AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: A few words about color....

Post A few words about color....

HI all,
    I was recently forwarded an inquiry the farm received regarding pigments and discus. Since I took the time to write up a lengthy email on the subject I thought I would share it here as the subject does come up frequently.

"
    As far as we know, discus do not make their own reds and orange Pigments, its something that they get from their food. If you have Red or Orange discus a diet rich in red pigments will enhance those reds. The problem is that many keepers of Discus have multiple strains in their tank. These mixed tanks can be an issue if the goal is to keep light colored fish close to their base colors.. Most strains like Red Turqs, leopards, all spotted strains, and Blue snakeskins require at least some reds in their diet to really show their potential. These may be fed any of the following Freeze Dried Blackworms : Bio Pigment Plus, Spinach Combo, and Original Worms. Alternating among these is a good strategy for these fish. To really make reds and oranges stand out the Biopigment Plus has added Red pigments and is really an excellent choice. Spinach Combo is okay too but lacks the same degree of pigments .

Yellow discus , white discus( White Diamonds), and any albinos should not be fed foods strong in red pigments unless some color change is acceptible. Discus take up red pigments well and these can turn yellow discus orange over time. White Diamonds will take on a creamy light yellow cast and albinos can turn yellowish. For these types of Discus I recommend our Original Freeze Dried Blackworms. These have no added pigment and little base pigment. I have many customers that have used them to keep yellows and pale fish from changing color. Our Spinach Combo is also able to be fed occasionally and should not have much affect on colors but the" Original "Worms are your best bet for these pale discus strains.

These are general guidelines, please understand that with some strains they will benefit from some pigments but too much may bleed into pale areas.. For instance, too much reds in their diet can turn a Blue Diamond's fins and tail a little yellowish, most would not notice it but some keepers might. For fish like this I would suggest the Spinach combo. Blue Diamonds in particular benefit from the added spinach content as this strain is prone to digestive issues.

Wild Discus may be fed any of the following : Freeze Dried Blackworms : Bio Pigment Plus, Spinach Combo, and Original. Most wild Discus will really show off their colors on a diet of Biopigment Plus and Spinach Combo. This is because as they mature and go into breeding they take up reds actively and so these must be in the Diet to really show wild discus potential.

A cautionary word on Pigments. Be careful because there are many foods that have them but do not say it.. Anything with crustaceans, Krill, Salmon,spirullina, green algaes contain reds and orange pigments in varying amounts that can affect Discus coloration. Most commercial pellets and flakes do as well. Blood worms may have pigments depending on the foods they ate so its best to avoid these as well if maintaining pale colored fish is your goal.

These observations are based on my experiences over the years offered as informational tips only. Please understand that its hard to know the effect of any one food on a particular strain of fishes coloration because it is the sum of all the foods fed that matters and the genetics of the fish themselves.

Best always,
    Al Sabetta
    SimplyDiscus"

I hope that this helps you decide which of our varieties you should choose.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Shan

Default Re: A few words about color....

Great write up Al. Thanks for the info

My personal experience with color is no matter what color a discus is, they are all gorgeous. I had a fire red which leaned on the orange side and I absolute loved the brightness. I've seen red turqs with bright red lines, but also regular turqs with brown lines and both looked outstanding.

We are lucky to be part of a hobby with such beautifully pigmented fish.
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

We are lucky to be part of a hobby with such beautifully pigmented fish.

Yes we are! Discus have so much to offer hobbyists!
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Over the past two months I have transitioned all of my fish to the fdbw bio pigment from Al. I either feed it on its own or I break up the cube and mix it with TetraColro and Bug Bites. Bug Bites is a blend of insect larva and salmon. Salmon is a red color enhancer on its own. Ihave a Blue Scorpion but it does not seem to adapt any red from the foods. I also have an Albino Millennium Gold discus which is usually lemon in color. Mine has taken on an orange shade which is okay. The Red Alenquer, Ica Red and Blue Alenquer achieved a reddish brown tone and yet the Red Heckle, which should be naturally red has no hint of red at all.

At the moment Al is sold out of almost all of his worms. Yet over the past month by searching his web store i have been able to find product to order. The entire event takes on the air of a treasure hunt, as it were. Yet there are fdbw worms to be had in Al's store if you are willing to devote the time to seek them out.