ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Does Metronidazole cause Discus to excrete too much slime?

Question Does Metronidazole cause Discus to excrete too much slime?

A general question came to my head when I saw my discus excreting too much slime from their body when I dosed metro in the tank. I also increased temp. as in general. I am kind of new to discus keeping. Is this a matter of concern or is it just fine?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Does Metronidazole cause Discus to excrete too much slime?

I have used metro on discus and never noticed any increase in slime coat production. What brand/dose of metro are you using? What condition are you treating? What did you raise the temp too?

Danotaylor I use 400 mg of metronidazole bought from pharmacy or drug store. I put total of 4 grams into the 75 gallon tank (at 1 gm for 20 gal.) I am treating the whole tank since 3 discus have white poop and getting thin. 1 died few weeks ago from thinning out. Now, 1 discus out of those 3 discus is extremely sick. He is not eating, hiding and breathing fast. I used metro for 2 days now he is coming out and showing interest in food but not eating yet. I am planning for 10 days treatment. They are excreting slime on the 2nd day. I raised the temp. to 32°C/ 90°F.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi OrangeC, when you say excreting slime are they pooping slimy looking poop or shedding their slime coat. If they are shedding their slime coat ease the temp back down to 82 or so.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Hey Pat, I meant shedding of slime coat. Should I lower it to 82? I heard at 86 they are more worked up to fight disease and as temp. lowers they become weak. Im not sure. I have to wait many weeks to get from 90 to 82 since sudden temp change can stress the discus. Metro treatment would be over by then. What should I do? Should I go for it?

One update: The weakest fish has came out of hiding and has joined other fishes but still not eating.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeG View Post
    A general question came to my head when I saw my discus excreting too much slime from their body when I dosed metro in the tank. I also increased temp. as in general. I am kind of new to discus keeping. Is this a matter of concern or is it just fine?
    Hi ,
    Was this after a large water change? and do you age your water or go straight from the tap?

Metro will not cause the slime coat to shed, but dissolved gases in the water will.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Sometimes it can take weeks to return to normal. This has happened to me and was the advice of one of our sponsors. I had a RRR take almost 6 weeks to recover

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi ,
    Was this after a large water change? and do you age your water or go straight from the tap?

Metro will not cause the slime coat to shed, but dissolved gases in the water will.

hth,
    al
    Oh I didn't know that. I change 50% water twice a week. I use Seachem Safe to dechlorinate. My water is hard and my discus don't look that happy after a water change. So I have decided to lower it down to 20-30%.

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    Sometimes it can take weeks to return to normal. This has happened to me and was the advice of one of our sponsors. I had a RRR take almost 6 weeks to recover
    Great!

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeG View Post
    Oh I didn't know that. I change 50% water twice a week. I use Seachem Safe to dechlorinate. My water is hard and my discus don't look that happy after a water change. So I have decided to lower it down to 20-30%.
    Not to confuse you here.. its not that the large water changes are bad.. 50% is fine. Its just that large water changes can be a problem under certain conditions... such as tap water with lots of dissolved gas. MANY heredo large water changes but age and aerate in a separate container first. Large water changes are great for discus.. but it needs to be stable water or its a stressor and can lead to slime coat peeling off in sheets from the dissolved gases that get under it.

Hth,
    AL
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Not to confuse you here.. its not that the large water changes are bad.. 50% is fine. Its just that large water changes can be a problem under certain conditions... such as tap water with lots of dissolved gas. MANY heredo large water changes but age and aerate in a separate container first. Large water changes are great for discus.. but it needs to be stable water or its a stressor and can lead to slime coat peeling off in sheets from the dissolved gases that get under it.

Hth,
    AL
    Oh Ok I'll try doing what you said