ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Voltage bleed

Registered Member

Default Voltage bleed

Tested the water today when I got a tingle from a cut. I run 2- 2217 eheim filters and 2-300w heaters in my tank. The filters each bleed approx 8 volts and the heaters bleed approx 15 volts. This isn’t normal right? The filters I get, they’re 20 yrs old but for the heaters 1 is 2 months old and the other is 3 yrs old. Any fixes or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: Voltage bleed

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick4802 View Post
    Tested the water today when I got a tingle from a cut. I run 2- 2217 eheim filters and 2-300w heaters in my tank. The filters each bleed approx 8 volts and the heaters bleed approx 15 volts. This isn’t normal right? The filters I get, they’re 20 yrs old but for the heaters 1 is 2 months old and the other is 3 yrs old. Any fixes or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Is there any moisture in the heater?
    When ever I have had a heater like that I just replaced.... sooner or latter it will fail or you will get a shock.
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Thanks Al. The heaters look dry in the inside but there has to be water getting in somewhere to get the voltage in the water. I’ve been through a couple eheim heaters and 1 hydor. Any good recommendations for a 125 gallon tank?

Real Name
    Frank

I am not Al but I use these and am extremely pleased.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/titan...ef-supply.html

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    I am not Al but I use these and am extremely pleased.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/titan...ef-supply.html
    Haven't tried those yet Frank, but the reviews look good, Might give them a try down the road.

Patrick, I have a many kinds here and all of them pretty much fail sooner or latter. I find my best success is the eheims...but even they aren't as good as they used to be. I usually keep several heaters on hand and just replace whats needed. You do seem to get better mileage if you use 2 heaters vs one.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Thanks al. I appreciate the help.

Real Name
    Tom

Do you ground your tank? I have a ground probe in the tank that does to the ground on your outlet. This removes any voltage in your tank

Registered Member

I do not. But If all of the devices are working as they should there should be minimal voltage in the tank.

Real Name
    Tom

True but sometimes something does bleed electric into the tank. If you feel so must the fish. So the probe removes that voltage. No more problems. Also your tanks should be on a gfi breaker.

Real Name
    Tom

I don't think the fish feel it ?
    They are not grounded like us with our feet on the ground. They are in a glass tank ,basically insulated ...
    I have been shocked more then once .It was always the heater .
    I wear shoes in the fish room without exception now ..
    I have grounding probes but I would not count on them with real leaks .Maybe stray voltage but when a heater fails I would not expect the probe to save me .
    Most keep their tanks on GFCI but sometimes trouble occurs when they shut down your whole tank and you don't find out ill later ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    I don't think the fish feel it ?
    They are not grounded like us with our feet on the ground. They are in a glass tank ,basically insulated ...
    I have been shocked more then once .It was always the heater .
    I wear shoes in the fish room without exception now ..
    I have grounding probes but I would not count on them with real leaks .Maybe stray voltage but when a heater fails I would not expect the probe to save me .
    Most keep their tanks on GFCI but sometimes trouble occurs when they shut down your whole tank and you don't find out ill later ..
    I agree! and I have had a few cases where my arm went numb ..lol... Not fun!!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tom

When I first set up my 125 with all new equipment I would get a small shock similar to a static electric. Added the ground and never got it again. Allways wear sneakers and it happened every time I touched the water. Can’t say for sure but it did seem like the fish calmed down after I added it. Not a fish but I would think stray electric would bother them.

Registered Member

Never had this issue with FW but big issue with SW and most reefers pay strict attention to this. Perhaps the anions and cations of SW exacerbate things. Culprit is usually the heater. Haver always used ground probe in all my tanks. If youve been in this hobby long enough you've likely gotten your share of huge jolts. I'm not sure if they feel it or not but perhaps this may be the cause of otherwise healthy fish getting sick without antibiotics or water changes helping. Just some thoughts but no scientific proof whatsoever.

Registered Member

Jumping back into this. I installed a gcfi that I had been putting off and ordered 2 new heaters. Replaced the heaters and the new ones are still bleeding the same voltage in the water. Is it possible that I received 2 bad new eheims? Unless I have a fresh cut I don’t feel the electricity and the gcfi doesn’t trip
    Thanks

Registered Member

Its called stray voltage all of the electrical equipment in your tank produces it. I don't believe you can get rid of it by replacing your equipment I had 22 volts at one time. As far as I know it happens with all electric circuits. Weather stray voltage hurts fish I do not know what I do know is my Discus seemed to be calmer when I added a ground. Here's what i used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._s00?ie=UTF8&p

If your tank is shocking you it is more than stray voltage and should immediately find the source. If you have a gfi and it trips when you touch the water in your tank you better find out why.