ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus & Goldfish

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Default Discus & Goldfish

Please accept my apology if this one has already been hashed out on this forum.

Have you seen this video/theory?

I find it fascinating and just may try it in a tank downstairs.

Default Re: Discus & Goldfish

Yes I have tried it in the past. It actually works really great (in my opinion) but only 2 or 3 fancy goldfish would work. Too many and the discus wont get food and the tank will be filled with goldfish poop. I personally don't believe goldfish can stay only in coldwater. I think they can adapt to a very wide range of temp. I don't like keeping discus with goldfish just because it looks weird (to me).

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeG View Post
    Yes I have tried it in the past. It actually works really great (in my opinion) but only 2 or 3 fancy goldfish would work. Too many and the discus wont get food and the tank will be filled with goldfish poop. I personally don't believe goldfish can stay only in coldwater. I think they can adapt to a very wide range of temp. I don't like keeping discus with goldfish just because it looks weird (to me).
    I am thinking of just 1 goldfish like in the video.

I used to put fancy goldfish and Shubunkins in my cement fountain out front of the house. That is until the Blue Heron ate them all and also cleaned out the neighbors pond. Anyway, they did well in water 90+ for months. Spring all the way into the fall. I have always agreed with this fellow in the video, they are not cold water fish. They are just fish. I had Koi outside in CA. They lived in VERY warm water. Where I lived, it got 110 degrees outside. Those carp loved it more the hotter it got.

1 goldfish would be perfect. I always kept more than 1. Not because goldfish need buddies, they can do well alone too.

I totally agree with you. I too had experience of keeping them in extreme temp. for years And they were just fine and thriving. Most asian countries have no problem keeping discus with goldfish. It is actually a very common thing in asia. It's just that people in other parts of the world thinks its impossible to do so.

They can handle the temps. I wouldn't keep one with my Discus, though.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Well, Rob is really doing his job!
    I picked up a fantail goldfish yesterday for the tank downstairs.
    Just wanted to try this and see if there is anything to it.

So far Rob is very happy.
    I don't think those goldfish have a brain in their heads. LOL
    He is orange and white with a tri tail.
    Cuter than a bug's ear. I love goldfish. Especially tri tails.
    The discus inhabitants seem to love him.
    At first they thought he was food and nipped just a bit at him.
    When they decided he was there to live, they started saddling up next to him.
    Now he has the complete run of the tank and YEP, he is down there just cleaning up the bottom like crazy.

He comes up and eats with the others and they seem to accept him in the pack.
    Quite strange.

I will let you know how it is going as things progress.

VincenZo

Registered Member

Aren't goldfish supposed to be pathogen factories? Or is that just the rejects sold at LFS?

Real Name
    Tom

Yeah I also had gold fish (left over feeders) in a tank for years. They are waste machines! Very high bio load. But if your changing the water daily I guess that won’t be a problem. But if your not you may want to start.
    This is tempting. I’m guessing feeders are no good. Will koi work? also I guess you didn’t qt it. Me I qt everything. Are there any small gold fish?
    Last edited by Iminit; 07-13-2020 at 04:21 PM.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Yeah I also had gold fish (left over feeders) in a tank for years. They are waste machines! Very high bio load. But if your changing the water daily I guess that won’t be a problem. But if your not you may want to start.
    This is tempting. I’m guessing feeders are no good. Will koi work? also I guess you didn’t qt it. Me I qt everything. Are there any small gold fish?
    That is the QT that I put it in. I already had 3 discus in it as well.

I would not use feeder gold fish and especially not koi. Koi take a dump that looks like a dog has been there! I got the fancy fantail type. Only one per tank. I checked my water this morning and it was perfect.

So far, so good.

Yep. Lots of WCs but only 50% at a time now.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Here is the problem I see with this video. It sounds like goldfish are being used to "prolong" the time between water changes by converting poop to "something else" which pollutes less?? If you look at the discus in the video I see discus which are somewhat stunted (larger eye), ratty fins and what appears to be the pits left by HITH, This suggests that the discus in the video are not living in the best water quality.

If folks wish to keep goldfish with discus that is fine. Please observe QT procedures. I would suggest before keeping goldfish with discus that new discus keepers learn how to properly keep discus well and healthy before experimenting with goldfish. This way they have a measuring tape on how well the discus are actually doing with goldfish. My two cents.
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 07-14-2020 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I noticed that too, Pat. The Discus in that video look like crap.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

This is an interesting topic. Gold fish will eat anything so for that reason they could be Beneficial to a discus tank. The video is a dealer. So a goldfish with discus for a short time probably won’t matter much. I didn’t notice the actual fish in the video. I have an advertisement taking half that page so I only get half a video. So hard to tell the quality of the fish. I would believe since a dealer he would be doing big water changes daily. My thought would be long term goldfish with discus. I’m thinking they may get a taste for the discus slime coat and really stress out the discus. So I’m watching Vinnie .

Real Name
    Mervin

Years ago tadpoles were used for algae and waste. Not so much anymore. Not sure if anyone tried them with discus.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 07-14-2020 at 09:47 AM.

Only accidentally. I had a huge spawn of them in with my Jet Black Ram fry. I waited until they got a little size on them so I could be sure of what I was catching. Thank goodness they're easy to catch in a BB tank, at least. They don't have the inborn fear of the net that fish have.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Shan

This looks really interesting. Ofc with a 50% WC every two days in addition to the goldfish, it can just be an extra layer of protection no? I know I have seen my discus pick at their poop sometimes
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast