ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makko's first Discus tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Lee

Default Makko's first Discus tank

I have had a reef tank for years. I have decided to ditch saltwater and try my hand at freshwater discus.
    I was actually going give up my tank, but my wife really likes it and agreed to help with water changes if I keep it.
    I plan to make water changes as easy as possible as that seems to be a main issue with discus.

Here is my tank I just added driftwood. Had to use rocks to hold it down. I soaked it for 2 weeks already, it still floats a little
    I put white abs on the bottom. I don't like bare bottom look, so I'm hoping this works. If it gets ugly I may put a thin layer of white sand.
    I spent a couple weeks taking everything apart, cleaning, and redoing for freshwater ( mostly ditching stuff )
    The glass has more scratches that I thought and a lot of etching from saltwater. I tried to polished it out but failed. :-(

Here is my sump. Pretty empty so far compared to when I had a reef tank. less stuff to mess with is nice.
    I left hookups for an Algea Turf Scrubber and UV filter. I don't have them in yet / if ever.

I also added a 55 gallon aging barrel to my fish junk closet. I have a heater ( laying flat thanks willie ), air pump, and water pump for tank.
    I have a cheesy little WiFi power strip to run from my phone. I hooked the tank line back to drum in case it decides to pump by accident.
    I have a line I run to a nearby sink for refills. Wish I could get a real water line to the closet.
    The first time the float valve closed my sink line poped off lol. Tie Wraps didn't cut it for hose clamps under pressure.
    I used 3/4 inch line for take refill. I may change to 1/2. 3/4 is a pain to move around, I think a few mins more pump time may be better.

Apparently the blue on my lights needs to turned down a bit ... it doesn't look that way in person.
    Last edited by Makko; 07-06-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Makko's first Discus tank

Nice ! I like it ..
    Can't wait to see how you do .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Looking good mate
    Make sure you get covers though as discus will jump for freedom without them...many a beautiful discus has been air dried on the floor around these parts

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Looking good mate
    Make sure you get covers though as discus will jump for freedom without them...many a beautiful discus has been air dried on the floor around these parts
    I had that happen. I was watching, however. I was fast enough to beat both the dog and the cat to the scene of the slime. I got the fish back into the tank but his slime coat was shot but a dose of Prime and salt get it back after a few days. As I write this I am watching that same cleaning and making egg laying passes on a cone. Little does he know that he has paired with another male. Both fish are the gay I suspect.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Lee

I am looking at getting a cover. My wife likes the look of the open-top, so there's is a bit of contention and she usually/always wins those.

Real Name
    Daniel

That could end up being a very costly point to be unyielding on...

Registered Member

Do floating plants curb that jumping instinct? I am starting a new tank as well and it's an open top.

Real Name
    Tom

I think floating plants help .
    All my tanks are topless but I also lost 3 discus last year from my first group of 10.
    I suspect the jumpers were chased out by breeding pairs as it happened after months of being in the tank and while a pair was forming .
    Just me though ...
    Got rams ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Lee

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    I think floating plants help .
    All my tanks are topless but I also lost 3 discus last year from my first group of 10.
    I suspect the jumpers were chased out by breeding pairs as it happened after months of being in the tank and while a pair was forming .
    Just me though ...
    I love your setup I watched your youtube video. Some very nice fish.
    Having an open top is a big concern. When I torn down my reef tank I found a missing fish behind the tank. So I lost 1 fish to jumping in 4 years of a reef tank with around 13 fish.
    Losing a Discus to a jump would really really be disheartening.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Definitely use a tank top. I had some clear brackets that are commonly used with topless tanks and add an acrylic top or fine mesh. It isnt a question of IF a discus will jump out, but WHEN. and it always tends to be your favorite. I lost my favorite 7.5" turk in this way. I know because I measured him after he jumped and died

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Lee

My tank is a redsea 525.
    These guy make a top I like. https://www.clearviewlids.com

Its about the cost of a nice discus. I'm working on getting permission.

Real Name
    Tom

Nice ! BRS has do it yourself screen tops ..
    Not sure if hey are cheaper or better ..
    Got rams ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Lee

I got 9 discus from Hans. They seem to be doing fine. They do hide a lot under my driftwood, but eat.
    I have dialed back my lights a lot and mostly turned off my wave pumps. They seem to like it dark and little water movement.
    I only run the wave pumps a few times during the day at 10% lowest setting, just to stir up the poop.

They like FD blackworms a lot. I cant get the FDBW to sink and they wont eat off the surface. Currently I use a clip and they eat off that.
    It still wastes some but most of it is eaten.

Also I have 15 flameback tetras. I not sure I like them with the discus. They dart around a lot , so I'm not sure that make the discus more calm.
    They also grab and are more aggressive feeding than the discus. I may remove them.

Real Name
    Daniel

If your FDBW's are cubes press against the glass about halfway down the water column, they will stick to the glass

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    If your FDBW's are cubes press against the glass about halfway down the water column, they will stick to the glass

Yup, press them against the glass and you are all good. I used to use an inverted worm cone to feed my discus when they were babies but eventually just kept them on the cone since they were so used to it. I'm sure I have a video in my signature if you want to check it out .

Beautiful group btw.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast