AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lone Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Will

Default Lone Discus

Today I went to my LFS for the first time in three months and they had one lone melon red discus. I talked to the guy there and said they’ve had him through the whole shutdown, and all his other friends were sold right before the shut down. So I made an impulsive decision and decided to take him in. I know that discus should be kept in groups but I couldn’t see him kept in that store alone like that. What do you guys think I should do to make him most happy, right now he’s in my 30 gallon tank with a few other tetras. What do you guys think I should do moving forward with this fish?

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Lone Discus

Got any pictures?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willfish03 View Post
    Today I went to my LFS for the first time in three months and they had one lone melon red discus. I talked to the guy there and said they’ve had him through the whole shutdown, and all his other friends were sold right before the shut down. So I made an impulsive decision and decided to take him in. I know that discus should be kept in groups but I couldn’t see him kept in that store alone like that. What do you guys think I should do to make him most happy, right now he’s in my 30 gallon tank with a few other tetras. What do you guys think I should do moving forward with this fish?
    If I were you and if I could afford it I would get maybe 2 more at least of about the same size. when the new two arrive put them all into a quarantine tank. Forum sponsors have inventory for quick shipment or you can wait until tomorrow to see what Kenny has to offer this month. After he quarantines those fish he will quick ship your order and you would have them by mid month.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Will

I’m planning on ordering ASAP, but since I’m too young to get a job I’m gonna have to do some chores and stuff for a few weeks. I will get pictures soon, I’m keeping the lights off for now to reduce some of the stress. As of right now my water parameters are 7.0 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, and 83 degrees Fahrenheit.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willfish03 View Post
    I’m planning on ordering ASAP, but since I’m too young to get a job I’m gonna have to do some chores and stuff for a few weeks. I will get pictures soon, I’m keeping the lights off for now to reduce some of the stress. As of right now my water parameters are 7.0 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, and 83 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Which part of the world are you living? The one discus will be okay for a while Discus are a schooling fish and territorial. One fish would be okay because it has no territory to defend from other discus. And a fish does not know the concept of loneliness. When you get some cash then get a few more.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Will

The discus is doing well and is still getting used to his new home, I've treated the tank with metro once a day for the past 2 days (250mg). and the water levels have stayed pretty steady. Its not letting me upload a picture though.

The dose we suggest for Discus is 500 mg per 10 gallons daily for 12 days. Is the fish eating?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Will

Yes the fish is eating, I will up the dosage tomorrow for the metro.

What symptoms of hex are you seeing?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Will

Im not seeing any symptoms of hex, but I talked to a few people and they recommended I treat the tank just to be safe since they can develop it from stress

OK. It won't hurt the fish. It's the most gentle med there is. There are two other things that we do when cleaning up a fish. They are harsher meds and you need to be careful to not over dose. One is for external parasites, the other is for worms. I sure wish I could see a pic of this fish.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    OK. It won't hurt the fish. It's the most gentle med there is. There are two other things that we do when cleaning up a fish. They are harsher meds and you need to be careful to not over dose. One is for external parasites, the other is for worms. I sure wish I could see a pic of this fish.
    I’ll try to figure it out when I get home, it says the picture is invalid when I try to upload.I could try to make it my profile picture so you guys can see it.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Images have to be <2MB. Resize or change your camera setting to lowest megapixels, or email image to yourself and it should auto-resize and load to site

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Will

Here is the best photo I can take right now since I am keeping lights off to reduce stress 61582679059__1BAA9702-A442-47D0-9F39-0DAE89B98FB9.jpg

I can't get it to not post sideways sorry

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Will

Also he hasn't really been eating he goes near the food but doesn't touch it, right now I'm feeding the cobalt discus Hans flakes, but I also have some Vibra bites on hand, and a few other foods. Any thing I should doo to help him eat?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast