning post to see how they do things. Wishing you the best of luck.

Registered Member

Update. Some where between hour 55 and hour 65 the eggs hatched. I now have wigglers. I do have a confirmed pair, first step. There are 7 or 8 white eggs that the pair has not attended to and they are both still only occasionally tending to the hatch. I turned off the filter in case some of the wigglers break loose from the pot. I may either put a sponge on the filter intake or I may go to the lfs and get one of those in tank sponge filters. This is Monday so four days to free swimming would put it about about noon Friday, I suspect. I best get to the lfs to get the bbs. I am really happy about this. As I said before I got the male from Kenny a year ago and the female three weeks ago. First spawn first time and did so far did the parents not eat anything. Here's to hoping!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

That's great Norm! Watching your progress

Real Name
    Frank

Very, very, exciting Norm.
    I had the same question with mine concerning sponge on the filter intake or go with a sponge filter. I used multiple sponge filters in my 75g.
    Hoping attachment goes well in about 3-4 days.

Update. Some where between hour 55 and hour 65 the eggs hatched. I now have wigglers. I do have a confirmed pair, first step. There are 7 or 8 white eggs that the pair has not attended to and they are both still only occasionally tending to the hatch. I turned off the filter in case some of the wigglers break loose from the pot. I may either put a sponge on the filter intake or I may go to the lfs and get one of those in tank sponge filters. This is Monday so four days to free swimming would put it about about noon Friday, I suspect. I best get to the lfs to get the bbs. I am really happy about this. As I said before I got the male from Kenny a year ago and the female three weeks ago. First spawn first time and did so far did the parents not eat anything. Here's to hoping!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast