ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Small white spots on fin only

Registered Member

Default Small white spots on fin only

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Some Fish seem to have small white spots on their fins only. These white spots do not appear to fall off and appear in news places, justly stay where they are. Although my tank is cycled before adding discus I am thinking the increased bio load is a bit too much as I am getting an elevated ammonia reading. I have read ammonia could cause this type of spot, is that true?

To help this I am using prime and stability and daily water changes.

Fish eat well and all seem healthy otherwise.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

White spots on fin only that does not fall off and reappear somewhere else. Never seen any spots on the body’s at all.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

I have just kept with daily water changes and a little salt at the moment, reluctant to add any meds if they are not necessarily needed.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

300 Lt tank, 6 x 4” discus and I have had them for about a month now.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

50% daily with Prime added.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

3 months with white sand substrate. Max 1 inch but mostly 1/2 inch

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I age my water for 24 hours and no ph swing

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

Prime into tank and dosage as directed

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp ___86__

- ph ___8__

- ammonia reading ___0.2_

- nitrite reading ___0.1_

- nitrate reading ___10_

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

100% tap

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

A mix sold to me from breeder consisting of 7 options. pellets, granules, flakes etc.

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Thanks
    Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Small white spots on fin only

Hey Andy those look like discus pimples. Mine get them too. It is usually about water quality. How often do you change water? Nice looking fish!

Registered Member

Thanks for your reply, I do daily 50% water changes but I think you are right as with the increased bioload I think my tank is trying to produce more bacteria to keep up with it now and my ammonia is creeping slightly above 0. I am using prime and stability to counteract this, so I am hoping it will all even out back to normal soon.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I agree with Tom's assessment. It does appear your filter is not fully converting the bioload. I would suggest adding 3-5tbsp/10 gal salt as this will de-stress your discus, reduce bacterial counts which can contribute to the pimples, and help neutralize nitrite poisoning.

Real Name
    Tom

Good looking fish .
    Clean water will fix them up in no time .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?